AAC Final outrates Big East Final. By 333%. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Final outrates Big East Final. By 333%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly the B1G and the big east have signed some sort of basketball challenge agreement, correct? I assume big east home games will be on FS1 and B1G home games on ESPN/2. I'm taking a bigger leap now, and assuming the B1G will use the ratings for these games as a measure of exposure to help them decide on how they proceed with their next contract.

Reaction Score
Yes, the B1G and BE will host an annual challenge, the Gavitt Tipoff Games, which will begin next season and continue until at least 2020.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...882667/big-east-big-ten-hold-challenge-series

Big East, Big Ten to hold challenge
Updated: May 4, 2014, 9:04 PM ET

At his heart, Dave Gavitt was an innovator, a tinkerer who was always looking for ways to make the game of college basketball better.

No doubt, then, the Hall of Famer and Big East Conference founder would approve of the series that will carry his name.

The Big Ten and the Big East on Monday will announce a new partnership, the Gavitt Tipoff Games, an annual series of eight games between the two conferences that will run through 2020.

What separates this pairing from the others like it, though, is the timing. The games, which will begin in 2015-16, will be played in the first full week of the regular season, giving a splash to the tipoff for a sport that long has struggled to forge a path out of the gate.

"I remember Dave Gavitt used to say to me, 'We sure know how to end a season with a bang, but we don't do what we should in the beginning," said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany. "The Big East is relaunching itself. We are, in a way, relaunching ourselves. This is a great way to do that."

Two games will be played on the first Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of the regular season, played at school home sites -- four at a Big East school, four at a Big Ten school.

Each Big East team will play a minimum of six times during the length of the eight-year deal, and each Big Ten program will participate at least four times.

Individual match-ups will be announced in the spring.

FOX Sports1 will televise the Big East home games; ESPN or the Big Ten Network will carry the home Big Ten contests.

The Big Ten-ACC Challenge will continue as always.

"The din of football makes it hard to start the season with the appropriate fanfare," Big East commissioner Val Ackerman said. "This is a chance to herald to the world that the basketball season has started. That's good for the game and good for our conferences."

The potential for some particular match-ups is especially intriguing. Georgetown, for example, has long refused to play Maryland in basketball, a slight that moved Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson to cease games involving the two teams in all sports recently.

Now, at least potentially, the two could play one another.

"These match-ups won't always be geographic; we're going to do them based on competitive parity," Ackerman said. "We'll look at who are expected to be the strongest teams in each league and pair them against each other and sort of tier it, so we get the best match-ups."

Along with serving the greater good of the game, the Gavitt Tipoff Games will benefit the individual conferences as well. Both leagues are stretching their boundaries into each other's territories, so to speak, with the Big Ten adding Maryland and Rutgers on the East, and the Big East adding in Xavier, Butler and Creighton.

Delany makes no bones about his desire -- and the league's need -- to have a presence in the New York market, especially now that the ACC already has laid claim to Barclays Center for future basketball tournaments.

"We're trying to live here. We're not visiting," Delany said of New York. "Our goal is to bind the two regions together. We want to be in the two regions and live in the two regions.

For the Big East, which is working to re-establish itself from the ashes of conference realignment, the series offers its member teams a chance to play high-profile teams in premiere games, as well as honor Gavitt, the league's founding father.

"Our coaches want to play hard schools; they understand the importance of strength of schedule," Ackerman said. "But they also like the idea of paying homage to Dave, so there is a real emotional tie for all of us."

A news conference to officially announce the series is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. ET Monday at Madison Square Garden.

Reaction Score
Fox sports 1 isn't failing. They do very well with their UFC and Big 12 content. It is about the Big East and no one tuning in to watch.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fox sports 1 isn't failing. They do very well with their UFC and Big 12 content. It is about the Big East and no one tuning in to watch.

Compare/contrast Big 12 content to Big East content, or did you pull that statement out of your butt?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh Fox Sports is failing. And failing spectacularly.

Maybe Katie Nolan will save them. L O L.

Reaction Score
My understanding was that Espn had the option to simply match the best offer made by another outlet. That was part of the contract. So when NBCSN low balled the AAC Espn just said they would pay the peanuts it took to retain the rights. It's like an MLB rookie who comes up, the team has a few years to pay him minimal money before they have to negotiate a contract. Why would Espn pay any more than they had to? NBCSN was never serious about it and it hurt the league big time. The AAC won't get mega dollars but they will do better than the current $$ when this deal is up.
Wait one minute . If the AAC deal with ESPN was a steal at peanuts money why did UConn have to give up all its tier three rights just to get back less money than they were making from those rights.
Are you telling me Aresco is an idiot or more likely The folks at UConn are idiots.

Reaction Score
Compare/contrast Big 12 content to Big East content, or did you pull that statement out of your butt?
Probably out of my ass since I can't find anything on the big 12. I know the UFC on fox sports does really well, so it isn't that people can't find the channel. Their CFB does well too. It boggles the mind no one is watching the big east. Simply put, everyday it looks more like fox effed up. Time will tell. They got ten more years on the contract.

Reaction Score
There are two factors working against the NBE here:
1) Games are being broadcast on a channel the casual sports fan either doesn't have with their standard cable package or doesn't care to seek out
2)The biggest draws for the conference (UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville) are no longer there. Sure, Nova and Georgetown still have their following, but they pale in comparison to the schools listed above.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are two factors working against the NBE here:
1) Games are being broadcast on a channel the casual sports fan either doesn't have with their standard cable package or doesn't care to seek out
2)The biggest draws for the conference (UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, West Virginia, Louisville) are no longer there. Sure, Nova and Georgetown still have their following, but they pale in comparison to the schools listed above.

Pitt and WVU have big followings? Did you watch the Pitt game last night?

The Big East was incredibly successful 35 years ago with a bunch of big city college schools with modest reputations playing on a start up sports network. The difference this time around is that the schools have much better brands and the network has better backing than a couple of guys in a shack built on top of a former dump in Bristol.

Reaction Score

The Big East was incredibly successful 35 years ago with a bunch of big city college schools with modest reputations playing on a start up sports network. The difference this time around is that the schools have much better brands and the network has better backing than a couple of guys in a shack built on top of a former dump in Bristol.

Yeah I saw the Pitt game, but its the NIT, and I would take attendance at those games with a grain of salt. Heck, the last time we were in the NIT (2010) and we played a home game at Gampel, and there couldn't have been more than 6,000 people at that game.

Pitt and WVU may not be national universities, but their brands are well recognized by the casual fan. (Pitt in basketball, WVU in football).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
What is it that people don't get about the NBE? It's a collection of religious-affiliated, small private schools. That means small alumni bases and therefore small interest outside of their immediate markets. Hence, not much ability to draw a national audience with large ratings. It isn't rocket science.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well, I guess you just explained why the games are drawing good numbers on FS1. As long as we don't look at the facts that are dead opposite, we can assume you must be correct.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What is it that people don't get about the NBE? It's a collection of religious-affiliated, small private schools. That means small alumni bases and therefore small interest outside of their immediate markets. Hence, not much ability to draw a national audience with large ratings. It isn't rocket science.

I find that people who begin sentences with "what is it that people don't get..." often don't get it.

Look at attendance numbers. Creighton and Marquette are top 20, and Butler, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown and Xavier are all Top 60. And these are all city arenas that are not padding attendance numbers with free or $5 student tickets. Do you think anyone in the south cares about SEC basketball other than in Lexington?

What is particularly surprising is how a UConn fan can not see the power that these big city schools have with TV. UConn's program doesn't have the banners hanging from the ceiling if it is still in the Yankee Conference. The fact that I have to point that out to you says a lot about your understanding of this issue.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I don't suspect you geniuses who are rooting for FoxSports to fail realize the implications of only having ESPN as a bidder for the AAC, which is amazing given what the league went through with the NBC Sports low ball bid. It is like UConn fans are rooting for UConn to fail.
I don't want FS to fail. I don't think pointing out that the BE's ratings on FS1 are poor means people are rooting for failure.

Maybe UConn could try to sell itself as a ratings fix to the league. But given all those schools are getting paid for the duration of a 10 year contract, I don't see why they'd split the pie just for a ratings bump (which would average out to be small over the course of a season).

Other than Georgetown and Nova, who has a better brand in that league than they did in the 70s? Nobody. St. John's is mostly irrelevant in NYC now that they don't play Cuse and UConn. When was the last time Providence or Seton Hall had any lasting cachet in the national media? Butler had some a few years ago but that has worn off. If one of those schools makes a final 4, it would really help the school and BE brand (obviously) but they're not going to be able to do that consistently enough to get through to the non-BE fan. IMHO.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Look at attendance numbers. Creighton and Marquette are top 20, and Butler, Providence, Villanova, Georgetown and Xavier are all Top 60. And these are all city arenas that are not padding attendance numbers with free or $5 student tickets. Do you think anyone in the south cares about SEC basketball other than in Lexington?

Yes games in their home cities are well attended. I believe I made the point that they don't draw OUTSIDE of their markets, not that the attendance in their home arenas is down. And yes, I believe people care about the SEC if their team is playing.

What is particularly surprising is how a UConn fan can not see the power that these big city schools have with TV. UConn's program doesn't have the banners hanging from the ceiling if it is still in the Yankee Conference. The fact that I have to point that out to you says a lot about your understanding of this issue.

The last time a non-FBS school won the national title in BASKETBALL was 1985, unless you count UConn in 1999 while we were transitioning. Why? Because most of the schools that have won the basketball national title in that time, with the exception of Duke, are large, public universities with expansive fan bases, national brands, and appeal, and the exception to that rule has one of the largest fan bases in the country and is a polarizing brand, so people watch them. This all means more money, more exposure and more access to better recruits. By and large, more people watch those teams on TV because they have more alumni and their fanbases are therefore far larger. NBE has no such team like that. They are a collection of small private schools, with less alumni.

Theres a reason when I was in NYC I found a Michigan bar but was unable to find the Creighton one. People care about big schools. They watch them. People outside of their own cities couldn't give a crap less if Marquette is on tv.

Talk about not getting it...

Reaction Score
The old Big East happened to be the perfect storm. The whole was in fact greater than the sum of its parts. MSG, regional, basketball, coaching characters...it all added up to the start of something great and unique, a great run. The programs all benefited. Trying to recreate a new Big East will not have the same results, I think that is very clear.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The old Big East happened to be the perfect storm. The whole was in fact greater than the sum of its parts. MSG, regional, basketball, coaching characters...it all added up to the start of something great and unique, a great run. The programs all benefited. Trying to recreate a new Big East will not have the same results, I think that is very clear.

What results will we get trying to recreate a CUSA without Louisville and with two northern outposts?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes games in their home cities are well attended. I believe I made the point that they don't draw OUTSIDE of their markets, not that the attendance in their home arenas is down. And yes, I believe people care about the SEC if their team is playing.

The last time a non-FBS school won the national title in BASKETBALL was 1985, unless you count UConn in 1999 while we were transitioning. Why? Because most of the schools that have won the basketball national title in that time, with the exception of Duke, are large, public universities with expansive fan bases, national brands, and appeal, and the exception to that rule has one of the largest fan bases in the country and is a polarizing brand, so people watch them. This all means more money, more exposure and more access to better recruits. By and large, more people watch those teams on TV because they have more alumni and their fanbases are therefore far larger. NBE has no such team like that. They are a collection of small private schools, with less alumni.

Theres a reason when I was in NYC I found a Michigan bar but was unable to find the Creighton one. People care about big schools. They watch them. People outside of their own cities couldn't give a crap less if Marquette is on tv.

Talk about not getting it...

Your argument is that Michigan has a big fan base, therefore we should be in a league with Tulsa and Tulane. Got it.

Reaction Score
What results will we get trying to recreate a CUSA without Louisville and with two northern outposts?
Don't ask me, this was not UCONN's choice. The C-7 left the Big East to form a lesser conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom