A Sickening Reminder Of Why We're Not Playing | The Boneyard

A Sickening Reminder Of Why We're Not Playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...berg/08/31/UNC-NCAA-academic-fraud/index.html

QUESTION 1: Player A's father pays Player B $3,000 to take a final exam for him. Who violated NCAA rules?

A. Players A and B, for blatant academic fraud.
B. Nobody.
C. Player B, for ruining his amateur status.

The answer is ...

D. It depends on the strength of NCAA president Mark Emmert's coffee when it happens.
But clearly, the NCAA would be more worried about a player getting a little extra money than, you know, violating the central mission of a university.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/michael_rosenberg/08/31/UNC-NCAA-academic-fraud/index.html#ixzz2NqOrWDn1

Reaction Score
You have to wonder how this will affect the UNC program down the line. With the cat out of the bag, their players will now have to take and pass real classes....or is there still no one looking and this fraud still being allowed to continue? The goons at the NCAA have set a bad precedent by not getting involved, but then again, no one holds the NCAA accountable so I guess precedent has no meaning here.

Reaction Score
Some vindication....

"The NCAA just made it clear: The Huskies should have cheated. UConn should have given all its players a phony A. Then the NCAA would say, "No violations here!" Instead, UConn was honest about its academic failures, and the NCAA banned the Huskies. Tell me again about those "life lessons" the NCAA wants to teach."

I really wish they published this sooner.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Some vindication....

"The NCAA just made it clear: The Huskies should have cheated. UConn should have given all its players a phony A. Then the NCAA would say, "No violations here!" Instead, UConn was honest about its academic failures, and the NCAA banned the Huskies. Tell me again about those "life lessons" the NCAA wants to teach."

I really wish they published this sooner.
The article is from Aug 2012.....how much sooner do you want it? I didn't realize the date until I was reading some comments and they said Sept 2....dunno if this article has been linked earlier but it is disgusting that UNC gets away unscathed

Reaction Score
The article is from Aug 2012.....how much sooner do you want it? I didn't realize the date until I was reading some comments and they said Sept 2....dunno if this article has been linked earlier but it is disgusting that UNC gets away unscathed
My bad. Did not notice the date.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The punishment inflicted by the NCAA was as harsh as it could get short of the death penalty handed out to SMU in football a few years back.
The threat of the post-season ban was a significant part in the decision process for losing FIVE players who had remaining eligibility, four with NBA level potential. Several perspective recruits were also driven off, including players with NBA potential like Anthony Bennett.
The ban likely played a partial role in the retirement decision for our Hall-of-Fame coach, and undoubtably helped to leave us on the short end of the stick in CR. all this when the basis was severely flawed (double jeopardy) and certainly stinks of a Mark Emmert vendetta.

Despite it all, UConn basketball has persevered and the future looks bright under Coach Ollie.

Reaction Score
Comparing a one year ban to SMU? Not even close. SMU went from powerhouse to gone, never heard from again. Granted, SMU had some legendary shenanigans going on...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My favorite part of the SMU stories was the bit about the board of trustees finding out about the slush find and then deciding to phase it out as the current players graduated - they didn't want to renege on the payments already promised.

That penalty was far worse than what UConn just went through - they were leveled as a program.

Ironically, their first win back from the death penalty was in 1989...against UConn.

They were all freshmen, UConn was IAA....they won 31-30.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the SMU stories was the bit about the board of trustees finding out about the slush find and then deciding to phase it out as the current players graduated - they didn't want to renege on the payments already promised.

That penalty was far worse than what UConn just went through - they were leveled as a program.

Ironically, their first win back from the death penalty was in 1989...against UConn.

They were all freshmen, UConn was IAA....they won 31-30.

what I always remember about this game, is that you can have a big lead, I was watching this game on channel 8 in Waterbury. it was an electrical storm and we lost cable for the night. when I went to bed uconn had a big lead. read the paper next morning, found out SMU made a huge comeback and won.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was awful - UConn was up 30-14 with under five minutes to play and we managed to lose it.

I blame DeLeone and to a lesser extent, Johnny Selvie.

Reaction Score
You have to wonder how this will affect the UNC program down the line. With the cat out of the bag, their players will now have to take and pass real classes....or is there still no one looking and this fraud still being allowed to continue? The goons at the NCAA have set a bad precedent by not getting involved, but then again, no one holds the NCAA accountable so I guess precedent has no meaning here.
No one cares.

Reaction Score
It was awful - UConn was up 30-14 with under five minutes to play and we managed to lose it.

I blame DeLeone and to a lesser extent, Johnny Selvie.
Not to drag this on, but I really thought the story in the paper had to be wrong so I tuned in the 5 o'clock news just to confirm it actually happened. I blame Tom Jackson
And Deleone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32