A Salute To Dumb ADs | The Boneyard

A Salute To Dumb ADs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the greatest things for me about the NCAA championship series for me every year is it introduces me to teams and coaching staffs I would otherwise never see. The best of it is most often in the early rounds when I see really good coaching applied to lower seeded teams and they demonstrate how to attack a team with more talent but less discipline/coaching. They don't often win, but they sure make a case for some weakness in the crew that just barely beat them.

I have no doubt that the bottom half of the draw has coaches that are better than at least 1/2 of the top half coaches. As Tennessee so amply demonstrates, if you have the draw to get the high school athletes, you can be less than mediocre in the coaching realm and still plug on - that is the top end of living on a legacy but there are plenty more that come to mind.

I would like to see a big legacy team go get one of these coaches and see where it goes.

I'm convinced that one of the reasons Geno is so open in his coaching is that he knows the people who can actually absorb and apply it cannot get the recruits to put them in his league, yet he wants to see the game advance AND those who can get the recruits don't have the drive and brains to emulate his success.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually think most good coaches are pretty open with their practices and the assistance they give to young coaches and it carries over to the men's side as well.
I agree with you on the ADs not actually looking at some of these mid-major type coaches and going out on a limb. Though some of the best have been offered, just never tempted enough. It takes more than just skill as a coach and some coaches for whatever reason don't want to leave their good situations. Jen is an example based on family considerations. Guy at Marist has turned down a number of inquiries. And I do not blame them - sometimes the grass isn't greener, and having a good administration and nice community and good home is better than being a big dog with a crap administration or in a part of the country you don't know or like.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
UcM...I suspect your last sentence nails it for a number of wise folk. The grass is more than green enough. Can be a very good life indeed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Brian Giorges of Marist is a home grown Poughkeepsie boy. He coached girls basketball at Our Lady of Lourdes HS in Poughkeepsie for a number of years, including a couple of state titles, before moving to Marist. He has no desire to move to another job.

There is a lot to be said for the situation Giorges has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom