A Troubling Photo From Last Night's Game | The Boneyard

A Troubling Photo From Last Night's Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
For me, the really beautiful thing is that, with very, very few exceptions, the Husky who DOES get the ball, already knows what she is going to do with it, which is overwhelmingly likely to be either a put-back or an immediate pass to the teammate who is best positioned to do something effective with it. Seldom seen is any hesitation or indecision,

Reaction Score
The HAPPIEST photo from last night's game... I'VE GOT IT!!! Well, ummm sorry, I don't really. But If I could have taken a photo from yesterday's pregame warm ups of Natalie Butler actively participating (even with the left-hand wrapped) THAT would have been the best photograph. I hope that indicates she is healing ahead of schedule.

[Can somebody please remind Dannyuconn, the of UConn WCBB to stop playing hooky and get back to providing us with those incredible, fantastic game photos he has so spoiled us with.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me, the really beautiful thing is that, with very, very few exceptions, the Husky who DOES get the ball, already knows what she is going to do with it, which is overwhelmingly likely to be either a put-back or an immediate pass to the teammate who is best positioned to do something effective with it. Seldom seen is any hesitation or indecision,
This CAN be taught. Geno has to practice this often, where it's instinctive. Grab the ball, look down court, make the pass to a moving, open, teammate and attack the basket PURELY GENO!!!!
Geno at one time told his teams---let the other team cheer at each made basket--you take the ball and head down court while they are celebrating making that basket. GENO!!!!

Reaction Score

Absolutely! You're speaking about the ball movement in the half court, and that really is impressive. But my favorite moments are watching Stewie and the gang grab a defensive rebound to initiate their mach-2 fast break. In the blink of an eye the ball is zipped to Moriah (she's like a ball magnet) flying near mid court, Kia and Gabby sprinting on the wings and the unselfish finish at the hoop. Beautiful, precise, and incredibly exciting.

Reaction Score
CAN'T TEACH THIS---IT'S CALLED A "NOSE" FOR THE BALL!!!!
This CAN be taught. Geno has to practice this often, where it's instinctive. Grab the ball, look down court, make the pass to a moving, open, teammate and attack the basket PURELY GENO!!!!
Geno at one time told his teams---let the other team cheer at each made basket--you take the ball and head down court while they are celebrating making that basket. GENO!!!!

Let me get this strait Broadway, no spitting match but at 8:34 You Can't Teach this and five minutes later This Can Be Taught ????? One of us is confused, :D personally I have seen nothing but what the OP photo projects since the day Geno & Chris got here...:)

Reaction Score
While I don't want Geno to rush her in the slightest, I am kinda hoping she will be ready to come in off the bench against Notre Dame on Dec. 5 should she be needed. Healthy in April trumps any other situation though.

De'Janae or Natalie?

HGN

Reaction Score
There were actually 10 eyes on the ball.......Kia was down court , out of the picture , waiting on the fast break pass.

Reaction Score
Let me get this strait Broadway, no spitting match but at 8:34 You Can't Teach this and five minutes later This Can Be Taught ????? One of us is confused, :D personally I have seen nothing but what the OP photo projects since the day Geno & Chris got here...:)
You must be a candidate for President!!
Each taken out of context means little, but in their original meaning the first one was about
Having a nose for the ball--can't be taught
The second about attacking the basket--can be taught. This was intended to be an add on to the first. But you knew all that--Candidate
Two separate subjects while speaking of the high quality of the team.

Reaction Score
The one is not in the Java's troubling photo ....
550x309

Reaction Score
When Natalie gets to playing we'll need some pics. This may be the best women's BBall team of all time. Don't know when we've had this level and quantity of talent ever.

Reaction Score
You must be a candidate for President!!
Each taken out of context means little, but in their original meaning the first one was about
Having a nose for the ball--can't be taught
The second about attacking the basket--can be taught. This was intended to be an add on to the first. But you knew all that--Candidate
Two separate subjects while speaking of the high quality of the team.

Wow first you surmise I am a candidate and with no reply you have me as one ??? Isn't that special. :confused::) Again no spitting match as we are both fans of the same team. My point which I thought maybe you could read between the lines was your back to back posts had you looking confused. This without taking anything out of context. If I were going to do that I would have used a bunch of silly synonyms on you and did not feel it was needed.
My own grammar may have been too short trying to keep the comment simple, my bad. :(
The main fact of my disagreement with the topic is your first comment is false. Having a nose for the ball can be taught just as easily as attacking the basket. It comes down to just how much knowledge a player can absorb and the desire to achieve perfection. It is no different on the court than in the class room. A legendary coach told me at an early age "coach" is simply another word for teacher. I will not bore you with ball trajectory, rotation, velocity, deflection etc. A little ground work and a dash of desire any player can develop a nose for the ball and most times where it is going.
Most recruits coming out of high school at our level have this pretty much down. Having said that the most that can be taken from the original photo is we were playing a weaker opponent which allowed four of our players to be near the ball at the same time and very determined to get the next assist. :D This is how they are taught once here....;)

Reaction Score
Wow first you surmise I am a candidate and with no reply you have me as one ??? Isn't that special. :confused::) Again no spitting match as we are both fans of the same team. My point which I thought maybe you could read between the lines was your back to back posts had you looking confused. This without taking anything out of context. If I were going to do that I would have used a bunch of silly synonyms on you and did not feel it was needed.
My own grammar may have been too short trying to keep the comment simple, my bad. :(
The main fact of my disagreement with the topic is your first comment is false. Having a nose for the ball can be taught just as easily as attacking the basket. It comes down to just how much knowledge a player can absorb and the desire to achieve perfection. It is no different on the court than in the class room. A legendary coach told me at an early age "coach" is simply another word for teacher. I will not bore you with ball trajectory, rotation, velocity, deflection etc. A little ground work and a dash of desire any player can develop a nose for the ball and most times where it is going.
Most recruits coming out of high school at our level have this pretty much down. Having said that the most that can be taken from the original photo is we were playing a weaker opponent which allowed four of our players to be near the ball at the same time and very determined to get the next assist. :D This is how they are taught once here....;)
MY CANDIDATE comment was meant to be funny, with the current media madness.
I respectfully disagree with your premise that Nose for the ball can actually be taught--fully. Everything to some degree can be taught if the person being taught has abilities and skills associated with that which is taught--(lots of words huh?).
No convoluted message from me nor thinking--even if you disagree.
But in any case--enjoyed your posting, and enjoy diverse opinions--if presented as you have presented yours. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom