A few thoughts after the Creighton game. | The Boneyard

A few thoughts after the Creighton game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
1. Kia Nurse is the real deal. I was convinced that she was a terrific defender but skeptical of her ooutside shot. One game is not normally a suffcient sampler (e.g., Chong had an 0-fer game and she is a good shooter), she knocked treys down with confidence, accuracy and beautiful form. I agree with (John Altavila?) who suggested the likelihood that she will be a four-year starter. (With AA potential)

2. I'll give myself an *ahem* for persistently posting that "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start" and "Some Boneyarders forget how good she was" before injuries and surgery. Ans I thank Big Petunia for sharing my (then) minority vision. Morgan reminded everyone how well she plays (all over the coourt) and I think it was significant that Geno commented about how well she and Stewie complement one another.

3. Height alone does not make for superior play. (Think Rodman, Russell, Barkley, etc.) Morgan and Gabby may yield a couple inches in matchups but they will hold their own. Just watch.

4. Over the course of a 35+ game season, I expect Geno to vary the starting lineup and substitution patterns based on what the opponents have or, more importantly, to create matchup problems for the other guys. We're a little short (pun intended) in the frontcourt but have lots of depth and a big batch of good perimeter shooters. Geno will cover our shortcomings and exploit opponents' weaknesses. As he has always done. Well, almost always. ;)

5. Suggestions that Geno has traumatized Chong are without merit. She is one tough competitor and will be an asset in any role Geno assigns.

Reaction Score
1. Kia Nurse is the real deal. I was convinced that she was a terrific defender but skeptical of her ooutside shot. One game is not normally a suffcient sampler (e.g., Chong had an 0-fer game and she is a good shooter), she knocked treys down with confidence, accuracy and beautiful form. I agree with (John Altavila?) who suggested the likelihood that she will be a four-year starter. (With AA potential)

2. I'll give myself an *ahem* for persistently posting that "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start" and "Some Boneyarders forget how good she was" before injuries and surgery. Ans I thank Big Petunia for sharing my (then) minority vision. Morgan reminded everyone how well she plays (all over the coourt) and I think it was significant that Geno commented about how well she and Stewie complement one another.

3. Height alone does not make for superior play. (Think Rodman, Russell, Barkley, etc.) Morgan and Gabby may yield a couple inches in matchups but they will hold their own. Just watch.

4. Over the course of a 35+ game season, I expect Geno to vary the starting lineup and substitution patterns based on what the opponents have or, more importantly, to create matchup problems for the other guys. We're a little short (pun intended) in the frontcourt but have lots of depth and a big batch of good perimeter shooters. Geno will cover our shortcomings and exploit opponents' weaknesses. As he has always done. Well, almost always. ;)

5. Suggestions that Geno has traumatized Chong are without merit. She is one tough competitor and will be an asset in any role Geno assigns.

I agree Kib in some apsects don't agree on others.

I agree about Tuck in one manner - people forget hwo good she is.
so if she starts it will be over Kiah. As for Gabby - I think Stokes is much better vs the prime teams. Gimme the sr over the frosh. Though it is troubling she misses the post a lot.

As far as lineups moving forward, I don't agree over the 35 game season are staring lienups will vary much unless he is getting erratic play from both Chong and Nurse and getting it from Stokes as well. Otherwise I believe in what I've heard them say many times over the years- to parpahrase "we don't react as much to what other teams do, we make them react to what we do,"

We are powerful enough to use this motto throughout the season vs any opponent. There are no Brittney Griner Baylor's out there.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As far as lineups moving forward, I don't agree over the 35 game season are staring lienups will vary much unless he is getting erratic play from both Chong and Nurse and getting it from Stokes as well. Otherwise I believe in what I've heard them say many times over the years- to parpahrase "we don't react as much to what other teams do, we make them react to what we do,"

Perhaps I could have said it better, had I used the modifier "occasionally" about the lineup changes. Permit me to cite three examples:

Duke. Geno might start Tuck in games preceding this game, then start Stokes (to defend Williams);

Notre Dame. Surely he will want to try to force a matchup of Reimer (who is big, but not quick) vs. Stewie or Morgan. And Ms Loyd will meet Ms Nurse.

South Carolina. A big team (start Stokes) with star guards, Mitchell (Moriah) and Wilson (Nurse).​

Let's see what he does. ;)

Reaction Score
I never forgot how good tuck is. But you can only start 5 players. I don't recall anyone arguing that Tuck should start instead of Stokes. If not Stojes, then whose spot would she take?

Reaction Score
Judging from the fact that Creighton was able to make 43% of their 3pt shots today, I am not so sure the defense
was all that much better than against Stanford. It looks a bit out of control at times to me. It is easy to overlook
when you win by 30+, but then again it is against Creighton.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I agree Kib in some apsects don't agree on others.

I agree about Tuck in one manner - people forget hwo good she is.
so if she starts it will be over Kiah. As for Gabby - I think Stokes is much better vs the prime teams. Gimme the sr over the frosh. Though it is troubling she misses the post a lot.

We are powerful enough to use this motto throughout the season vs any opponent. There are no Brittney Griner Baylor's out there.
Coates for So Car and Harrison will force us to use Stokes a lot. We are 1000 % better on offense, and a better team in general w Tuck on the floor vs Stokes.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I never forgot how good tuck is. But you can only start 5 players. I don't recall anyone arguing that Tuck should start instead of Stokes. If not Stojes, then whose spot would she take?
I was one that figured Tuck would start over Stokes when/if her knee was 100% and the rust was off. Tuck has a calm cool head like Nurse, and she's a true triple threat.
The way this is going- Stewie may be the three for KML a lot also. Stokes may be our 6th man again already, and Chong 1st guard off the bench.

Reaction Score
Perhaps I could have said it better, had I used the modifier "occasionally" about the lineup changes. Permit me to cite three examples:

Duke. Geno might start Tuck in games preceding this game, then start Stokes (to defend Williams);

Notre Dame. Surely he will want to try to force a matchup of Reimer (who is big, but not quick) vs. Stewie or Morgan. And Ms Loyd will meet Ms Nurse.

South Carolina. A big team (start Stokes) with star guards, Mitchell (Moriah) and Wilson (Nurse).​

Let's see what he does. ;)

I think I understand what you're saying now. I can recall there were times he'd bench Charde or have her come off the bench vs a team he thought he could beat then start Charde for the next game thereafter - such as Tennessee? Shuffle the lineups for example a motivational tool to get a particular player or two fired up. Is that what you're also saying?

Reaction Score
I cannot ever recall Geno switching starting lineups from game to game for situational purposes.

Reaction Score
I cannot ever recall Geno switching starting lineups from game to game for situational purposes.

Not game to game. Many games there will be no doubt. I know he did use Charde as a motivation to not play her or start her because she was so inconsistent.

I think there was one game vs Pitt or Depaul he refused to put her in even though the game turned into a nail-biter. UCONN won.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Gd point- I can't either. The more I think about this, we have not had the number of players and potential line ups to throw at the completion when needed. We haven't had this flexibility in a long long time! :)

Reaction Score
Judging from the fact that Creighton was able to make 43% of their 3pt shots today, I am not so sure the defense
was all that much better than against Stanford. It looks a bit out of control at times to me. It is easy to overlook

When a team built to take and make 3pt shots, attempts 30 and make less than half, I think you did a pretty decent job. The problem with the defense against Stanford was that they were allowed to get in the lane with ease and make a bunch of lay ups. Creighton went 8-30 inside the arch. So IMO I think the defense was much improved from that standpoint.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Never say never.

We've had two games thus far this season and only three players have started both games. One situation was that Kaleena had the flu and the other was that Geno wanted better defense. So Morgan replaced Kaleena (probably temporarily) and Kia replaced Saniya (probably permanently.

Over a long season, others will become ill or fall out of favor. Let's see how Geno deals with each situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not game to game. Many games there will be no doubt. I know he did use Charde as a motivation to not play her or start her because she was so inconsistent.

I think there was one game vs Pitt or Depaul he refused to put her in even though the game turned into a nail-biter. UCONN won.

But that's not situational either. That was because of effort.

Geno only changes lineups for injuries or if there are problems.

Reaction Score

Lots of good points.

First, insofar as Morgan Tuck is concerned, we have obviously concurred from the beginning of the year. But, while we're feeling vindicated, and are busily patting ourselves on the back, I'd like to say two things: First, I don't think the MT we're seeing now is anywhere near the player I expect her to be by tourney time. I don't think she's fully got her basketball "legs" under her yet, and is exhibiting some occasional wildness underneath that keeps her from consistently "finishing" on offensive opportunities. I expect that to dramatically improve. Second, in my pre-season thinking, I thought Geno might elect to go with a big lineup, starting MT and sending KML out to the #2. Several posters demurred, suggesting that, for a variety of reasons, KML was a poor fit for the #2, and they were probably right. More importantly, what you point out about Kia Nurse is the ultimate truth...she IS the real deal.

Nurse is in the starting lineup to stay, in my opinion. It's not just that, for reasons we well-understand, she's playing like no Freshman guard in recent memory, but her very instinct is to play Geno-style basketball. She pushes the ball up the floor relentlessly, knows where the ball is supposed to go, and how quickly it's supposed to go there. She's such a natural fit in the Geno system, it's hard to imagine her being dislodged from the starting five. So Morgan, if she's going to start, is more likely to do so at Kiah's expense than anyone else's.

Finally, while you didn't mention it, I think one more major takeaway from the game is the direction in which Gabby appears to be headed. Unlike Kia, she is very much playing like a Freshman. She's clearly very raw, but, to anyone who understands this game, I think her upside potential must be pretty apparent. The kid's just an athlete, and while she'll make a ton of early mistakes, she is, I think, destined for UConn stardom in time.

Reaction Score
Stokes may be making that argument.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was one play where Morgan blew by a defender at warp speed to get inside.
Perhaps faster than anyone on the team with the exception of Mo.
I think big P is right.
The Morgan we're going to see is still out there.
And when it emerges in all its glory, this is gonna be one heck of a front line to counter.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

hmmm...made 43% of their 3 point shots...that's 43% of the shots that they were able to get off. Watch the game again, and see how many times their efforts to get set to take shots were thwarted by the UConn defense as well as how many shots were affected by that same defense.

Please also understand that no team is going to have a score of zero at the end of a game.

The UConn defense did appear to look like a hot mess, but I expected this after losing to Stamford, and I applaud their effort.

The large difference in score tells the story, and one must admit if he were watching with an open mind that this Creighton team was really good, great passing skills and great shooters, and they never lost their minds even against this UConn press. Credit where credit is due.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think I understand what you're saying now. I can recall there were times he'd bench Charde or have her come off the bench vs a team he thought he could beat then start Charde for the next game thereafter - such as Tennessee? Shuffle the lineups for example a motivational tool to get a particular player or two fired up. Is that what you're also saying?

With Charde, one never knew, and we cannot assume why Geno did what he did. Practice always is an indicator of if a player would play and if so, how many minutes (see Gabby's post game comments).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I don't recall any of you saying Tuck was going to start in place of Stokes. Those that said Tuck would start also said KML would move over to the 2. Not gonna happen. IF Tuck does start (other than for illness/injuries), she'll start in place of Stokes. Although we've yet to see that. So all of your "persistent posting" has yet to come to pass. And when it does it won't be as you guys said.

As I said when responding to your guys posts over the summer, IF we started Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML and Jefferson, that would be a very bad thing. Because that would mean none of our guards had stepped up. Luckily, that's not going to happen (unless we end up with illness/injuries and again, that's a bad thing). Nurse and Chong have done a pretty good job so far.

If Tuck OR Stokes end up coming off the bench, I have no problem with it either way.

Yesterday's starting line-up was NOT a good thing. It meant we had both of our 3s out of the lineup. That's not a good thing, no matter how well everyone else plays to make up for it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. I don't recall any of you saying Tuck was going to start in place of Stokes.

I feel no pain. My focus was on my belief that "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start."

And she is.

As this plays out, it NOW appears that Stokes and Chong will be first two off the bench followed by Gabby a New York minute later. (Yikes! An eight player rotation!) And no telling/predicting what might happen when Courtney returns and hits her stride.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I feel no pain. My focus was on my belief that "Morgan Tuck is too good to not start."
Half a focus.

As this plays out, it NOW appears that Stokes and Chong will be first two off the bench
Haven't seen it yet though. You guys are patting yourself on the back for something that hasn't happened (yet, it may well though). And not the way you guys said it would.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Geno hit it on the head when he said it wasn't going to be pretty as the team developed and matured.
Lots and lots of talent
The moving parts still leave a bit to be desired.
If he is the wizard that we all think he is
Watching this team grow and mesh will be very, very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom