ACC versus 1-AA attrition | The Boneyard

ACC versus 1-AA attrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I posted this on another site, but thought you might find this interesting as well...

Games like SU v Nova make the ACC a very open target year after year; adding fuel to the fire for the other 4 P5 conference fans and sports media to ridicule the ACC. Sure, other conferences have had their woes, but not like the ACC.

Number of schools with losses to 1-AA opponents (at the time a school was 1-AA) by conference since the division was created:

ACC - 11 (all except SU, Clemson and FSU)
B1G - 6 (RU, PSU, UM, IU, NW and Minnesota)
Big XII - 5 (ISU, KU, KSU, TT and TCU)
SEC - 5 (UF, USC-e, Ole Miss, MSU and Ark)
PAC - 4 (Stanford, OSU, Utah and Colorado)

Even my "mighty" Hokies have lost to VMI in the early 80s and JMU recently. Note, Tech won the ACC beating the Noles that same year they lost to JMU.

Reaction Score
I posted this on another site, but thought you might find this interesting as well...

Games like SU v Nova make the ACC a very open target year after year; adding fuel to the fire for the other 4 P5 conference fans and sports media to ridicule the ACC. Sure, other conferences have had their woes, but not like the ACC.

Number of schools with losses to 1-AA opponents (at the time a school was 1-AA) by conference since the division was created:

Even my "mighty" Hokies have lost to VMI in the early 80s and JMU recently. Note, Tech won the ACC beating the Noles that same year they lost to JMU.
The issue I have with the ACC is this...the B1G a year or 2 ago voted to not play FCS (1AA) teams anymore. Now they have no problem scheduling teams from the AAC and the MAC. The ACC followed the SEC's lead about not counting games against "G-5" schools like the MAC and the AAC yet continue to play FCS (1AA) schools. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Reaction Score
The issue I have with the ACC is this...the B1G a year or 2 ago voted to not play FCS (1AA) teams anymore. Now they have no problem scheduling teams from the AAC and the MAC. The ACC followed the SEC's lead about not counting games against "G-5" schools like the MAC and the AAC yet continue to play FCS (1AA) schools. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I agree to a large extent. However, I know the B1G schools have alienated some fellow intrastate 1-AA schools by that vote as well; causing those 1-AA schools to lose the cash payout of that 1-A game. Some states, like Virginia, have mandated that UVa, VT and now ODU play 1-AA schools and pay them to play as well. That may be why a lot of SEC and ACC schools keep the 1-AA teams on their schedules. Many 1-A schools don't want to play against 1-AA because they'd rather have more high-profile games and not risk potentially embarrassing themselves should they lose. I wonder if the Michigan loss to Appalachia State several years ago had something to do with the B1G's decision to banish the 1-AA from their schedules? Maybe so... maybe not. But the conspiracy theorist in me makes me think.

The following link is how individual coaches feel about the topic. But it matters not as some university presidents and State legislatures are calling the shots...
http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

Reaction Score
Schedule/contracts are years in advance. If they vote in 2013 to not play G5 or FCS schools it could be a few years until they are all off the schedule.

Reaction Score

I hope PSU gets to pay Lehigh back for the beating they gave us back in 1889 LOL.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I agree to a large extent. However, I know the B1G schools have alienated some fellow intrastate 1-AA schools by that vote as well; causing those 1-AA schools to lose the cash payout of that 1-A game. Some states, like Virginia, have mandated that UVa, VT and now ODU play 1-AA schools and pay them to play as well. That may be why a lot of SEC and ACC schools keep the 1-AA teams on their schedules. Many 1-A schools don't want to play against 1-AA because they'd rather have more high-profile games and not risk potentially embarrassing themselves should they lose. I wonder if the Michigan loss to Appalachia State several years ago had something to do with the B1G's decision to banish the 1-AA from their schedules? Maybe so... maybe not. But the conspiracy theorist in me makes me think.

The following link is how individual coaches feel about the topic. But it matters not as some university presidents and State legislatures are calling the shots...
http://espn.go.com/college-football...r-five-coaches-want-power-five-only-schedules

There just aren't that many D1-AA schools in the Midwest. Illinois has four, Pennsylvania has seven, and rest don't have many. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota don't have any. What the Midwest has a bunch of is G5 schools. The majority of MAC schools are located in Ohio (6) and Michigan (3). Many schools have D2 and D3 schools to go along with the Big10 and MAC teams. Michigan alone has 8 D2 schools and Ohio has several others as well. I think it's who's in the area.

Reaction Score
There just aren't that many D1-AA schools in the Midwest. Illinois has four, Pennsylvania has seven, and rest don't have many. Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota don't have any. What the Midwest has a bunch of is G5 schools. The majority of MAC schools are located in Ohio (6) and Michigan (3). Many schools have D2 and D3 schools to go along with the Big10 and MAC teams. Michigan alone has 8 D2 schools and Ohio has several others as well. I think it's who's in the area.

That's exactly right. The east coast seems to be loaded with 1-AA schools. I wish some state legislatures would let that pay to play a 1-AA school go. As a matter of fact, I'd rather play some non-P5 1-A schools than 1-AA schools. NDSU, Youngstown St., Northern Iowa, Richmond, Furman, W&M and Villanova are better than some MAC, CUSA and Sunbelt schools.

Reaction Score
I hope PSU gets to pay Lehigh back for the beating they gave us back in 1889 LOL.

FWIW... PSU's lone loss was to Cincinnati in 1983. I guess UC dropped down to 1-AA for a brief period and climbed back up to 1-A? PSU's one FCS loss seems more of a technicality.

Reaction Score
FWIW... PSU's lone loss was to Cincinnati in 1983. I guess UC dropped down to 1-AA for a brief period and climbed back up to 1-A? PSU's one FCS loss seems more of a technicality.

I did not know that about Cincy. That was a strange, strange season for PSU. We lost to such juggernauts as Cincy and BC, but defeated both Bama and ND. Strange indeed.

Reaction Score
I think your understanding of the intent of the rule is incorrect. ACC and SEC both have rules that each school must play at least one P5 non-conference to bolster strength of schedule for the individual school and the conference. The schools can still play G5 schools as freely and as easily as they can FCS schools with any remaining open spots. No one is suggesting that schools from those leagues stop playing G5. Frankly depending on how the playoffs work, you may see more G5s than FCSs on future schedules depending on how much SoS is measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom