Adamec: Chong confident she has more to give | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Chong confident she has more to give

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Iamcbs - As I was reading the comments the thing I kept remembering was Jefferson's freshman year, which was generally a disappointment for her personally.
Jefferson played in all games with 2 starts. She played 677 minutes (17.4) shot .424/.266 for 4.7 ppg, with 69A, 49TO, 52S, and 1.4 rebounds
Chong played 39-4, 665 minutes (17.1) shot .420/.323 for 4.7 ppg, with 60A, 27TO, 24S, and 1.8 rebounds

Not sure you could find two freshman guards with as similar statistics at Uconn! They both had a few really nice games scattered amid a bunch of mediocrity and a bunch of mistakes. Transitioning to the college game is really hard for freshman, especially for such an exacting coaching staff and such a good team as Uconn. Jefferson might have had a little more confidence at the end of the year than Chong had, but they both were of limited usefulness in the NCAA. Things turned around for Jefferson and her sophomore year was fabulous, much better than was generally expected. And she was in Chong's ear at the end of the year explaining her experience which has to have helped Chong.
No idea what we see this year from Saniya, but I expect serious improvement - not like Jefferson who made an exceptional turnaround, but I think we will see a good player this year - one who is not scared to make a mistake which is where she ended up last year.

Reaction Score
I think your thoughts on Geno and perfection is right on, and I'm among the very few here who thinks that Saniya should have been given many more minutes in those blowouts so as to be able to find some of that confidence that she lost. It especially bothered me that she was not getting a whole lot more time than Pulido and Lawlor at the end.

Ya know, I wonder if he does this on purpose at times... I mean ya, Saniya could have easily gotten more minutes... but Geno didn't need her to win. By making her sit the bench as much as she did, it really motivated her to work harder. This season Geno is going want Saniya to put in 20+minutes a game at guard... AND she has already been super motivated to work hard because she sat most of the tournament last year. Same thing happened with Moriah, she could have easily gotten more play time her freshman year... but didn't. Go read up on the work out regiment she put herself thru during the summer after her freshman year. We all saw how that extra work she put in translated into the how well her sophomore year went. Seems like a recipe for success to me. Recruit talented players + motivate them to work harder then anyone else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nurse got a tremendous amount of experience playing at a level higher than Chong did. In addition, she is bigger and a much better defender than Chong. I believe it is only a matter of a few games before Nurse becomes a starter along side of MoJett. That guard combo could well be the best in WCBB this year.

Freshman don't start unless it is absolutely necessary... that doesn't mean Nurse or any of the other freshman won't get significant play time. Kaleena lead the team in scoring her freshman year, only started 1 game. Saniya is going to have to fall flat on her face to not start thru the year. Something I don't think is going to happen.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Iamcbs - As I was reading the comments the thing I kept remembering was Jefferson's freshman year, which was generally a disappointment for her personally.
Jefferson played in all games with 2 starts. She played 677 minutes (17.4) shot .424/.266 for 4.7 ppg, with 69A, 49TO, 52S, and 1.4 rebounds
Chong played 39-4, 665 minutes (17.1) shot .420/.323 for 4.7 ppg, with 60A, 27TO, 24S, and 1.8 rebounds

Not sure you could find two freshman guards with as similar statistics at Uconn! They both had a few really nice games scattered amid a bunch of mediocrity and a bunch of mistakes. Transitioning to the college game is really hard for freshman, especially for such an exacting coaching staff and such a good team as Uconn. Jefferson might have had a little more confidence at the end of the year than Chong had, but they both were of limited usefulness in the NCAA. Things turned around for Jefferson and her sophomore year was fabulous, much better than was generally expected. And she was in Chong's ear at the end of the year explaining her experience which has to have helped Chong.
No idea what we see this year from Saniya, but I expect serious improvement - not like Jefferson who made an exceptional turnaround, but I think we will see a good player this year - one who is not scared to make a mistake which is where she ended up last year.
I completely agree!!

Reaction Score
Ya know, I wonder if he does this on purpose at times... I mean ya, Saniya could have easily gotten more minutes... but Geno didn't need her to win. By making her sit the bench as much as she did, it really motivated her to work harder. This season Geno is going want Saniya to put in 20+minutes a game at guard... AND she has already been super motivated to work hard because she sat most of the tournament last year. Same thing happened with Moriah, she could have easily gotten more play time her freshman year... but didn't. Go read up on the work out regiment she put herself thru during the summer after her freshman year. We all saw how that extra work she put in translated into the how well her sophomore year went. Seems like a recipe for success to me. Recruit talented players + motivate them to work harder then anyone else.

It has been and will always be Geno's philosophy that you earn your minutes in practice and obviously Chong was not doing that. The comparisons to Jefferson are just not there either. Jefferson averaged close to 20 minutes per game in the 2013 NCAA tournament where as Chong was lucky to get garbage minutes with the "walk ons" in the 2014 NCAA tournament. IMHO I think that Nurse is hands down the better player and will be starting over Chong within the first 10 games of the season.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
It has been and will always be Geno's philosophy that you earn your minutes in practice and obviously Chong was not doing that. The comparisons to Jefferson are just not there either. Jefferson averaged close to 20 minutes per game in the 2013 NCAA tournament where as Chong was lucky to get garbage minutes with the "walk ons" in the 2014 NCAA tournament. IMHO I think that Nurse is hands down the better player and will be starting over Chong within the first 10 games of the season.

Agree about Geno's philosophy....just not sure why you have to trash Lawlor and Pulido in a discussion about Chong vs Jefferson. Yes, TLAW & Polly both walked on to the team last year in response to Stewie's tweet. But, they both worked their butts off in practice and in the weight room ALL SEASON. TLAW came in stone cold off the bench to play in 31 games and hit 42% of the 3 pt shots she took (8 for 19). How about this season we call them "returning players from last year." Yes, they both play toward the end of games rather than start, but "garbage minutes" is a term that is disrespectful of the effort both made for the good of the team. Sorry to be so critical, but this issue has come up several times in this thread. What do you think family and friends think when they read these comments? Let's all be more respectful of Tierney and Briana and their place on the team. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Agree about Geno's philosophy....just not sure why you have to trash Lawlor and Pulido in a discussion about Chong vs Jefferson. Yes, TLAW & Polly both walked on to the team last year in response to Stewie's tweet. But, they both worked their butts off in practice and in the weight room ALL SEASON. TLAW came in stone cold off the bench to play in 31 games and hit 42% of the 3 pt shots she took (8 for 19). How about this season we call them "returning players from last year." Yes, they both play toward the end of games rather than start, but "garbage minutes" is a term that is disrespectful of the effort both made for the good of the team. Sorry to be so critical, but this issue has come up several times in this thread. What do you think family and friends think when they read these comments? Let's all be more respectful of Tierney and Briana and their place on the team. Thanks.

How did I trash Lawlor or Pulido? Lawlor is one of my favorite players on the entire team! She busts her butt all over the court, never makes a "dumb" play, and when given her chance is pretty much automatic from the outside. If you think the term "garbage minutes" is disrespectful then that is on you, but it is a term that has been used for as long as I can remember and is in no way meant to be disrespectful towards anyone. Just like the term "garbage points" refers to chippy put backs and is not disrespectful. As far as me calling them "walk ons" I use that term as a badge of honor. I myself "walked on" at UConn and eventually earned a scholly on the Baseball team much like Lawlor and Pulido did. I understand probably more than anyone here that they have to out-work, out-hustle, and out-think the others. My post was not meant to be disrespectful in any way, shape, or form and I am sorry if you think otherwise.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
How did I trash Lawlor or Pulido? Lawlor is one of my favorite players on the entire team! She busts her butt all over the court, never makes a "dumb" play, and when given her chance is pretty much automatic from the outside. If you think the term "garbage minutes" is disrespectful then that is on you, but it is a term that has been used for as long as I can remember and is in no way meant to be disrespectful towards anyone. Just like the term "garbage points" refers to chippy put backs and is not disrespectful. As far as me calling them "walk ons" I use that term as a badge of honor. I myself "walked on" at UConn and eventually earned a scholly on the Baseball team much like Lawlor and Pulido did. I understand probably more than anyone here that they have to out-work, out-hustle, and out-think the others. My post was not meant to be disrespectful in any way, shape, or form and I am sorry if you think otherwise.

I'm glad we agree on Lawlor and her effort on and off the court. Sounds like you understand her situation better than most, given your background. Congrats on earning that scholarship. The term "garbage minutes" is often used to describe the last few minutes of games. I get that...no problem. But to say, Chong was lucky to get "garbage minutes" with Lawlor & Pulido is disrespectful, IMO, to TLAW and Polly. Why bring them into a discussion about Chong & Jefferson at all? Just my opinion. That said, I'm glad your post was not intended to be disrespectful. I believe you. For what it is worth, I have not read anything about Tierney receiving a scholarship. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that she is not on scholarship. Thanks.

Reaction Score
I hope the Chong optimists are correct about her improvement. I do not believe though they are correct when her diminished minutes are attributed to some strategy of Geno's , such as not needing her. As sawxfan23 said, game minutes are earned in practice. If in fact Geno strayed from that, he would have sent the wrong message to his players and as noted, hurt Chong's confidence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Good comparison. If Saniya is as good this year as Moriah was last year, we'll all be happy. Understatement! If that's the case, Geno will have another undefeated juggernaut. In Alex's terms, a "Wrath of God" team.

Reaction Score
I think you have to put things into perspective.

Last year's team was one of the best teams in WCBB history. Saniya wasn't going to get a lot of minutes in that situation no matter what. She just had to "be there" to give the team a lift if they needed it or someone got hurt. Noone got hurt and the team just bulldozed their way through the season after KML came back from her injuries.

I have no idea how she'll do this season but I'm pulling for her.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ive seen Chong play in person in HS. If she can get the confidence she had in HS this season she will be very special. If she can get half that confidence and perform like she did in HS she will be all Conference. She was a special player in HS. I hope she can transform that this season in college. JMO

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Sorry, but the term is "garbage time", not "garbage minutes".

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Sawxfan...Only 11.7 scholarships are available for a full baseball roster in NCAA D I. Unless you are a pitcher, you get only peanuts, if that. When UCONN women get a scholarship, it is a FULL scholarship. The euphemism "garbage" has no place in a sentence with their names in it.

Had to post this "earned a scholly" info since I know the facts well.

Reaction Score
Sawxfan...Only 11.7 scholarships are available for a full baseball roster in NCAA D I. Unless you are a pitcher, you get only peanuts, if that. When UCONN women get a scholarship, it is a FULL scholarship. The euphemism "garbage" has no place in a sentence with their names in it.

Had to post this "earned a scholly" info since I know the facts well.

Found, missing no more. Welcome back.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Jefferson also had a very good spell guarding Diggins.
Frustrated her and made her make some out-of-control plays, just as she did this season against McBride.
The difference (from my limited perspective), is that I deemed Jefferson ready from day 1.
I may have been wrong about that and Jefferson admitted to having confidence issues.
But there was no doubt, even in season 1 of her abilities.

About the frosh…who knows
Nurse has regularly played on a higher level and was more engaged and confident than even Stewie
The other kids each have unique skill sets. With 4 of them, helping each other out and supporting each other.
The richness of their potential may emerge earlier.

I find the silence from the new facility absolutely deafening.
I can recall no season that Geno didn't complain regularly about the freshman throughout pre-season
or needle one of the upperclassmen (even in jest).
What's going on?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
RVW...Just a drive by, but thanks...since my son was a D I baseball player, and since I paid the bills, I know about "baseball scholarships"...

Reaction Score
Jefferson also had a very good spell guarding Diggins.
Frustrated her and made her make some out-of-control plays, just as she did this season against McBride.
The difference (from my limited perspective), is that I deemed Jefferson ready from day 1.
I may have been wrong about that and Jefferson admitted to having confidence issues.
But there was no doubt, even in season 1 of her abilities.

About the frosh…who knows
Nurse has regularly played on a higher level and was more engaged and confident than even Stewie
The other kids each have unique skill sets. With 4 of them, helping each other out and supporting each other.
The richness of their potential may emerge earlier.

I find the silence from the new facility absolutely deafening.
I can recall no season that Geno didn't complain regularly about the freshman throughout pre-season
or needle one of the upperclassmen (even in jest).
What's going on?

You're right. It has been quiet. I think you might draw some conclusions, or maybe not it could just be hyperbole on Geno's part, by
listening to a replay of this morning's AAC WBB media day. All of the coaches were present and Geno rant's about if it was up to him he would recruit 10 foreign players is somewhat telling ! He goes on about AAU basketball and personal trainers (doesn't like either, thinks they don't teach you how to play the game correctly).

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Jefferson was certainly not ready from day one in her freshman year, but spent a sometimes erratic regular season that got her to the point that she could contribute valuable change-of-pace minutes with Doty slowed, Ferris on fire, and Hartley having gone through some injuries. She had an opportunity then that Chong was not going to get with Geno comfortable at having her and Hartley teaming for most of the tourney minutes.

Chong got her opportunity when KML was out especially early on, and the 16 points against the then #13 PSU showed that she had absorbed some of the UConn training. A chart posted last season of her stats versus the nation's top rated freshmen (which she was not) showed that even late in the season her overall stats were superior to most of the more-prized recruits, especially her incredible A\TO ratio.

But, yeah there were a number of posters who just disparaged her as a garbage time player and could see little future for her at UConn. It's always good for the sophomores to have some doubters to light the fires for them, just as MoJeff had loads of nay-says following her freshman year, when we all "knew" that she would never be able to hit a 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom