ACC/MD Settlement | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ACC/MD Settlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The things you learn on this board never cease to amaze me. Temple, a city school with limited appeal in its own city, is a better add than the flagship school of a state of nearly 10 million people. Philadelphians who at worst loathe all things Pittsburgh related and at best are completely indifferent, would clamor to their cable operators to carry The ACCN in order to watch third tier garbage Pitt Games. I buy this.

Reaction Score
I do think Temple brings more value than Rutgers or at least the same. Temple is one of the top 10 winningest basketball programs in college basketball history. I showed you the Rutgers-Louisville basketball game in the 2014 AAC tournament for you to get a perspective of Rutgers basketball. Temple's football program has accomplished about equal to what Rutgers has which isn't much. Given all of that, Temple would be about the same kind of addition. I'm not sure that the ACC would want them because like Rutgers the football isn't great. It would be a similar work in progress. And I have done nothing but promote UConn to the Syracuse faithful as well as here with the UConn faithful. You are confusing with someone else in that regard.
Since when has BB moved CR? Temple FB about equal? So when RU puts more fans in a Temples homegame than Temple because there that popular the B1G should consider them? How many FB recruits does Temple/Philly bring? TVs? I love and pull for Temple but can't imagine there even good enough to be vetted for the P5 and yet their fans think there ACC bound. Stimp you're nutz. I agree they(Temple) fit the ACC profile of mainly small regional privates(with only a NC/Va footprint) as RU as you know preferred the AAC to the ACC!

Reaction Score
The things you learn on this board never cease to amaze me. Temple, a city school with limited appeal in its own city, is a better add than the flagship school of a state of nearly 10 million people. Philadelphians who at worst loathe all things Pittsburgh related and at best are completely indifferent, would clamor to their cable operators to carry The ACCN in order to watch third tier garbage Pitt Games. I buy this.
StimpyCuse is absolutely delusional and i can't believe he believes his own bs!?! Talk about nutso.

Reaction Score
Sure.

I can only imagine the outrage of the 12 Pitt fans in Philly over not being able to see that Notre Dame - Pitt game every sixth year.
True, but any hypothetical ACC network would be bundled with all ESPN channels which losing would piss a lot people off

Reaction Score
Lol. This could describe me and probably does.

My fear is that UConn joins the ACC, and is therefore unavailable when the B1G expands to 16, 18, or 20.

I foresee the next round of B1G expansion to include one, or all three, from Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

There needs to be UConn available to close out the north end of the NE Corridor, plus the 3 B12 schools are an odd number and there needs to be an even number.

So ... I am decidedly for UConn in the B1G, but am rooting against UConn in the ACC.

I know ya'll just want the heck out of the AAC.

Now that MY-ACC is settled, we'll soon see if the B1G's long-rumored "Plan A" - expansion with ACC schools along the eastern seaboard - comes to fruition, or whether the B1G has to wait on "Plan B" - hemming in the SEC on the western prairies via Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

My personal opinion is that Plan B will be the next play - and UConn needs to be there for Plan B to work itself out. If Texas ever joined the B1G, I would sure like to see UConn there.
I don't see how any of that makes you a "faux" supporter.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
True, but any hypothetical ACC network would be bundled with all ESPN channels which losing would piss a lot people off

I doubt that they would sacrifice ESPN and ESPN2 to force The ACCN. ESPNU? Probably, but how many people would clamor over ESPNU? I think taking away The SECN in Big10 country wouldn't work either.

Reaction Score

My fear is that UConn joins the ACC, and is therefore unavailable when the B1G expands to 16, 18, or 20.

I foresee the next round of B1G expansion to include one, or all three, from Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

There needs to be UConn available to close out the north end of the NE Corridor, plus the 3 B12 schools are an odd number and there needs to be an even number.

So ... I am decidedly for UConn in the B1G, but am rooting against UConn in the ACC.

Now that MY-ACC is settled, we'll soon see if the B1G's long-rumored "Plan A" - expansion with ACC schools along the eastern seaboard - comes to fruition, or whether the B1G has to wait on "Plan B" - hemming in the SEC on the western prairies via Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

My personal opinion is that Plan B will be the next play - and UConn needs to be there for Plan B to work itself out. If Texas ever joined the B1G, I would sure like to see UConn there.

Keep in mind something when referring to Texas. The second most important sport at Texas is baseball behind football. Texas has been to the college world series more than any school I believe with 35 appearances. They would have to take their baseball program independent should they join the B1G. Any Texas AD or President that would try to take that baseball program into the B1G would be hanging from the Tower at UT-Austin by his testicles within 24 hours of doing so or some other body part if female. There would be mutiny on the bounty like you wouldn't believe. Miami had its baseball team independent when they were in the Big East. They will tell you that being in a good baseball league is more fun.

With the SEC, PAC12, and ACC all being good baseball conferences and just as good or better than the B1G in football, Texas would have to be rejected by three other conferences before settling on the B1G. The Longhorn Network is the biggest issue affecting where Texas would move in any regard. Oklahoma and Kansas are viable options for the B1G though, and I'm sure that the B1G has probably vetted them both.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Keep in mind something when referring to Texas. The second most important sport at Texas is baseball behind football. Texas has been to the college world series more than any school I believe with 35 appearances. They would have to take their baseball program independent should they join the B1G. Any Texas AD or President that would try to take that baseball program into the B1G would be hanging from the Tower at UT-Austin by his testicles within 24 hours of doing so or some other body part if female. There would be mutiny on the bounty like you wouldn't believe. Miami had its baseball team independent when they were in the Big East. They will tell you that being in a good baseball league is more fun.

With the SEC, PAC12, and ACC all being good baseball conferences and just as good or better than the B1G in football, Texas would have to be rejected by three other conferences before settling on the B1G. The Longhorn Network is the biggest issue affecting where Texas would move in any regard. Oklahoma and Kansas are viable options for the B1G though, and I'm sure that the B1G has probably vetted them both.

The baseball thing will not stop any school to move. Either Texas would be an independent or they will be a partial member. I also don't think that The LHN would stop The Big10 from admitting Texas. The main media money is where the ratings and, therefore the money is.

Completely agree with you on OU and KU, though.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sure.

I can only imagine the outrage of the 12 Pitt fans in Philly over not being able to see that Notre Dame - Pitt game every sixth year.

Or the 12 Pitt fans in Pitt. Maybe 13.

Reaction Score
The baseball thing will not stop any school to move. Either Texas would be an independent or they will be a partial member. I also don't think that The LHN would stop The Big10 from admitting Texas. The main media money is where the ratings and, therefore the money is.

Completely agree with you on OU and KU, though.

They could take baseball independent and join the B1G, but if the money is the same and three other leagues (SEC, PAC12, and ACC) have good football and baseball which they do, they'll be considered first is my belief. It's possible all three will turn down Texas and it would go B1G, but I doubt all three would say no if Texas were shopping.

Reaction Score
Since when has BB moved CR? Temple FB about equal? So when RU puts more fans in a Temples homegame than Temple because there that popular the B1G should consider them? How many FB recruits does Temple/Philly bring? TVs? I love and pull for Temple but can't imagine there even good enough to be vetted for the P5 and yet their fans think there ACC bound. Stimp you're nutz. I agree they(Temple) fit the ACC profile of mainly small regional privates(with only a NC/Va footprint) as RU as you know preferred the AAC to the ACC!

Nicky I don't want to talk about Rutgers anymore. I really don't. I get drawn into responding to your posts way too often and the UConn hosts get tired of it. I do see some value in Temple. Let's leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Nicky I don't want to talk about Rutgers anymore. I really don't. I get drawn into responding to your posts way too often and the UConn hosts get tired of it. I do see some value in Temple. Let's leave it at that.
I'd appreciate it.

dayooper

Reaction Score
They could take baseball independent and join the B1G, but if the money is the same and three other leagues (SEC, PAC12, and ACC) have good football and baseball which they do, they'll be considered first is my belief. It's possible all three will turn down Texas and it would go B1G, but I doubt all three would say no if Texas were shopping.

The money is not the same between all four. The ACC is lagging behind. I know there are rumors of an ACCN, but to think that will make as much as The BTN or The SECN is long shot. As for the PAC, it's always an option, but the presidents already turned them down once, will they want to again. The SEC just doesn't seem like a fit. Maybe with an new administration they might be, but recent opinion has been the opposite.

Reaction Score

Whoever rings the phone first will get the date!

Reaction Score
I'm late to this discussion, but wanted to weigh in on my thoughts. My first reaction was disappointment, since Maryland should not have paid anything over $20 million, as that was all the ACC was legally and ethically entitled to. But this case was dragging on, and there was a clear concern of having a biased NC court decide this case. Sure, they could have appealed, but it would have meant more attorney fees. So having to pay $10 million more than they should versus $30 million was not a bad outcome. I guess the ACC did okay too, since they were able to extort $10 million more than they were entitled to.

As for future realignment, I don't think this means much. Maryland was the only one that fought the $50 million exit fee soon after it was "enacted." Since no other school challenged it, they can only try to show the fee is punitive. If the ACC is the gulag that Stimpy represents it to be, no team will probably be brave enough to challenge the grossly excessive exit fee, even if a better opportunity came along, in the near future. As such, it will be about 10 years for a team to leave the ACC, again should an opportunity present itself.

Reaction Score
The Exit fee became redundant and much less meaningful to CR the day the GOR was signed....

Reaction Score

I am exactly the opposite. I would not mind seeing UConn join the ACC instead of the Big Ten.

But, that is really because I would rather see the Big Ten expand into the Plains than further into the East Coast.

I am not sure how UConn makes the ACC enough money as the 15th full member to achieve this under the ACC economic model.

It seems that UConn fits the Big Ten model better unless/until the ACC starts its own network.

Reaction Score
If the ACC is the gulag that Stimpy represents it to be, no team will probably be brave enough to challenge the grossly excessive exit fee, even if a better opportunity came along, in the near future. As such, it will be about 10 years for a team to leave the ACC, again should an opportunity present itself.

They now have 10 years to "go to their room and think about what they've done". :)

I do imagine that ND, however, has a deal that prohibits such binding resolutions being enacted without their consent.

Reaction Score
I'm late to this discussion, but wanted to weigh in on my thoughts. My first reaction was disappointment, since Maryland should not have paid anything over $20 million, as that was all the ACC was legally and ethically entitled to. But this case was dragging on, and there was a clear concern of having a biased NC court decide this case. Sure, they could have appealed, but it would have meant more attorney fees. So having to pay $10 million more than they should versus $30 million was not a bad outcome. I guess the ACC did okay too, since they were able to extort $10 million more than they were entitled to.

As for future realignment, I don't think this means much. Maryland was the only one that fought the $50 million exit fee soon after it was "enacted." Since no other school challenged it, they can only try to show the fee is punitive. If the ACC is the gulag that Stimpy represents it to be, no team will probably be brave enough to challenge the grossly excessive exit fee, even if a better opportunity came along, in the near future. As such, it will be about 10 years for a team to leave the ACC, again should an opportunity present itself.
As usual an intelligent reasonable reply as opposed to stimp's propaganda/cheerleading.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I am exactly the opposite. I would not mind seeing UConn join the ACC instead of the Big Ten.

But, that is really because I would rather see the Big Ten expand into the Plains than further into the East Coast.

I am not sure how UConn makes the ACC enough money as the 15th full member to achieve this under the ACC economic model.

It seems that UConn fits the Big Ten model better unless/until the ACC starts its own network.

Yup, I agree with UConn fits the Big10 economic model much better than the ACC's at the present time.

Reaction Score
Your predicate, i.e., we must accept the first invitation, follows only if that which it was predicated upon, i.e., nobody knows if the B1G has plans to add UConn, holds true. We here might not know but it would surprise me to discover that Storrs is as ignorant as we.
...and based on your supposition, should UConn take the first offer and it is the ACC making this first offer, then we are to assume there were never any talks with the BIG??? Lots of theory and extrapolation, but as a fan of UConn I would really care less and spend my energy enjoying being out of the best of the irrelevant conferences.

Reaction Score
...and based on your supposition, should UConn take the first offer and it is the ACC making this first offer, then we are to assume there were never any talks with the BIG??? Lots of theory and extrapolation, but as a fan of UConn I would really care less and spend my energy enjoying being out of the best of the irrelevant conferences.
If the B1G makes the first offer, take it.

If the ACC makes the first offer, depends on what else we know. Have we been in talks with the B1G? If no, take the offer. If we've been in talks with the B1G, depends on the nature of those discussions. If they've been vague, nebulous meanderings and what-ifs, take the ACC offer. If they've been substantive and definite, then maybe we reject the offer. Bottom line though is that even the B1G can't predict the future and even a date certain from them is risky.

Reaction Score
If the B1G makes the first offer, take it.

If the ACC makes the first offer, depends on what else we know. Have we been in talks with the B1G? If no, take the offer. If we've been in talks with the B1G, depends on the nature of those discussions. If they've been vague, nebulous meanderings and what-ifs, take the ACC offer. If they've been substantive and definite, then maybe we reject the offer. Bottom line though is that even the B1G can't predict the future and even a date certain from them is risky.

Yes, we should prefer the B1G - but we are need of an offer from a P-5 conference period. Staying in the AAC cannot be an option. If the ACC calls, unless we have a deal that is binding with the B1G, we have to take it though. IMO, there has to be zero "gray area" with the B1G in order to reject overtures from ACC.

Reaction Score
Yes, we should prefer the B1G - but we are need of an offer from a P-5 conference period. Staying in the AAC cannot be an option. If the ACC calls, unless we have a deal that is binding with the B1G, we have to take it though. IMO, there has to be zero "gray area" with the B1G in order to reject overtures from ACC.
We have learned that unless it is written in ink, it is not written. The first conference that calls and inks a deal will be the one.

Reaction Score
IMO Stimpy hit the nail on the head.

Like any good ((culturally fit)) B1G fan, the most important things to me RE expansion are;

Corn, ((((healthy)))) girls, peanut engineering, overalls, wrestling, honkeys, and Fred Hoiberg

BRING ON THE CYCLONES!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger