A slogan for the 2014-2015 UCONN women's basketball season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A slogan for the 2014-2015 UCONN women's basketball season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And I believe the movie featuring that shot of Bolo is Bloodsport, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as Frank Dux.
Correct, Bolo Yeung. At least the quote is from Bloodsport, not sure about the shot, but he pretty much looks the same in all those.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Of course this slogan business is gimmicky and unnecessary.

But it's still off-season, so what the hell.

There is a line of California-style clothing whose brand name deserves consideration:

"Hang Ten."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
While on the topic of "Blazing Saddles," I must include a little Yiddish lesson.

Madeline Kahn played the Marlene Dietrich-inspired role of Lili Von Stupf.

Her screen name was no accident. Just Mel Brooks at his best.

So, vat means Stupf?

Just what you would expect. So Google already!;)

Reaction Score
Like the late "Al Davis " always said...Just Win Baby!!!.......UCONN knows how to win and does not care what other teams think about it.........IMO..When Stewie and Geno win 4 straight and #11.....Geno rides off into the Sunset a very happy and rich man....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
At first I said, "no slogan." A dynasty doesn't need a silly slogan and it seems beneath UConn.
Then I said, "hey, wait, slogans make the world go round." And they pay my mortgage.
(Maybe it's the influence of all the political commercials tempting me to play both sides of the field.)
Anyway, it should be short, sweet and make you think.
My suggestion is more a moniker than a slogan:
X-men.
The team is human, but they appear to play with superhuman powers. X for ten…you get the picture.
You could go with X-women if people are going to get all gendered on it, but the "real" X-men include women.
Now, the more I read it, the less I like it. But I already invested quite a bit of labor typing this, so I am hitting post.

Reaction Score

There is a line of California-style clothing whose brand name deserves consideration:

"Hang Ten."
I really like this as it would pertain to hanging NC banner #10.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Slim Pickens- the Toll Gate in the middle of the desert, in honor of governor Alemaine( Mel Brooks) The Gov- "someone go back and get a shi- load of dimes"

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And I believe the movie featuring that shot of Bolo is Bloodsport, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as Frank Dux.
Yep. I love that movie. Kinda cool that Dux is a real guy and records he still holds.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is Bolo but John Saxon (Roper) defeated him, Bruce Lee didn't fight him. You're welcome.
oh Bolo is smarter than I thought

Reaction Score
Rubber Ducky! Rubber Ducky!...That's not my rubber ducky.
I've remembered several other scenes/quotes since my initial encounter with this thread. One is Cleavon Little's classic quip upon returning as a Marshall after being sentenced to hang. His friend, deliriously happy to see his buddy alive, says, "They said you was hung." I won't post Cleavon's response but you can probably divine the jist of it even if you don't remember the exact wording.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

"Hang Ten."
I'm with you on this one. :D

Reaction Score
Last year, the Lady Volunteers slogan for winning a ninth national championship was, "Grind for Nine." For the Women Huskies upcoming season, I suggest that the appropriate phrase be, "Again for Ten."

Thank you newbie Ricky! This thread has been long & loads of fun. I think we're all ready now for the real life fun of watching practice & our dreams come true again.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
is that Bolo... the one Bruce Lee ripped a new one in "Enter The Dragon"
Actually it was John Saxon that had the climactic fight with Bolo Yeung in "Enter the Dragon," Bruce Lee dueled to the death with Master Han, who was played by Chinese Actor Shih Kien.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I've remembered several other scenes/quotes since my initial encounter with this thread. One is Cleavon Little's classic quip upon returning as a Marshall after being sentenced to hang. His friend, deliriously happy to see his buddy alive, says, "They said you was hung." I won't post Cleavon's response but you can probably divine the jist of it even if you don't remember the exact wording.

1. Saving the handcar instead of Cleavon & friend
2. The executioner and his queue
3. Harvey Korman's incredibly spewed listing of every possible kind of ne'er-do-well
4. The Teutonic Titwillow.
4a. "Ahm tahrred"
5. "We gotta build a fake town before sunrise"
6. "Anyone moves, the nig* gets it!"
7. "This is my shooting hand."
8. "Don't shoot him, you'll only make him mad."
9. "We give 'em the old number 4(?). Ride into town, a-whoopin' & a-hollerin' and..."
10. "Someone go back and get a whole s*tload of dimes."
11. "It's twoo! It's twoo!"
12. The climactic fight scene, spilling out onto other soundstages and cultures.
13. Mel Brooks the director managing to make the few serious-appearing moments in the film stick out as oddities.

and, many, many more.

Great movie.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Actually it was John Saxon that had the climactic fight with Bolo Yeung in "Enter the Dragon," Bruce Lee dueled to the death with Master Han, who was played by Chinese Actor Shih Kien.
its been mentioned already, thanks for the lesson

Reaction Score
Last year, the Lady Volunteers slogan for winning a ninth national championship was, "Grind for Nine." For the Women Huskies upcoming season, I suggest that the appropriate phrase be, "Again for Ten."

Tennessee has a new one ;

images

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
While on the topic of "Blazing Saddles," I must include a little Yiddish lesson.

Madeline Kahn played the Marlene Dietrich-inspired role of Lili Von Stupf.

Her screen name was no accident. Just Mel Brooks at his best.

So, vat means Stupf?

Just what you would expect. So Google already!;)

Unfortunately, the character Madeline played was Lily von Shtupp, which was just a German-sounding version of an English slang word that means just what you would expect.

Reaction Score
For Stewie, Morgan, Moriah, Kiah, and KML its just lets get number 3. That would put them in Elite company.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yiddish, yiddish! Not English. How about; "I will now read from the Books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and DUCK!?
or "Stampeding cattle? That's not much of a crimel." "Through the Vatican?" "Sign here."
or "These are simple people, people of the land. The common clay of the West. You know, morons."
and it was Governor LePetomaine.
and "Mongo isn't exactly a 'who'. He's more of a 'what'."
or "Telegram for Mongo/"
or "That's Hedley!"
or "Mongo only pawn in game of life."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'Again for ten' sounds appropriate. On a related note, 2015 will mark Geno's 30th year as coach. If we win our 10th title this year it will be 10 NC's in 20 years, so half the titles since our first in 1995. So a third of Geno's years coaching will have resulted in a national championship.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
To be honest, I laughed myself teary-eyed when I first saw the film but all I can remember now is the beans around the campfire scene.

"And don't call me Shirley!";)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger