Achonwa on Nurse | The Boneyard

Achonwa on Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In an article about the Pan Am championship game Natalie said that no one could keep up with Kia. Moriah could keep up with her, but she was so worn down it took a lot out of her. Being the only true point guard on the team didn't help. Also, they didn't have the right players to keep up with Kia. I'm not sure who did and didn't try out, but there were certainly guards who could have kept up with her. I guarantee you that Napheesa will keep up with Kia and then some. Having said that, Kia was spectacular and by far the best player on the floor. She was responsible for Canada winning the Pan Am championship.

Reaction Score
In an article about the Pan Am championship game Natalie said that no one could keep up with Kia.

I watched every one of her games last year and don't remember ever thinking that Kia was fast or quick, especially for a guard.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kia played with a ton of poise from Day 1 and continued to against ND in April. Now she seems like a kid ready to make a sophomore leap in a big way. To think about what that could mean for UConn in 2015-16 in mind-boggling. We knew we were getting the three stars from the 2012 recruiting class back, and we knew a stellar recruiting class was coming in. We're thinking about how good Gabby could be, if Chong could improve just enough to be an extremely efficient shooter, if Ekmark could stay healthy and start shining, etc. we're anticipating Natalie Butler will be exactly the sort of player who UConn didn't have last season. And on top of that, Kia could become a star!

Only these UConn kids could have someone like me (who spent most of his life in warmer weather) be unable to wait for November. It's hard to fathom how good this team could be.

Reaction Score
Kia played with a ton of poise from Day 1 and continued to against ND in April. Now she seems like a kid ready to make a sophomore leap in a big way. To think about what that could mean for UConn in 2015-16 in mind-boggling. We knew we were getting the three stars from the 2012 recruiting class back, and we knew a stellar recruiting class was coming in. We're thinking about how good Gabby could be, if Chong could improve just enough to be an extremely efficient shooter, if Ekmark could stay healthy and start shining, etc. we're anticipating Natalie Butler will be exactly the sort of player who UConn didn't have last season. And on top of that, Kia could become a star!

Only these UConn kids could have someone like me (who spent most of his life in warmer weather) be unable to wait for November. It's hard to fathom how good this team could be.
Good enough that even if you could adjust for familiarity of playing together (vs not) I would pick the Huskies over an all star team of non Huskies. An amazing statement but I truly believe it.

Reaction Score
Good enough that even if you could adjust for familiarity of playing together (vs not) I would pick the Huskies over an all star team of non Huskies. An amazing statement but I truly believe it.

Birdfan10-I can see your vision. First, seamless teamwork is invaluable. Now, let's put together a top WBB team--Start with the best player in the country - Stewie; next we have to have the best point guard setting things up--MO; then have an inside scorer with silky moves and high % shot - Tuck; add in a two guard who has point guard skills and international experience - Nurse; finish up the starters with a 6'5" center who is a double - double threat. The bench would be the two best recruits in the land - Collier and Lou. Add in a Gabby, Chong, Boykin, & Ekmark. The chemistry is perfect and the movement is flowing. Hey posters--put up your team from the rest of the country. Just remember, 5 great players don't make a great team. Look at the PanAm team, and at times, the U-19 team. Not so synchronized.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Wrong thread, sorry.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Kia is deceptively quick, especially on defense. She's excellent at beating her man to the spot. She also is very quick with the ball in the open court. Playing next to Mo will make anyone look slow, but she's definitely isn't.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I watched every one of her games last year and don't remember ever thinking that Kia was fast or quick, especially for a guard.
I never saw her as particularly quick, but fast, yes. But, and speaking only for myself, it's easy to lose track of the fact that she is 6'. Not a small person.

Reaction Score
Kia is exceptionally strong, too. I think part of having trouble "keeping up with her" is an inability to manhandle her as happens with other players. She is certainly quick enough but I haven't seen anyone who can keep her from the basket when she makes her mind up that's where she's going. My only concern was her being called for charges but that improved as the season went on. In some ways she reminds me of Lindsay Whalen with her style of play, and I believe Lindsay was a favorite of Geno's on the USA squad.

Reaction Score
Kia is deceptively quick, especially on defense. She's excellent at beating her man to the spot. She also is very quick with the ball in the open court. Playing next to Mo will make anyone look slow, but she's definitely isn't.

No, she is not slow and she has nice height, along with other skills. I really like her as a player, obviously. She is just not quick (deceptively quick is a rather weak endorsement), and most guards on top 20 teams would beat her in a sprint (imo). The fact that she can overcome this slight disadvantage with her basketball intelligence is greatly to her credit.

Look forward to seeing her play for 3 more years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Great points. I'm not sure if we have any kids who are going to be on the same level as Stewie, Maya, or Diana, but it sure seems like we have kids who will be "as good as" Charles, Bird, Jones, Cash and Jefferson. All of those are Olympians or future Olympians.

I believe Morgan, Kia, Gabby, KLS and Napheesa all have the capability of being in that 2nd group. That's pretty phenomenal if you think about it...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, she's not quick like Mo, but who is? She beats people down the floor consistently and stays in front of her man on defense. To me that means she's pretty quick. Especially for a 6' guard.

Reaction Score
Kia is exceptionally strong, too. I think part of having trouble "keeping up with her" is an inability to manhandle her as happens with other players. She is certainly quick enough but I haven't seen anyone who can keep her from the basket when she makes her mind up that's where she's going. My only concern was her being called for charges but that improved as the season went on. In some ways she reminds me of Lindsay Whalen with her style of play, and I believe Lindsay was a favorite of Geno's on the USA squad.

Great post, Lynx. Kia is one really hard-nosed kid who is Canadian-hockey tough. She hasn't got Moriah's finesse or speed (nobody does!) but it is virtually impossible for a guard to muscle her off the ball, she loves playing in-your-face defense, and she's completely fearless driving in the paint. Last year Kia went to the foul line more times and made more (70-97) than anyone on the team not named Stewie, while taking the fewest shots of any starter. With greater confidence (from the Pan Ams) and a year of play under her belt, I expect those numbers to be even better.

While I think Kia could one day become a Husky great, it would be incredible if she developed into a Lindsay Whalen type player. Whalen is a fantastic leader on the court, and in terms of aggressive, fearless play Kia reminds me a lot of her.

Honing her passing skills and ball-handling will result in Kia becoming, as Twain noted, A Connecticut Husky in King Geno's Court, and a great one at that. [I already forgave her for upending Stewie and Moriah;)]

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
She was deceiving ly fast- and what I remember more than a few times at the games was that even when you thought she was at top speed. She had one more high gear left.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seriously? Because I drew the exact opposite conclusion. In all the UCONN games last year Kia Nurse was the second fastest/quickest guard on UCONN which made her the 2nd quickest guard on the court except maybe Loyd of ND and Williams of USF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is just not quick (deceptively quick is a rather weak endorsement), and most guards on top 20 teams would beat her in a sprint (imo). The fact that she can overcome this slight disadvantage with her basketball intelligence is greatly to her credit.
This is an equally weak premise but I'll bite. Name me two top 20 guards not named Mo Jefferson that Kia could not wup in a sprint?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So when reading this thread, I'm thinking 'whoa we may have jumped the shark with our anticipation for this team.' But here's the thing, there's nothing in it that I disagree with. The turbo version of Kia is an awesome addition to/variation on what was already a pretty deadly backcourt.

Thinking that way runs counter to my New England pessimism, so it makes me a little uneasy. Still, Jefferson, Nurse, Tuck, Stewart and Butler? That's just sick.

I am really looking forward to this season. I think it is going be something special, even by UConn standards.

Reaction Score
This is an equally weak premise but I'll bite. Name me two top 20 guards not named Mo Jefferson that Kia could not wup in a sprint?

Saniya Chong is one on UConn

Reaction Score
Ooooh, John Havlicek, my favorite player growing up. What a great analogy. Hondo outworked everyone and never stopped moving. Loved the man.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I like Kia and I am hoping/anticipating that the summer games will raise her game come November to a new level.

Last year, my only concern about her wasn't that she wasn't fast - I thought at times she was too fast and a bit out of control and picked up fouls that could have been avoided had her speed been under better control. This is where I am hoping to see real improvement in her game.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Great post, Lynx. Kia is one really hard-nosed kid who is Canadian-hockey tough. She hasn't got Moriah's finesse or speed (nobody does!) but it is virtually impossible for a guard to muscle her off the ball, she loves playing in-your-face defense, and she's completely fearless driving in the paint. Last year Kia went to the foul line more times and made more (70-97) than anyone on the team not named Stewie, while taking the fewest shots of any starter. With greater confidence (from the Pan Ams) and a year of play under her belt, I expect those numbers to be even better.

While I think Kia could one day become a Husky great, it would be incredible if she developed into a Lindsay Whalen type player. Whalen is a fantastic leader on the court, and in terms of aggressive, fearless play Kia reminds me a lot of her.

Honing her passing skills and ball-handling will result in Kia becoming, as Twain noted, A Connecticut Husky in King Geno's Court, and a great one at that. [I already forgave her for upending Stewie and Moriah;)]

One small demurrer. By midseason Kia was not lacking in confidence, but I do think there were times when she deferred to more senior members of the team, to the detriment of her offensive production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom