Adamec: Morgan's redshirt...how soon will we know? | The Boneyard

Adamec: Morgan's redshirt...how soon will we know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Carl reports that UConn may apply for her redshirt as soon as today. If that happens, how long will it take to ge an answer?

BTW: what time is the draft on Monday?

Reaction Score
Carl reports that UConn may apply for her redshirt as soon as today. If that happens, how long will it take to ge an answer?

BTW: what time is the draft on Monday?
The draft is on Monday. ESPN2 8-9. ESPNU. 9-10:30

Reaction Score
Not sure what difference it makes. Per the rule she is eligible for a medical redshirt. I'm not aware of any precedent where the NCAA denies a medical redshirt when the player meets the criteria.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For the record: there was a somewhat heated debate here on whether Morgan met ALL the requirements. Geno himself after her surgery said that he simply didn't know if she was eligible for the redshirt.

HGN

Reaction Score
She will get it..........The young lady played in 8 games or less. Less than a third of the regular season. Had surgery and sat out the rest of the year including the AAC and NCAA Tournaments.

Reaction Score
They may institute a new version of the football "Tuck Rule" - if your team is just too much better than everyone else, then no redshirt if there's any possible loophole or ambiguity or gray area

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Not sure what difference it makes. Per the rule she is eligible for a medical redshirt. I'm not aware of any precedent where the NCAA denies a medical redshirt when the player meets the criteria.

Well, we are UCONN.

Reaction Score
For the record: there was a somewhat heated debate here on whether Morgan met ALL the requirements. Geno himself after her surgery said that he simply didn't know if she was eligible for the redshirt.

There was only a debate because some of the UConn writers were unwilling or unable to read the NCAA rules. She will get the hardship waiver and it should be fairly quick.

BTW, the appeal does not go to the NCAA, but rather to the conference. The NCAA would only review an appeal under unusual circumstances.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There was only a debate because some of the UConn writers were unwilling or unable to read the NCAA rules. She will get the hardship waiver and it should be fairly quick.

BTW, the appeal does not go to the NCAA, but rather to the conference. The NCAA would only review an appeal under unusual circumstances.
I know everyone likes to think the rule book defines every situation and the NCAA is a logical organization, but the truth is they are not. PSU broke no rules but the NCAA wanted to punish them so they did, UNC broke a ton of rules but the NCAA didn't want to punish them so they didn't.
Uconn like only a few other teams in history played a 31 game regular season so MT playing in game 15 is technically short of half of their regular season, but any other year I believe in Uconn history she would have been disqualified because of playing in that last game.
There is a reason you have to apply and there is a reason that the process is not a rubber stamp and the NCAA can chose some reason to disqualify her based on whatever logic they apply. Is it likely, no, but has the NCAA ever done something that defies logic ...YES.

Reaction Score
Isn't this taking longer than expected?
I believe that the AAC asked that UConn wait to submit their application because they were waiting on a couple of other applications from other schools and wanted to make rulings on all the applications at the same time.

Reaction Score
I know everyone likes to think the rule book defines every situation and the NCAA is a logical organization, but the truth is they are not. PSU broke no rules but the NCAA wanted to punish them so they did, UNC broke a ton of rules but the NCAA didn't want to punish them so they didn't.
Uconn like only a few other teams in history played a 31 game regular season so MT playing in game 15 is technically short of half of their regular season, but any other year I believe in Uconn history she would have been disqualified because of playing in that last game.
There is a reason you have to apply and there is a reason that the process is not a rubber stamp and the NCAA can chose some reason to disqualify her based on whatever logic they apply. Is it likely, no, but has the NCAA ever done something that defies logic ...YES.

Wrong!!! Unlike some other NCAA items, this is a mathematical formula that has been followed in every single medical hardship case in NCAA history It is absolutely a rubber stamp. No logic or subjectivity involved at all. The only way to think it doesn't go through is if you think UConn lied about the severity of her injury - which I don't think is the case.

Also, it appears you are not aware that the NCAA doesn't even rule on this issue. It is done by the league. Only certain appeals would make it to the NCAA. And I doubt even one appeal has ever been necessary in a case like this.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wrong!!! Unlike some other NCAA items, this is a mathematical formula that has been followed in every single medical hardship case in NCAA history It is absolutely a rubber stamp. No logic or subjectivity involved at all. The only way to think it doesn't go through is if you think UConn lied about the severity of her injury - which I don't think is the case.
Why didn't they apply the day after the championship game? If it were as simple as a rubber stamp, wouldn't it take about 10 seconds to grant Morgan her waiver instead of what are we two months now since the championship game and 4-5 months since the season ending surgery? Why would the conference tell UConn to wait because they want to rule on all the applications at once? Why should there be any ruling at all if it's just a "mathematical formula?" Furthermore, why should UConn oblige the conference? Whether Morgan has that extra year does impact recruiting to some degree, the amount of which is up for debate, and there has to be some benefit however small to Geno and company to know exactly how many scholarships they'll have in that next recruiting class. I hate to be cynical, but I'm kinda with UcMiami. The APR is a mathematical formula too until they decided to change the standard retroactively to screw us, so call me pessimistic for not taking mathematical formulas verbatim when it comes to deciding an outcome related to our athletics programs.

JS

Reaction Score
The denominator in the "no games beyond the first half of season" calculation is 32 games, not 31, because you add one game for the conference championship tournament. See my post here. She qualifies with room to spare.

Blake, the heat in the heated debate you remember was mostly stamfordhusky getting apoplectic, as he is now, over how misunderstandings of the rules created a false perception that the application was somehow controversial.

He does have the distinct advantage of being right. This isn't an iffy application. Relax, everyone.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
JS: thanks for your input....Perry never lost a case....and you are always right....period.

It seems unfair to an Ivy League team in that regard....they don't have a conference tourney....so they would have one less game
to fiddle with in regards to 50%????

Reaction Score
JS: thanks for your input....Perry never lost a case....and you are always right....period.

It seems unfair to an Ivy League team in that regard....they don't have a conference tourney....so they would have one less game
to fiddle with in regards to 50%????

If anything, the Ivy's benefit from the rule since their schedules are more back-end loaded due to not having a tournament. For example, Yale didn't start their second half until January 17th - far later than UConn or any school in a league with a tournament.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

You started out fine in the bolded text, then contradicted yourself and ended up bad.

The entirety of game 15 is in the first half of the season when the season comprises 30 or more games. If exactly 30 games, the 2nd half of the season commences at the tip-off of the 16th game.

Reaction Score
Why didn't they apply the day after the championship game? If it were as simple as a rubber stamp, wouldn't it take about 10 seconds to grant Morgan her waiver instead of what are we two months now since the championship game and 4-5 months since the season ending surgery? Why would the conference tell UConn to wait because they want to rule on all the applications at once? Why should there be any ruling at all if it's just a "mathematical formula?" Furthermore, why should UConn oblige the conference? Whether Morgan has that extra year does impact recruiting to some degree, the amount of which is up for debate, and there has to be some benefit however small to Geno and company to know exactly how many scholarships they'll have in that next recruiting class. I hate to be cynical, but I'm kinda with UcMiami. The APR is a mathematical formula too until they decided to change the standard retroactively to screw us, so call me pessimistic for not taking mathematical formulas verbatim when it comes to deciding an outcome related to our athletics programs.

1. There is a ruling because the AAC is required to review the medical evidence - not because they need to pull out a calculator to re-do the mathematical calculation, which indeed is nothing more than a "mathematical calculation" - no subjectivity or judgement whatsoever. The only way it is not a rubber-stamp situation is if UConn lied about her medical condition and that it really wasn't serious. Unless you believe UConn and its doctors lied, then you have nothing to worry about.

2. UConn has no choice but to oblige the conference since the AAC decides when they are going to meet and look at medical hardship applications. Sure, they could have sent it in earlier - but the ruling wouldn't have come any earlier.

3. There is no benefit to UConn from getting an early ruling since there is absolutely no chance they will consider giving out the max of 15 scholarships anyway.

4. What you say about the APR is not exactly accurate. However in any case, this case for the medical hardship waiver is a no-brainer.

5. The APR is administered by the NCAA. The Morgan Tuck hardship waiver request is NOT administered by the NCAA. In fact, the NCAA doesn't even look at it or have anything to do with it.

Reaction Score
Watching the 2002 NCAA final.
Does anyone remember why Sue Bird was denied the red shirt?
The commentator said she tore her ACL three minutes into her career.

Reaction Score

Bird tore her ACL in the 8th game of the 1998-99 season and was denied a red shirt because the rule at that time was participating in no more than 20% of games.

JS

Reaction Score
The commentator was wrong. Sue tore the ACL in the 8th game of her freshman year (1998-99). At the time, the rule was that you couldn't compete in more than 20 percent of the season's games, and she didn't qualify. Around 2007 the limit was raised to 30 percent, for which she would have qualified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom