ACC/MD Settlement | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC/MD Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you think UoL > UMD then your an idiot.

I live in Louisville, you drive 5 miles outside of this city in any direction and guess what, nobody cares about UoL.

Let me guess... Wildcat Blue? Kentucky is Wildcat Country. If I had to guess, half of Louisville is probably Wildcat Country as well.

But athletically, UL has been successful in multiple sports. Recently, slightly better than UMCP. However, UMCP > UL IMO because it 1) owns the state of Maryland in terms of alumni, 2) is more credible academically, 3) is smack in the middle of the 4th largest (when counting DC & Baltimore together) metro area in the U.S and 4) generally fields athletic teams as good or better than UL in typical years (not counting football).

And I'm still confused as to how UL is labeled a "football school." They've been solid for the past decade, but even that is somewhat false when you consider the Kragthorpe years in between. UL is as much of a football commodity as Pitt and GT. They have the potential for good seasons, but not exactly Clemson or FSU either.

Reaction Score
Wildcat Blue and Hoosier Crimson & Cream. Louisville is surrounded.

Yeah, I'd say the city itself is 50/50 with UoL maybe having a recent slight edge. In fact, before the YUM Center, UK used to play a game a season at Freedom Hall just for the local UK fans.

Outside of The Ville, KY is probably 90% UK. It's not even close.

Reaction Score
Louisville is so dominant that they are .500 against UConn in their time in the BE/AAC together (and in history since that's the first time they played) , losing at home to an abysmal UConn team during UL's most successful season ever. Cards hired Kragthorpe, UConn hired Pasqualoni. Both temas suffered, Lousiville had better timing.

I get that you guys like to throw out you have beat Louisville in recent years but what conferences really look at is top level success ( in that same time Louisville won 2 BCS bowls in Football and played in several BB National Championships) and more importantly what I have been pointing out is fan support. Louisville averages 52k in football 21.5k in basketball attendance and is near the top in revenue even before joining the ACC. Uconn averages around 33k in football and around 12k in Mens BB and around the middle in revenue. Its more than just timing. Louisville has built a strong program over the last 10-15 years. Uconn has had a lot of success in Basketball but as many have pointed out, realignment is about football first.

Reaction Score
As an ACC guy I've had a good look at UMD for the last 20 years. Their fan support (and fans) is extremely fickle in an area with plenty of other good options. Maybe this changes in the B1G but I'll place my bets on Louisville from what I have seen so far. Way better fan support and it shows in their revenues.

The discussion here isn't about who has more fans. The discussion is about who is more valuable.

Reaction Score
I get that you guys like to throw out you have beat Louisville in recent years but what conferences really look at is top level success ( in that same time Louisville won 2 BCS bowls in Football and played in several BB National Championships) and more importantly what I have been pointing out is fan support. Louisville averages 52k in football 21.5k in basketball attendance and is near the top in revenue even before joining the ACC. Uconn averages around 33k in football and around 12k in Mens BB and around the middle in revenue. Its more than just timing. Louisville has built a strong program over the last 10-15 years. Uconn has had a lot of success in Basketball but as many have pointed out, realignment is about football first.

You're talking crazy. Several national BBall championships? Try ONE.

Reaction Score
People like winning teams and Louisville has had plenty of that lately. They also like to watch winning teams play other winning teams which is why people from all over the country will tune in to watch Louisville play. Same reason that Miami gets great TV ratings nationwide (when they are good). Well see how well the B1G strategy works when cable goes a la carte and the excitement dies down at UMD and Rutgers.

Last a checked, Chestnut is Boston, a major TV market. By that same logic, Storrs isnt really a big market either is it?
UConn is to the State of Connecticut what UK is to Ky.and what
Louisville (KY)and BC (Mass)are not.

Reaction Score
Exactly. You are picking your words carefully to not be making the more obvious points, since you can't make them. You sound like a friggin lawyer.

OK, played in one and won one. Does that really make it any different? They still appeared in 2 National Championships.

Reaction Score
I understood clearly. That's why I responded that they played in ONE.

UConn has won 4 NCs in the last 15 years which is more impressive than Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and yes... UL.

As for football, UConn has been FBS/Div. 1-A for 15 years compared to UL's 75 +/- years. UL has been to 2 Alliance/BCS bowls in its program history. UConn has been to 1 already in 15 years of FBS existence. UConn athletics loves to win just like UL in every sport they attempt to play. So to me, both are impressive from top to bottom in their athletic departments. But I give the edge to UConn because 1) they are a better school academically, 2) control the state of Connecticut as a flagship university and 3) have a much stronger media market. If not for FSU's strong insistence and threats to leave the ACC, UConn would have been UMCP's replacement.

So, I expect UL to struggle in football in years to come. They were placed in FSU and Clemson's division which will be 2 losses in most normal years. Then I see UL struggling against teams like NCSU, SU and BC, going roughly .500 in most given years. Right now, UL is riding high from the Strong years, that UF victory 2 years ago and the fact that they got Petrino back.

UConn, on the other hand, would probably start off slow like they did in the old Big East. But in time, they'd figure out how to be competitive and start beating schools like BC, SU, Pitt, GT, NCSU, etc. UConn would also be the type of team that would go into Lane Stadium and beat Virginia Tech or go to Papa Johns stadium and beat UL.

In the end, I see similar athletic programs. But one program matches the pre-2012 ACC academic and cultural profile and the other doesn't. I still scratch my head, but I guess Swofford knows what he's doing???

Reaction Score
UConn is to the State of Connecticut what UK is to Ky.and what
Louisville (KY)and BC (Mass)are not.

I agree with the UL to KY analogy. I'm not sure about the state of Massachusetts. To me, UMass is realistically that state's school, but being a newcomer to FBS football, BC could make a case that they are Massachusetts' college football team. But they sing "Sweet Caroline" at their games which is the one of the worst football chants I've ever heard next to UVa's "Auld Land Syne." Mass is a strange state like NY and no one really cares about college football in either state. The Patriots are likely Massachusetts #1 college football team ;)

Reaction Score
You're right, when visitors come here and tell us it's all about winning or football getting better and that's why schools X was taken instead of UConn, we generally like to point out the facts that we have played UL to a draw and have a winning record over SyraPitt. Facts are pesky things. And can you list the "several" BB National Championships UL played in during the time they won 2 BCS bowls? I remember of 2012/13 title, what were the others? And do you really want to bring BB into the equation? Just be happy for your school and the fact they found their life raft. You can do that without being a when you visit here. Or better yet, stick to UL and ACC boards when the urge hits you to thump your chest about Louisville. Thanks your interest in UConn athletics.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yeah Petrino really had them in the toilet.... Its always fun to see how butthurt you guys are about not getting a seat at the big boy table.
Well if you really want to see butthurt go to Louisville board and post this:

Reaction Score
Well if you really want to see butthurt go to Louisville board and post this:

Never gets old thanks for posting. And it was not a fair catch wave of the hand. It was wet, he started to slip and was simply regaining his balance. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not a Louisville fan, just an observer.

Yes Kragthorpe sucked but overall they have been very successful in the last 10 years with Petrino and Strong. Athletic Revenue backs this up as well.
I think our point and most of us understood it this way, but for you with your LCC wannabe degree, the point is we are coming off of a very bad three years ourselves. We are hoping that coach Diaco, will be to UConn what Strong was for Louisville. We also, know what our potential is, regarding TV sets, and on the field with a good coach. Randy Edsall had potential, he got us right to the line and then left in a disgusting way - but at least he was not nearly as offensive as Coach Petrino!

Reaction Score
Let me guess... Wildcat Blue? Kentucky is Wildcat Country. If I had to guess, half of Louisville is probably Wildcat Country as well.

But athletically, UL has been successful in multiple sports. Recently, slightly better than UMCP. However, UMCP > UL IMO because it 1) owns the state of Maryland in terms of alumni, 2) is more credible academically, 3) is smack in the middle of the 4th largest (when counting DC & Baltimore together) metro area in the U.S and 4) generally fields athletic teams as good or better than UL in typical years (not counting football).

And I'm still confused as to how UL is labeled a "football school." They've been solid for the past decade, but even that is somewhat false when you consider the Kragthorpe years in between. UL is as much of a football commodity as Pitt and GT. They have the potential for good seasons, but not exactly Clemson or FSU either.

U of L is a basketball first school and not a football first school. We are working on football, but basketball is king here.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is this: Louisville got 2 calls immediately after that resulted in 10 points. The calls were even more ridiculous.
I didn't say it cost us the game. I said it still hurts. It was a bad call that could get kids hurt and that is why they changed the rule the next season. UConn football helped write some of the football rules.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is this: Louisville got 2 calls immediately after that resulted in 10 points. The calls were even more ridiculous.

My LCC degree is good enough to read about that Big East Conference apology for that Unfair Catch incident. Clearly I skipped a few classes on ex post facto rationalization though. That must be a major at UCONN.

P.S. Yes it still burns.

Reaction Score
My LCC degree is good enough to read about that Big East Conference apology for that Unfair Catch incident. Clearly I skipped a few classes on ex post facto rationalization though. That must be a major at UCONN.

P.S. Yes it still burns.

I make my mind up by myself, I don't wait for John Marinatto to tell me what to think. Clearly you skipped a few classes.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to join a new conference so I can troll other schools' boards and brag about it.

I understand why you might think that I'm a troll, but you'll have to explain the "brag about it" part. Remember, I have a "wanna be" LCC degree, so please use small words and proceed slowly.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger