A Sugar Daddy... | The Boneyard

A Sugar Daddy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
UConn sure could benefit from one stepping forward - to help with the endowment and/or AD - in the next few years.

The most qualified, imho? Timothy 'Scott' Case: alum, billionaire, co-founder of Priceline.com, philanthropist, has an athletics background (football). I seriously doubt if he'd be interested, though.

Any others?...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Ray Dalio? Richest billionaire in state at $14b. Doubt he has interest in UConn.
LIU undergrad; Harvard MBA. Born and raised in queens.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Agreed. When you see other marginal athletic departments benefiting or being bailed out (Maryland by Under Amour, Oregon by Phil Knight, Ok State by T Boone Pickens, etc) by sugar daddies, I too have wondered if UCONN has a person(s) of interest that might be able to do the same. Sure would be nice to get that endowment to at least $500M so it's not so embarrassingly low in comparison to others. A T Boone Pickens bail out to expand the Rent and give the football program $200-$300M would also be welcomed. I just hope that the sugar daddy isn't a Paul Pasqualoni sympathist and would demand he be rehired on the condition of giving the school hundreds of millions of dollars!

In full disclosure, I plan on being a UCONN sugar daddy if/when I ever win Powerball. You guys will LOVE the Rent once my money is put to work! :)

Dooley

Reaction Score
NOW I know why we have to sit through all of those annoying Subway giveaways during TV timeouts...

400x500

551. Peter Buck, Danbury

( Courtesy of Subway )
Net Worth, March 2014: $3 billion, #551
Net Worth, March 2013: $2.6 billion, #554

Co-Founder of Subway

CAPTION: Peter Buck, left, is pictured with his Subway co-founder Fred DeLuca.

Dooley

Reaction Score
With the exception of Vince McMahon and Neal Keating, all of CT's billionaires are Gold Coast investing company founders. Unlikely they would give UCONN a dime unless one of their kids or grandkids went there.

Here's a proposal: Vince McMahon gives UCONN $300M. $200M goes into the endowment to get that bad boy to $500-$600M. $100M goes into expanding the Rent to 60,000 with sports bar lounge area. In return, the state gives the WWE some sweetheart tax deal that it gives ESPiN and lots of money to build a state of the art wrestling venue to shoot live WWE events (allowing for better TV angles). WWE fans from all over will flock to CT to watch this stuff and, thus, spike CT's economy.

Reaction Score
With the exception of Vince McMahon and Neal Keating, all of CT's billionaires are Gold Coast investing company founders. Unlikely they would give UCONN a dime unless one of their kids or grandkids went there.

Here's a proposal: Vince McMahon gives UCONN $300M. $200M goes into the endowment to get that bad boy to $500-$600M. $100M goes into expanding the Rent to 60,000 with sports bar lounge area. In return, the state gives the WWE some sweetheart tax deal that it gives ESPiN and lots of money to build a state of the art wrestling venue to shoot live WWE events (allowing for better TV angles). WWE fans from all over will flock to CT to watch this stuff and, thus, spike CT's economy.
God, I hate WWE and Vince.... but I love my Huskies enough to support this deal!

Dooley

Reaction Score
God, I hate WWE and Vince.... but I love my Huskies enough to support this deal!

Me too. But if Vince ever became UCONN's sugar daddy then I will buy a McMahon family foam finger. I'd be voting Linda McMahon in every election she runs in including the Stamford BOE.

epark88

Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but McMahon's Alma Mater is now in the AAC.

I can see it now: ol' Vince making a guest appearance in the ESPN booth during a certain Thursday night UConn football telecast this season, making a major donation announcement for the opposing team. Ugh.

So in other words: no thanks, Vince and Linda...

Reaction Score
The great thing about the Subway guy Peter Buck is that he's also a rock musician, so not only will you have constant Subway promotions at the Rent, but think of the REM songs. After bad losses, "It's the end of the world as we know it." With a pack of huskies mushing after every TD, in a blow out we can play, "Driver Take a Break!" When wifi is down and people get out their radios to hear play-by-play, "What's the Frequency?" Before every first basket at a hoops game, "Stand..." If the opposition gets demolished with injuries, "Everybody hurts..." If you beat Maryland, "Go back to Rockville and waste another year."

I could go on.

epark88

Reaction Score
Change the paradigm = hope a billionaire comes out of nowhere to spend millions on UConn athletics.

I wouldn't exactly call it that, sir.

But just curious: what should we refer to your 'change the paradigm' idea as? If it's posted in another thread let me know, I think I somehow missed it...

Reaction Score
The great thing about the Subway guy Peter Buck is that he's also a rock musician, so not only will you have constant Subway promotions at the Rent, but think of the REM songs. After bad losses, "It's the end of the world as we know it." With a pack of huskies mushing after every TD, in a blow out we can play, "Driver Take a Break!" When wifi is down and people get out their radios to hear play-by-play, "What's the Frequency?" Before every first basket at a hoops game, "Stand..." If the opposition gets demolished with injuries, "Everybody hurts..." If you beat Maryland, "Go back to Rockville and waste another year."

I could go on.

On a related note: I graduated in '77. One of my class mates, who was in my college roommate's pharmacy school study group, went to work for Subway about a year after graduation. I went to a reunion years later. One of my college buddies said "Did you hear about Dave? He owns all of the Subway franchises from the Mexican border north to Orange County in California." If this is remotely true, I wonder if Dave would make a nominal donation to his alma mater?

p

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
coachcap said:
On a related note: I graduated in '77. One of my class mates, who was in my college roommate's pharmacy school study group, went to work for Subway about a year after graduation. I went to a reunion years later. One of my college buddies said "Did you hear about Dave? He owns all of the Subway franchises from the Mexican border north to Orange County in California." If this is remotely true, I wonder if Dave would make a nominal donation to his alma mater? p
I graduated in '77 - do you know Dave's last name? Was he from north haven?

Reaction Score
I graduated in '77 - do you know Dave's last name? Was he from north haven?
I honestly don't remember his last name. Never knew what town he was from, but I thought it was somewhere in Fairfield County. Graduated from School of Pharmacy, stood about 6' 3", black hair, scruffy beard (Who didn't in those days?), seemed to have a photo-memory, liked to party. Very likeable, & knew how to schmooze with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom