ACC Door Closed? | The Boneyard

ACC Door Closed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Seeing that the ACC and Notre Dame have just announced schedule match-ups through 2025 - Does this mean that the door to adding UCONN (or any other team) has just quietly closed?

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. First of all, many times there have been grand announcements of scheduling agreements only to be nullified afterwards, even when it doesn't involve conference realignment. In this case, ND is bound to schedule 5 games each year with ACC teams. That means that for every three year period, one team will be playing ND twice. If UConn (or other team) is added, ND can then play them in place of te team they were originally scheduled to play twice.

Reaction Score
The door is closed, yes. But that has nothing to do with Notre Dame's schedule.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
ACC is a second rate football conference. And its basketball hasn't improved with expansion.
Personally, I believe this concept of super conferences is probably illegal, against antitrust laws.
The key is winning.

Reaction Score
I've always thought the door closed the day they backed out of the Cuse-UConn package and took Pitt. I never bought in to the UConn was a shoe-in when the terps left.

Reaction Score
Don't know, don't care - IMO, the ACC has been decidedly a "plan B" for us anyways. Besides it is a distraction from what should be our clear thinking efforts re: the B1G.

Reaction Score
This is probably a stupid question but could we ever get invited to a P5 conference for basketball only?

I'd take that. Not saying UConn should stop playing football, but at a certain point ensuring the continued success of our basketball program is really the most important thing.

Reaction Score
This is probably a stupid question but could we ever get invited to a P5 conference for basketball only?

I'd take that. Not saying UConn should stop playing football, but at a certain point ensuring the continued success of our basketball program is really the most important thing.

Football is really the reason the P5 has come about. You have to be in the football business to be in the P5 business.

Reaction Score
I don't think it means anything. Take what is done and said with a grain of salt.

Remember when the ACC announced future football scheduling going to 9 conference games in 2012? Well, that didn't happen.

http://www.theacc.com/#!/news-detail/genrel-020312aaa.html

And remember these words of Jack Swarbrick, ND's AD from the NY Post:

“Notre Dame continues to have a very strong interest in the success and vitality of the Big East Conference,” Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick told The Post. “That’s one of the reasons we continue to work to schedule games against Big East schools such as Syracuse, Pittsburgh, South Florida and recently Connecticut.

“We’re interested in keeping the Big East vibrant and remain open to discussing ways to make that happen,” Swarbrick added.

Reaction Score

outside the box. I like it.

Reaction Score
Agree the door is shut, but if our neighbors in Bristol offered to increase their contract by day 1 mil per year, they would name Blumenthal as Swoffords successor

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who cares? I fully plan on UConn kicking down the door, tearing it right off the frame. Then punching BC in the face as we enter the room, followed by a swift kick in the nuts to Syracuse.

Then this is our message to the others.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree the door is shut, but if our neighbors in Bristol offered to increase their contract by day 1 mil per year, they would name Blumenthal as Swoffords successor
It took me a second to get this but I laughed once I did.
Who cares? I fully plan on UConn kicking down the door, tearing it right off the frame. Then punching BC in the face as we enter the room, followed by a swift kick in the nuts to Syracuse.

Then this is our message to the others.
Pretty much any reference to Army of Darkness rates a like in my book. It's a guilty pleasure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It took me a second to get this but I laughed once I did.
Pretty much any reference to Army of Darkness rates a like in my book. It's a guilty pleasure.

Ash would be my choice to replace Warde if he left for Michigan. I can see him walking into meetings with the chainsaw hand running and a boomstick in the other hand. We'd be in a P5 conference in no time.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It didn't close the door, it just pointed towards the door that had been closed since Louisville was admitted.

Reaction Score
Seeing that the ACC and Notre Dame have just announced schedule match-ups through 2025 - Does this mean that the door to adding UCONN (or any other team) has just quietly closed?

In other 2012 news...
  • I'm hearing Shaka Smart could be the one to lead UConn bball back to prominence
  • UConn football is still a "work in progress" under coach P, but will likely turn the corner in 2013

Reaction Score
Quietly closed??? Seriously... that 200 lb oak door was slammed in our face a long time ago... I say good riddance any way Big10 or bust!

Reaction Score
The only two ways I see us getting invited to the ACC is if: a) one or more members leave, or b) ND wants to join in full and requires a partner. In either of those cases this new schedule would be rendered irrelevant anyway.

I (almost) care because my day dream scenario is for UConn to get an invite to the ACC and say "Yeah...thanks but no thanks. We're on to BIGger and much better things". That, and that alone, would make every sack kick over the last few years of CR ridiculousness seem worth it.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC would be very foolish to leave us for the Big Ten; further inroads into the Atlantic Coast would not be good for them, and the B1G would immediately be the dominant conference in New England and New York (Rutgers+UConn > Syracuse, UConn > BC). Their only good reason not to add us is because ESPN won't pony up $20 mn per year for it. If that's the case, shame on Connecticut's governor and legislator for not pressuring ESPN to support their home state. The politicians should be working on revoking ESPN's tax credits unless ESPN finds us a home.

Reaction Score
The ACC would be very foolish to leave us for the Big Ten; further inroads into the Atlantic Coast would not be good for them, and the B1G would immediately be the dominant conference in New England and New York (Rutgers+UConn > Syracuse, UConn > BC). Their only good reason not to add us is because ESPN won't pony up $20 mn per year for it. If that's the case, shame on Connecticut's governor and legislator for not pressuring ESPN to support their home state. The politicians should be working on revoking ESPN's tax credits unless ESPN finds us a home.
It is a shame that there are no politicians in this state who can bring pressure to bear on ESPN. Instead they capitulate and hand out tax credits.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We're going to be the chick that the other guy regrets not asking out. It's either going to be the B1G or the ACC, but one will regret it when they find out how often we put out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The biggest problem we have is that both of those sides win as long as neither side moves.

I know we view the Big Ten as the cowboys in the white hats, but they're doing just as much harm to us as the ACC and it's not unintentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom