AAC Final outrates Big East Final. By 333%. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC Final outrates Big East Final. By 333%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fox bought the Big East Name, that's it. They believed that the historical perception of the conference would be enough to draw casual viewers regardless of what schools made up its membership. Clearly they miscalculated.

No one outside of the general area that these schools are located in gives a schit about them. I have not watched more than 5 minutes of any game in The new Big East, and by looking at the ratings I imagine that I'm not alone. The success of the Big East was in the juxtaposition of big schools versus small schools, historical powers versus up and comers. Now when the average viewer tunes in they see Seton Hall playing Marquette. Good luck with that, when odds are there is an ACC, B1G, or SEC game on at the same time. It's a losing proposition, and UCONN going there is tantamount to capitulation for your AD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing I am curious about is what happens if Nova is the only NBE school to make it out of the first weekend of the tournament (not an unrealistic possibility) and they get knocked off in the sweet 16? That conference flamed out in the tourney last year and could very well do so again. At some point they will need to build some credibility against other conferences in March.

Reaction Score
One thing I am curious about is what happens if Nova is the only NBE school to make it out of the first weekend of the tournament (not an unrealistic possibility) and they get knocked off in the sweet 16? That conference flamed out in the tourney last year and could very well do so again. At some point they will need to build some credibility against other conferences in March.
For casual fans it should inform or bracket selections.

Otherwise, I don't think the committee should be considering past performances when drafting a field. Every team is different, and each year is different.

Reaction Score
Oh Fox Sports is failing. And failing spectacularly.

Maybe Katie Nolan will save them. L O L.

People said exactly the same thing when Fox announced it was going to start a new network to compete against the big three. How did that work out. People said they were crazy when they said they were going to start a news division to compete against CNN. How did that work out? Fox will spend what ever money and the amount of time they need to make their sports side successful. It won't be done over night, but they will find a way to get it done.

Reaction Score
People said exactly the same thing when Fox announced it was going to start a new network to compete against the big three. How did that work out. People said they were crazy when they said they were going to start a news division to compete against CNN. How did that work out? Fox will spend what ever money and the amount of time they need to make their sports side successful. It won't be done over night, but they will find a way to get it done.

Fox will spend the money, it’ll take time but history shows they will get this right. Real competition for content will only be good for UCONN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For casual fans it should inform or bracket selections.

Otherwise, I don't think the committee should be considering past performances when drafting a field. Every team is different, and each year is different.
I'm talking mostly in terms of their ability to try to tell the general public an the media that they have not become a mid-major.

In the early days of the original BE, the conference was able to combat criticism because the bulk of the schools that did make the tournament over performed (in terms of public perception at time of selection). People outside of the BE were griping about four schools making the 1982 tournament yet three made it to the elite eight.

The current incarnation of the BE has gotten (outside of viewing audience) more respect from both the media and the general public than it has earned. The goodwill that the conference name and the identity of the (two, Nova & Georgetown) marquee members has to have a shelf life. Somewhere down the road reality will catch up to perception so the BE will need to perform well in tournaments soon. If it can't Nelson will no longer have anything to debate on this front.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes games in their home cities are well attended. I believe I made the point that they don't draw OUTSIDE of their markets, not that the attendance in their home arenas is down. And yes, I believe people care about the SEC if their team is playing.

The last time a non-FBS school won the national title in BASKETBALL was 1985, unless you count UConn in 1999 while we were transitioning. Why? Because most of the schools that have won the basketball national title in that time, with the exception of Duke, are large, public universities with expansive fan bases, national brands, and appeal, and the exception to that rule has one of the largest fan bases in the country and is a polarizing brand, so people watch them. This all means more money, more exposure and more access to better recruits. By and large, more people watch those teams on TV because they have more alumni and their fanbases are therefore far larger. NBE has no such team like that. They are a collection of small private schools, with less alumni.

Theres a reason when I was in NYC I found a Michigan bar but was unable to find the Creighton one. People care about big schools. They watch them. People outside of their own cities couldn't give a crap less if Marquette is on tv.

Talk about not getting it...

You just used Michigan as a justification for why the Big East would be bad for UConn. That is exactly what you did.

pj

Reaction Score
You just used Michigan as a justification for why the Big East would be bad for UConn. That is exactly what you did.

Are you being dense? He said that the NBE is a collection of small private schools. UConn is a medium-sized public school aiming to be a large public school. Culturally UConn fits with the B1G far better than the NBE.

Reaction Score
Look at all the respect that 1.3 garnered the AAC with the selection committee.

BTW, the Big East has b-slapped any Pac 12 broadcasts on Fox Sports. Are you arguing that the Pac 12's demise is imminent too?

I don't think people here realize the power that ESPN and broadcast TV has. The bad ratings are more a problem of Fox Sports 1 and Fox itself than the Big East. The Competition in the league is good and I'm sure people would watch if it was on ESPN... but no one is gonna go look for FS1. Even putting in on FOX Broadcast TV wouldn't beat out ESPN/CBS/ABC which are known to broadcast tons of College Basketball every year. Fox is not known for College Basketball so we can't expect people to tune in to Fox.

I think the Big East is gonna be fine in the long run.

Reaction Score
Fox sports 1 isn't failing. They do very well with their UFC and Big 12 content. It is about the Big East and no one tuning in to watch.

UFC has its own market which knows that it is televised on Fox Sports 1. The College basketball market automatically tunes in to CBS/ESPN to watch CBB. That's not gonna change for a while until Fox Sports 1 becomes a legitimate competitor

The Pac-12 is also doing veryyyyyyy poorly on FS1 and that's a major football conference...

Reaction Score
UFC has its own market which knows that it is televised on Fox Sports 1. The College basketball market automatically tunes in to CBS/ESPN to watch CBB. That's not gonna change for a while until Fox Sports 1 becomes a legitimate competitor

The Pac-12 is also doing veryyyyyyy poorly on FS1 and that's a major football conference...
But fox sports 1 isn't failing per se. UFC has done well as well as Big 12 football. So again, why is BIG EAST football doing so bad if other sporting events draw good numbers on the station?

pj

Reaction Score
Supposedly Fox has concluded that west-of-the-Mississippi audiences have found FS1 on their channel lineup, but eastern viewers haven't, thus killing properties like the NBE that only easterners are interested in, and that aren't big enough draws on their own to bring people to an unfamiliar channel. They thus want to add stronger eastern draws like the B1G, and have gotten their partner the B1G to schedule the B1G-NBE challenge to help build up the NBE.

Pac12 ratings would be a good indicator of how true this analysis is.

Reaction Score
But fox sports 1 isn't failing per se. UFC has done well as well as Big 12 football. So again, why is BIG EAST football doing so bad if other sporting events draw good numbers on the station?
Big East football?

Again, I said that the UFC fan base Knows Fox Sports 1 is the main outlet for their sport so they watch FS1 in numbers. The main outlet for College basketball is ESPN/CBS so no one goes to FS1 to watch basketball games.

Fox Sports 1 is obviously the main outlet for UFC and Nascar

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It wasn't clear it was a typo?

Reaction Score
You called noeynox out for typing Big East football when he clearly meant Big East basketball.

Is there a need to call out the fact that I called out him for writing Big East football? Its not followed up with any insults. I continued my post as usual assuming that he obviously meant Big East basketball. Meanwhile, the only thing that you bother to focus on was the fact that I called him out. what a joke

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Is there a need to call out the fact that I called out him for writing Big East football? Its not followed up with any insults. I continued my post as usual assuming that he obviously meant Big East basketball. Meanwhile, the only thing that you bother to focus on was the fact that I called him out. what a joke

So you're mad that someone called out your unnecessary call out?

Reaction Score
No biggie. My point is UFC isn't the only programming doing well on fox sports. Big 12 football did well also at least I remember them being happy with ratings. Big East doesn't have games with anyone but fox so they need their fans to watch. Or not, they got their contract.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Not mad. Just shows how much of a joke you are... that you jump in a thread without reason

Says the guy that highlighted a typo.

And I've been in the thread the whole time. Try reading it.

Anyway, I have basketball to watch. Have a good night.

Reaction Score
Says the guy that highlighted a typo.

And I've been in the thread the whole time. Try reading it.

Anyway, I have basketball to watch. Have a good night.

Should have thought of that in the first place. Took you long enough to realize

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline