AAC Media Days | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Luginbill says on ESPNU after a clip from the Aresco speech this morning that the American isn't a Power Conference because that's "just the way it is". Direct quote.

Reaction Score
My guess is they want to have the availability of a more mobile and longer quarterback. Tim Boyle, although primarily
a pro style quarterback, has shown more run ability than Cochran or Whitmer. Diaco wants to keep the opponents off guard. So my guess is the two qb's will be Cochran and Boyle. That's why they picked up Bryant Sherriff's from NC State! He has wheels!
From the Boneyard Blog this a.m. Diaco on the quarterbacks: "Chandler is just so talented" "If you turn the ball over, you will not play" Guess that we won't see much of Whitmer. (GOOD!)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
From the Boneyard Blog this a.m. Diaco on the quarterbacks: "Chandler is just so talented" "If you turn the ball over, you will not play" Guess that we won't see much of Whitmer. (GOOD!)

Actually, that sounds to me more like a statement that Chandler could be the starter against BYU with a short leash. And I'm fine with that, if that's the case. And if not, I'm fine with Casey too...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Luginbill says on ESPNU after a clip from the Aresco speech this morning that the American isn't a Power Conference because that's "just the way it is". Direct quote.

And that's the definition for everyone. Much like one knows obscenity when one sees it.

Reaction Score
And that's the definition for everyone. Much like one knows obscenity when one sees it.
Its good to see the formula explained so well for what it takes to be a "power conference". I agree with one thing you said, this will never be a brand league and no amount of on the field winning will ever change that. But for an idiot like luginbil to say that is a kick on the nut sack. He works for ESPN. This conference is an ESPN property. With friends like that.

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner @desmondconner
#UConnFootball will have a starting QB but he won't be the only one who plays in a game. Two are going to play...

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
Only way I think this is a good idea is if he expects us to be so far ahead that he brings in a 2nd quarterback for mopup duty in the 4th quarter of most games. Other than that, I view it as a very bad idea. It was fashionable a few years ago, but you rarely see it now.

Reaction Score
If the two qbs had vastly different skill sets I could see it. Our qbs are kind of all mirror images as far as skills. None are really a threat with their feet. Guess we'll see what this means.

Reaction Score
Well its nice to know there is a reason. This is really why I had hoped we wouldn't end up back with ESPN. We have zero hope of being given legitimate consideration on ESPN. Much like the old Big East, on field performance is pretty much irrelevant unless it fits the narrative that the Conference is weak. At least with NBCSports, a win over say, Big 12 Champ Baylor in a BCS bowl game would be played up. A win over SEC Champ Georgia in a BCS bowl would be a great victory, not explained away because Georgia wasn't into the game. A physical and emotional beatdown of Clemson would be what it is, a total mismatch.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only way I think this is a good idea is if he expects us to be so far ahead that he brings in a 2nd quarterback for mopup duty in the 4th quarter of most games. Other than that, I view it as a very bad idea. It was fashionable a few years ago, but you rarely see it now.
It was fashionable a few years because a sucky team (Miami) caught the crème de the AFC East off guard. What happened on Nov 23, 2008 in Miami? Matt Cassel went off for over 400 yards and Ronnie Brown couldn't get out of his own way (37 yards rushing). The Wildcat was a gimmick then, it was a gimmick in 2011, and is a gimmick now. Poor Scott McCumming might be the nicest kid in the world, but he was misused by coaches stuck in 1998, let alone 2008 (I'll give you three guesses who the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins was in 2008. First two don't count.).

Drew

Reaction Score
It was fashionable a few years because a sucky team (Miami) caught the crème de the AFC East off guard. What happened on Nov 23, 2008 in Miami? Matt Cassel went off for over 400 yards and Ronnie Brown couldn't get out of his own way (37 yards rushing). The Wildcat was a gimmick then, it was a gimmick in 2011, and is a gimmick now. Poor Scott McCumming might be the nicest kid in the world, but he was misused by coaches stuck in 1998, let alone 2008 (I'll give you three guesses who the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins was in 2008. First two don't count.).

Be easy on McCummings, that's my eskimo bro you're talking about

Husky25

Reaction Score
I didn't mean to say anything bad. He was misused by the Former "Coach," who had no idea how to run the "Wildcat" (Incidentally, UConn never ran the Wildcat. They substituted in a back-up QB for designed QB runs. By definition, that is not the Wildcat, which typically calls for a non-QB player to take a direct snap.). But that doesn't subtract from the fact that he was the second quarterback in most games. They began the ruination of his football career in the process.

Husky25

Reaction Score
By the way, do you know where (as applicable) McCummings ended up? Assuming he didn't get kicked off the team for some nefarious circumstance (which I don't believe he did), it'd be nice to see him land on his feet.

Reaction Score
It was also popular in college football back in the late 1990s-2000s. Michigan used to use 1 guy in quarters 1 & 3 and a different guy in quarter 2. Whoever played the best got #4. Tom O'Brien used a variation where he played his backup in the 2nd quarter. the #1 played 1, 3 & 4. Shula, the kid, not Don, did something similar at Alabama. It was the in thing at one time and supposedly was done to give the starter a chance "to see the game" and to get opponents off balance. Some also said it was used to keep quarterbacks from transferring, especially if you had an upper classman and a freshman or sophomore.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It was also popular in college football back in the late 1990s-2000s. Michigan used to use 1 guy in quarters 1 & 3 and a different guy in quarter 2. Whoever played the best got #4. Tom O'Brien used a variation where he played his backup in the 2nd quarter. the #1 played 1, 3 & 4. Shula, the kid, not Don, did something similar at Alabama. It was the in thing at one time and supposedly was done to give the starter a chance "to see the game" and to get opponents off balance. Some also said it was used to keep quarterbacks from transferring, especially if you had an upper classman and a freshman or sophomore.
I already posted on that type of circumstance earlier. You writing, "a few years ago," indicates to me the Wildcat. The late 90's seems to be a little further in history than only a few years ago. Sorry if I misunderstood you...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well its nice to know there is a reason. This is really why I had hoped we wouldn't end up back with ESPN. We have zero hope of being given legitimate consideration on ESPN. Much like the old Big East, on field performance is pretty much irrelevant unless it fits the narrative that the Conference is weak. At least with NBCSports, a win over say, Big 12 Champ Baylor in a BCS bowl game would be played up. A win over SEC Champ Georgia in a BCS bowl would be a great victory, not explained away because Georgia wasn't into the game. A physical and emotional beatdown of Clemson would be what it is, a total mismatch.

Yeah but if they nice things and no one hears it does it matter?

NBC saw so much value in the AAC that they may as well have bid nothing. The AAC would have been better off.

Reaction Score
Based on the gist of Diaco's comments, it sounds like he is tempering expectations. Specifically he said that there weren't a lot of guys on the Offensive Line that would be competitive for 12 games.

Drew

Reaction Score
By the way, do you know where (as applicable) McCummings ended up? Assuming he didn't get kicked off the team for some nefarious circumstance (which I don't believe he did), it'd be nice to see him land on his feet.

I know you were joking, my comment was in jest too. I don't know him personally I just happen to hang out with a female that he used to date if that helps clarify what an eskimo brother means.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sloppy seconds. Got it...;) (I kid, I kid!!!)

Reaction Score
Yeah but if they nice things and no one hears it does it matter?

NBC saw so much value in the AAC that they may as well have bid nothing. The AAC would have been better off.
We were kind of damned if you do damned if you don't, I guess. If an AAC game could have been tied in with Notre Dame, maybe before or after, things like that, I'm not so sure it would have been a bad thing. I know being on ESPN is going to be a bad thing because it will be the Big East redux, only more so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We were kind of damned if you do damned if you don't, I guess. If an AAC game could have been tied in with Notre Dame, maybe before or after, things like that, I'm not so sure it would have been a bad thing. I know being on ESPN is going to be a bad thing because it will be the Big East redux, only more so.

And if they replaced sunday night NFL that would have been tremendous.

They offered the whole league less than what they pay ND. That people convinced themselves on messageboards of tie ins and national Saturday broadcasts on NBC doesn't mean anyone at NBC ever contimplated it.

Reaction Score
If the two qbs had vastly different skill sets I could see it. Our qbs are kind of all mirror images as far as skills. None are really a threat with their feet. Guess we'll see what this means.

At Diaco dinner tonight he indicated that Cochran lost like 24 lbs and a big % of body fat. Also improved his strength considerably. If I had to bet right now, I would say he's da man!

Reaction Score
And if they replaced sunday night NFL that would have been tremendous.

They offered the whole league less than what they pay ND. That people convinced themselves on messageboards of tie ins and national Saturday broadcasts on NBC doesn't mean anyone at NBC ever contimplated it.
All that is true, but we get the same pittance from ESPN, plus get lousy coverage and get badmouthed by their personalities too. I get why we signed with them and what the benefits are. As I said, damned if you do damned if you don't. It is very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom