Adamec: Geno on scheduling... Calls out other coaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Geno on scheduling... Calls out other coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The weak schedule helps them in the NCAA tournament. It gives them a high seed, and they have a few easy games. They coast through the regular season with only 10 challenging games.

Maryland is the only team in the country to boast about being destroyed by Notre Dame in the final 4. Notre Dame played without their leading rebounder, and out rebounded MD 50-21.

Yeah playing Louisville @Louisville was quite easy. Where did you find evidence of Maryland boasting about their Final 4 loss? Having a weak schedule helps in the NCAA tournament? I actually believe it's the opposite.

Reaction Score
Yeah playing Louisville @Louisville was quite easy. Where did you find evidence of Maryland boasting about their Final 4 loss? Having a weak schedule helps in the NCAA tournament? I actually believe it's the opposite.

How many ranked teams did Louisville beat last year ?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Trust me.... I am FULLY aware of all of the criticism... FULLY FULLY FULLY Aware :rolleyes:

Early exits are relative I suppose. 2008.... #3 seed..... lost to #2 seed TAMU in the sweet 16. 2009 #1 seed lost to Mich State in 2nd round. 2010-13 #2 seeds losing to #4 Griner, #1 UCONN, #1 Stanford, and #1 ND in the regional finals. 2014 #2 seed losing to Depaul in the second round at home. Disappointing exits of course.. but not really a steady diet of early exits.
You can spin it any way you like, but for a team with the pedigree of Duke any exit short of the Final Four is an early exit.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
#3.... two years ago... The triple overtime loss to ND at ND.. they didn't score 90?
Ah right, was using that year's media guide since the ones after stall out on me, and the 3OT did go to 97, so that would tie the second most a Geno team has given up, though obviously in far more minutes.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Louisville beat four ranked teams last year. Not great, could be worse.

Speaking of rankings and ratings, the RPI is now out with UConn at #213. Probably about time for the RPI worshipers to start citing it on every other line when they're comparing teams. UConn will probably be able to make it into the RPI's top 10 at the end of the season, but it could be close.

Reaction Score
For teams that are in the middle of the power conferences, the important
thing for their coaches is getting into the NCAA tournament. If you have
a lot of patsies on your non-conference schedule you will greatly enhance
your W-L record. Yes, the strength of schedule won't impress the committee,
but they can't ignore all those W's, and on balance you'll stand a better
chance of making the Dance.

Reaction Score
For teams that are in the middle of the power conferences, the important
thing for their coaches is getting into the NCAA tournament. If you have
a lot of patsies on your non-conference schedule you will greatly enhance
your W-L record. Yes, the strength of schedule won't impress the committee,
but they can't ignore all those W's, and on balance you'll stand a better
chance of making the Dance.
I think playing in a P5 adds another dimension in that it's a battle every game against your conference foes with some of those rivalries going back many decades. Games against weaker teams can be grinds even if on paper it shouldn't be close. We don't have that in our conference since we're the conference of misfit toys where everyone doesn't want to be there in the first place. Basically there's no conference pride, and if for no other reason because it's a new conference. Even Geno slipped and called it the Big East tournament last year.

Reaction Score
Louisville beat four ranked teams last year. Not great, could be worse.

Speaking of rankings and ratings, the RPI is now out with UConn at #213. Probably about time for the RPI worshipers to start citing it on every other line when they're comparing teams. UConn will probably be able to make it into the RPI's top 10 at the end of the season, but it could be close.

really ? 4 can you name them- I do not see one team in the final top 25

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2014/week/1/seasontype/3

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
really ? 4 can you name them- I do not see one team in the final top 25

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/year/2014/week/1/seasontype/3
You could check there schedule for yourself and count 1-2-3-4.

Here's the thing about rankings. Sometimes a team you play early in the season is expected to be good and have a top 25 ranking. Maybe they really weren't that good, and maybe they were but they lost a key player and slid downward afterward. Sometimes you hear the experts say that one of their fave team's wins was over say a #15 team and they don't say that they played that team in mid November when it was a mess and unranked. So the "ranked teams" stuff can be a bit relative to when you played a team.

But if you don't want to take the time to look it up on your own and need the info fed to you, the answers are LSU, Colorado, OK, and Rutgers that the Cards played while they were ranked, unless you don't believe the Cards schedule for last year and want to sneer away at them. They also of course ended up losing three games to UConn, plus ones at KY, and then in the regional final to MD.

And as has been pointed out many times when posters start with all the scheduling digs, it's not that easy to predict how good certain teams will be a year or two in advance when the schedules are put together. Look how miffed that some of UTenn's opponents must have felt in recent years when they found out they'd scheduled a lemon. The important point is not to schedule an OOC of 14 home games against local middling majors that can creep into the #300s in ratings, like certain SEC teams are known to do.

Reaction Score
You could check there schedule for yourself and count 1-2-3-4.

or you can name 4 teams in the final rankings Louisville beat - early season rankings mean nothing, they are just a popularity contest, not based on results

The fact is Louisville did not have a win vs a team in the final top 25

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regardless of a final ranking, when Louisville played these teams, they were ranked and that's probably what helped Louisville secure a 1 seed. So you are saying that any games played prior to the NCAA tournament should be disregarded if the teams aren't ranked? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The first weekend of the year, including Monday there are 245 WBB games scheduled. Only 4 games are being played where both teams are ranked. So many teams have weak OOC Schedules.
On the men's side there was one (SMU vs Gonzaga) in that same time frame. Just sayin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom