AAC Winning the Fiesta, Cotton, or Peach Bowl | The Boneyard

AAC Winning the Fiesta, Cotton, or Peach Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The G5 is guaranteed a spot in one of these bowls (highest rated champion) if that champion is not in the final four.

It would go a long way to influencing public perception to have the G5 representative wax the Champion of a P5 league who did not make the final four (thus playing in the Fiesta, Cotton, or Peach).

Beating a Big Ten Champ, ACC champ, Big 12, etc would be a great media opportunity. Even if the opposing team in one of these bowls is not a P5 Champion, they will be a top P5 team.

I see all of the credibility that UCF earned with their bowl win over the Big 12 Champ and I can not imagine how much two consecutive Access bowl wins by an AAC team would start the talking heads buzzing.

Reaction Score
The G5 is guaranteed a spot in one of these bowls (highest rated champion) if that champion is not in the final four.

It would go a long way to influencing public perception to have the G5 representative wax the Champion of a P5 league who did not make the final four (thus playing in the Fiesta, Cotton, or Peach).

Beating a Big Ten Champ, ACC champ, Big 12, etc would be a great media opportunity. Even if the opposing team in one of these bowls is not a P5 Champion, they will be a top P5 team.

I see all of the credibility that UCF earned with their bowl win over the Big 12 Champ and I can not imagine how much two consecutive Access bowl wins by an AAC team would start the talking heads buzzing.
Best you get in any of those bowls in #2 from a conference. Might even be #3 based on how bowls pick. G5 schools have an uphill battle unless they can get some decent in-season OOC games, all of which will be road games. The AAC needs a team to run the table including a bowl game win to get attention. And it needs to be a Boise like streak in multiple seasons to really garner the attention.

Reaction Score
There are four playoff spots and five P5 Champs...Some P5 champ will go to one of these bowls every year. The question really is..."Will the selection Committee pair up that P5 Champ with the highest rated G5 Champ?"

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
More of a general question on this subject but do people think it would be better if UCF won an Access bowl this year again or if a different team, say ECU won it?

Reaction Score
Just my opinion...but the SEC got their rep by having four different programs win NC's....It wasn't Alabama and the "rest".

If FSU win's their 4th NC...it would just be FSU...and the "rest".

Spreading the Access Bowl wins around the league can't be bad.

Reaction Score
There are four playoff spots and five P5 Champs...Some P5 champ will go to one of these bowls every year. The question really is..."Will the selection Committee pair up that P5 Champ with the highest rated G5 Champ?"

Actually they won't.

The B1G & PAC12 champs if not a part of the playoff go to the Rose Bowl. SEC & Big 12 champs if not part of the playoff go to the Sugar & the ACC champs go to the Orange. The other spot in the Orange is committed to the SEC/B1G/Notre Dame.

Taking away 4 playoff teams & then filling these bowl commitments means that more times than not the P5 team playing in these games will be a 3rd place finisher.

Reaction Score
Actually they won't.

The B1G & PAC12 champs if not a part of the playoff go to the Rose Bowl. SEC & Big 12 champs if not part of the playoff go to the Sugar & the ACC champs go to the Orange. The other spot in the Orange is committed to the SEC/B1G/Notre Dame.

Taking away 4 playoff teams & then filling these bowl commitments means that more times than not the P5 team playing in these games will be a 3rd place finisher.

That's only in those years that the bowls themselves aren't hosting a playoff bowl, so it's most likely that the AAC will be matched up with a #2 team. A conference champ isn't impossible, but not very likely.

Either way, even a #2 or #3 draw should mean a quality win if the AAC champ can take them down.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
BCS wins do nothing for a league. The individual school, but not the league.

How else do you explain the Big East/Acc won loss record the past decade and the corresponding "respect" we got.

If our league was dumped on with West Virginia, Louisville, etc in it how anyone thinks the new league will earn respect is beyond me.

College football perception and respect is a caste system and not performed at all.

Reaction Score
Just my opinion...but the SEC got their rep by having four different programs win NC's....It wasn't Alabama and the "rest".

If FSU win's their 4th NC...it would just be FSU...and the "rest".

Spreading the Access Bowl wins around the league can't be bad.

Billy, the SEC didn't just get their rep by having 4 teams win a BCS Championship compared to FSU winning 3 titles. The SEC got their rep by having 5 Teams win 9 BCS Championships in 15 years (including 7 years in a row). The SEC also placed the runner up in a few of those years, and placed many teams in the remaining BCS games. It is not logical to compare the SEC performance during the BCS era to the AAC during the upcoming Access Bowl era. If the AAC wants to make a statement to the P5, it needs to place a team in the playoffs (the Access Bowls are money makers only, similar to the Non NC BCS games). And it is not unreasonable to picture an AAC team in the playoffs. Just last year, Louisville and UCF were each only 1 loss from likely being in the NC game (especially Louisville with the high preseason ranking).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

How else do you explain the Big East/Acc won loss record the past decade and the corresponding "respect" we got.

If our league was dumped on with West Virginia, Louisville, etc in it how anyone thinks the new league will earn respect is beyond me.

College football perception and respect is a caste system and not performed at all.

Yup. The programs that won a BCS game for the Big East were valued higher (and ultimately tabbed by a P5 conference). But the Big East conference itself was still disrespected by most "experts", even when the conference had a MUCH better bowl record than the ACC.

If UCF were to win another bowl game like last year, it will be a good thing for UCF only. People will minimize UCF's chances heading into the game of course because they were able to pad up stats against a weak conference. It'll be the same song and dance we've heard about the Big East but worse because the bottom half of the AAC is much worse than the bottom half of the Big East (except Syracuse) ever was.

Reaction Score
That's only in those years that the bowls themselves aren't hosting a playoff bowl, so it's most likely that the AAC will be matched up with a #2 team. A conference champ isn't impossible, but not very likely.

Either way, even a #2 or #3 draw should mean a quality win if the AAC champ can take them down.
The years that their designated bowl hosts one of the two playoff games, the conference champion is guaranteed a spot in one of the other major bowls is not in a playoff game. And the Cotton Bowl and Fiesta Bowls are out of the mix the year's they host the playoff game. Also the last spot is not guaranteed to be from the AAC. It would be from any of the G5. A G5 versus a P5 champion will only happen of the P5 champion is ranked outside of the top 8/10 and are not in the Pac12 or the ACC (guaranteed Rose Bowl/Orange Bowl/New Year's Day slots). Not sure how much attention that garners.

Based on last year, the likely opponent would have beenBig 12 #2 (Oklahoma) or SEC #4 (S. Car). Acc #2, Bi1G #2, and SEC #2 and #3 would have all taken the guaranteed spots based on the top 4 being in a playoff.

Reaction Score
You are also assuming the each conference gets one team. Sec could get two.

Reaction Score
If FSU win's their 4th NC...
How can they win their 4th when they haven't won their 1st? I understand they convinced several "experts" to vote for them 3
times but that's not the same as winning.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
billybud said:

Not likely, unless the G5 is ranked higher than the 5th champion. Ratings and hotel rooms will set the matchups. We reverted to the old bowl system with more collusion at the top.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure the OP is just trolling. Nobody is going to be buzzing about anything, if the G5 champ beats someone from the P5 in a bowl game they chalk it up to motivation and move on.

CHB is exactly right - wins do nothing for a G5 league. Nothing in the history of time that can happen will raise the AAC's profile. It's never going to be anything more than what it is.

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score
I'll say it'll help whatever team from AAC (or other G5) that makes the Access Bowl (which is also a ridiculous name for these bowl games, calling it the Access bowl) if the bowl game is close enough for a lot of fans to show up. UCF had difficulty some difficulty with getting people from Florida to Arizona but still showed up in numbers. Would be a lot easier if UCF got to play in the Peach Bowl, Houston in the Fiesta/Cotton, etc.

Reaction Score
I'll say it'll help whatever team from AAC (or other G5) that makes the Access Bowl (which is also a ridiculous name for these bowl games, calling it the Access bowl) if the bowl game is close enough for a lot of fans to show up. UCF had difficulty some difficulty with getting people from Florida to Arizona but still showed up in numbers. Would be a lot easier if UCF got to play in the Peach Bowl, Houston in the Fiesta/Cotton, etc.
UCF suffered the same fate as UConn with regard to the Fiesta Bowl. In both instances the Fiesta Bowl got last pick in those years in the picking rotation. In UConn's case, the Orange Bowl picked ahead of the Fiesta & didn't choose UConn. I'd venture that instead of the @ 15,000 UConn fans who attended the game in Phoenix, had the Orange Bowl chosen UConn, there would have been closer to 25,000 Husky fans in attendance at a minimum.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

And where is UCF going? ACC nope. SEC nope. Big Ten nope.

If the Big 12 ends up with UCF it's going to be because they need 12 teams to have a championship game and Fox pays them to add a team in Florida. It won't be because they won a Peach Bowl.

Is winning a Peach Bowl good because winning a Peach Bowl is a nice accomplishment? Yes. Is it going to save your program from the AAC? No.

It's one team from 5 conferences that gets a shot anyway. I wouldn't be too confident that the ACC even gets that bid half the time.

As for UCF in 2014 they are a dog against Penn State to open and then come back from Ireland to head to Missouri. They have BYU at home and have to travel to Houston within their first five games.

They are more likely to open 1-4 than 5-0. Coming out of that 3-2 would be a great result and they would already be light years behind in the race for the access bowl.

Drew

Reaction Score
And where is UCF going? ACC nope. SEC nope. Big Ten nope.

If the Big 12 ends up with UCF it's going to be because they need 12 teams to have a championship game and Fox pays them to add a team in Florida. It won't be because they won a Peach Bowl.

Is winning a Peach Bowl good because winning a Peach Bowl is a nice accomplishment? Yes. Is it going to save your program from the AAC? No.

It's one team from 5 conferences that gets a shot anyway. I wouldn't be too confident that the ACC even gets that bid half the time.

As for UCF in 2014 they are a dog against Penn State to open and then come back from Ireland to head to Missouri. They have BYU at home and have to travel to Houston within their first five games.

They are more likely to open 1-4 than 5-0. Coming out of that 3-2 would be a great result and they would already be light years behind in the race for the access bowl.

I was making a brief observation about geography and fan travel but okay

Reaction Score
I do think that Marshall will represent the G5 in the Peach Bowl.

Probably play an SEC team....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99