A Workout Memory | The Boneyard

A Workout Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Seeing the thread about the freshmen arriving in Storrs made me flash back to my first look at another freshman.

It's the summer of 2007. I walk into Gampel to watch a practice. It's the time of year when the coaches can work with small groups. I sit in the stands at the end of the court where three players are doing various drills.

Maya Moore is in red shorts. No particular workout clothes, just whatever she felt like grabbing.

She's working on a particular move from the top of the key, with someone playing the role of defender. The move involves a fake, a spin and a cut to the basket where she takes a pass on her way to the hoop.

Geno is working on it with her. Not an assistant, Geno. He's the one making the pass, and offering comments.

She can't get it right. She's talking to herself, not words, but sounds: "Ahhhh. Groan." (shakes head, goes back to where she started).

They do the play again. And again. And again.

Geno steps in and demonstrates. He's wearing sweat pants and sneakers. Looks athletic enough, but isn't doing it at speed -- more like half speed, just showing something about the upper body or the feet at certain points in the move.

They do it again. Over and over. Finally she gets it right, not once but several times in a row. They're satisfied, and the practice moves on, with him watching someone else.

I'm thinking, "This is the great Maya Moore. Most heralded recruit in a long time. And look how she knows her game isn't where she wants it to be; look how she wants to get better and is willing to work hard to do it."

And thinking: "That's some coach. The assistants are watching; he's the one on the floor right in the middle of the nitty-gritty basketball, helping a player get better. Almost makes me want to be out there learning."

Well, some fantasies are more extreme than others. Let's leave it at great player, great coach. They go together well.

Reaction Score
Great post. Don't think I ever saw a post or story of Geno doing such hands on coaching. I'm sure he does it often but just never read about it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I heard Maya make a comment about her schoolwork, something to the effect that she needs to put the time in to get the results she wants. On the court, she makes things look easy. Part of that is her physical ability, but part of it is practice and more practice. Unlike Allen Iverson, Maya knew how to get to Carnegie Hall. :) Even Maya's physical gifts were greatly enhanced by work in the weight room. It was so wonderful watching the best player who also was the hardest working. The year after Maya left, Geno asked the team at practice who was going to replace Maya's intensity. I don't think he got any takers initially.

Geno does the Xs and Os in the huddles. Some head coaches leave it to their assistants. He's the Team USA coach because he really, really knows the game.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Boy did I misinterpret the Thread Title. I figured that we were going to be regaled with your memories of your track days at OSU.

JS_Sprint.jpg

JS uses a standing start in lane 1 as he forgot his trowel

I was sure we'd get tales of how difficult things were and how tough you had to be as an amateur athlete. Nothing like the pampered kids today!

Heck, I bet they made you buy your own trowel!

I should have known better. No way you remember anything that far back......

JS

Reaction Score
Boy did I misinterpret the Thread Title. I figured that we were going to be regaled with your memories of your track days at OSU.
Wasn't me at Ohio State. It was my dad, team captain and member of a world record sprint medley relay team.

As far as the arrival of freshmen athletes on campus, Dad became an Ass't Dean of Men the year after graduation, charged with welcoming them and easing their transition.

In that capacity he personally lent five bucks to Jesse Owens, who arrived on campus penniless. The NCAA wasn't around to know.

Below, a publicity photo of Dad in 1931. For your information, Biff, that appears to be a starting block of sorts next to his right foot.

He isn't using it though. Even then, our family was known to think out of the blocks.

$_35.JPG

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It finally came to me: "JS" stands for "just sprints." I always knew you were quick.

Reaction Score
It is amazing the stuff I learn on the Boneyard. Thanks to all. ;)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

And just a few months later:

http://www.theday.com/article/20110404/SPORT01/304049885

"Thank you for showing there's still hope even in this NCAA cesspool. And haven't all the stories emanating from Auburn and Ohio State and Nate Miles been so inspiring lately? You go ahead and kill women's basketball all you want. But it had Maya Moore the last four years and that meant it was a better game than yours for reasons many of you wouldn't understand."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I thought it was going to be the day when Ashley Battle liberated your sandwich.

Reaction Score
Seeing the thread about the freshmen arriving in Storrs made me flash back to my first look at another freshman.

It's the summer of 2007. I walk into Gampel to watch a practice. It's the time of year when the coaches can work with small groups. I sit in the stands at the end of the court where three players are doing various drills.

Maya Moore is in red shorts. No particular workout clothes, just whatever she felt like grabbing.

She's working on a particular move from the top of the key, with someone playing the role of defender. The move involves a fake, a spin and a cut to the basket where she takes a pass on her way to the hoop.

Geno is working on it with her. Not an assistant, Geno. He's the one making the pass, and offering comments.

She can't get it right. She's talking to herself, not words, but sounds: "Ahhhh. Groan." (shakes head, goes back to where she started).

They do the play again. And again. And again.

Geno steps in and demonstrates. He's wearing sweat pants and sneakers. Looks athletic enough, but isn't doing it at speed -- more like half speed, just showing something about the upper body or the feet at certain points in the move.

They do it again. Over and over. Finally she gets it right, not once but several times in a row. They're satisfied, and the practice moves on, with him watching someone else.

I'm thinking, "This is the great Maya Moore. Most heralded recruit in a long time. And look how she knows her game isn't where she wants it to be; look how she wants to get better and is willing to work hard to do it."

And thinking: "That's some coach. The assistants are watching; he's the one on the floor right in the middle of the nitty-gritty basketball, helping a player get better. Almost makes me want to be out there learning."

Well, some fantasies are more extreme than others. Let's leave it at great player, great coach. They go together well.
I was studying Sports Medicine/Athletic Training at UConn at the time, and the brand new Women's basketball coach, some little Italian guy, was teaching the class on basketball techniques. He was just as you described him. Out there with us, demonstrating, and working to help US, just a bunch of schmuck students, get better.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do believe that I was present at the practice that JS references...and was also there at the time when
Ashley swiped JS's lunch money.

Over the years I have often seen the assistants working with a particular player with Geno on the sidelines
watching. Far more often than not, he sees something and goes on the court and adds his instruction.
Everything....and I mean everything...stops when he starts to talk. BTW: given the occasional mercurial aspects
of his in-game coaching [he does seem to have calmed down quite a bit...no?], his teaching moments in practice
always are low-key.

As a fall regular down there, I remain hopeful [but way pessimistic] that the new facility will be open to
just-plain-folks as was Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog