A couple Big Ten articles of note today | The Boneyard

A couple Big Ten articles of note today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Won't let me read the one from the Chicago Tribune, what does it say?

As for the hockey article, I think hockey would be extremely successful at schools like Nebraska, Northwester, Illinois, etc

Reaction Score
Some key lines:
"The match of quality and quantity speaks to the power of the Big Ten. Yet as Delany schmoozes with his current network partners at the United Center, he and the Big Ten face crucial decisions about their TV future. The league's football and basketball deals with ESPN/ABC and CBS expire after the 2016-17 basketball season. Negotiations are expected to heat up soon, assuming they haven't already."

"Delany knows his timing couldn't be better, as the Big Ten's TV rights will be the last major sports property, pro or college, to be on the market in this decade. That news isn't lost on Fox Sports, which desperately needs top-tier live programming for its cable outlet, Fox Sports 1. The network has struggled to gain a foothold in 1 1/2 years of operation."

"There are several factors in play, including this scenario: Delany might not have to pick between ESPN and Fox. With the commissioner looking to cash in big, there's speculation the price might be too high for one entity to write a huge multi-billion dollar check for the entire package. The best play might be for Delany to cut deals to place games on both networks. The move likely would lead to a bigger payday and it still would give the Big Ten a presence on ESPN."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTGoonie said:
With the commissioner looking to cash in big, there's speculation the price might be too high for one entity to write a huge multi-billion dollar check for the entire package. The best play might be for Delany to cut deals to place games on both networks. The move likely would lead to a bigger payday and it still would give the Big Ten a presence on ESPN."

Hmmmm...looks like old JD might need more teams....

Reaction Score
Some key lines:
"The match of quality and quantity speaks to the power of the Big Ten. Yet as Delany schmoozes with his current network partners at the United Center, he and the Big Ten face crucial decisions about their TV future. The league's football and basketball deals with ESPN/ABC and CBS expire after the 2016-17 basketball season. Negotiations are expected to heat up soon, assuming they haven't already."

"Delany knows his timing couldn't be better, as the Big Ten's TV rights will be the last major sports property, pro or college, to be on the market in this decade. That news isn't lost on Fox Sports, which desperately needs top-tier live programming for its cable outlet, Fox Sports 1. The network has struggled to gain a foothold in 1 1/2 years of operation."

"There are several factors in play, including this scenario: Delany might not have to pick between ESPN and Fox. With the commissioner looking to cash in big, there's speculation the price might be too high for one entity to write a huge multi-billion dollar check for the entire package. The best play might be for Delany to cut deals to place games on both networks. The move likely would lead to a bigger payday and it still would give the Big Ten a presence on ESPN."
My "like" is contingent on getting into the B1G and getting a cut of that sweet sweet cash.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We would get an enormous bump in revenue though just by being in the league and not even sharing in their TV deal because our ticket sales would be through the roof. We could probably expand The Rent to 50 or 55K whatever the max number was, and still sell out every game.

Reaction Score
We would get an enormous bump in revenue though just by being in the league and not even sharing in their TV deal because our ticket sales would be through the roof. We could probably expand The Rent to 50 or 55K whatever the max number was, and still sell out every game.
I'm primarily a basketball fan, and it's a pain for me to get from Boston to the Rent. Call me a bad fan, but I'm not doing it to see Houston or SMU.

An association with the B1G would get me to purchase season tickets. Maybe even the ACC.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm primarily a basketball fan, and it's a pain for me to get from Boston to the Rent. Call me a bad fan, but I'm not doing it to see Houston or SMU.

An association with the B1G would get me to purchase season tickets. Maybe even the ACC.

I don't blame you. I watch every game on TV but I'm sorry I'm not shilling out for tickets to see a crappy product against crappy teams. When we get better, or if we play better teams, I will come back. And I live a half hour from The Rent.

Reaction Score
I live 75 miles south of the rent. The game is just one of the reasons I attend. The atmosphere, the tailgate and meeting family and friends is also a huge draw. To drive 6-7 times a year is not a hardship it's part of the fun.

Reaction Score
Won't let me read the one from the Chicago Tribune, what does it say?

As for the hockey article, I think hockey would be extremely successful at schools like Nebraska, Northwester, Illinois, etc

Northwestern is the most likely candidate.

Illinois has massive state budget issues to contend with; doubt spending the money on D1 Men's & women's hockey would be a smart move for them right now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...education-met-0220-20150219-story.html#page=1

Rutgers is in the same boat as Illinois.

For Nebraska, it maybe more political as having 2 D1 hockey programs in the state maybe overkill as U Nebraska Omaha's program has been around for a while now (1997). 'Moving' the program from Omaha to Lincoln looks logical; but, would likely cause a political fireball.

Reaction Score
What makes college football so much fun is the entire experience of tailgating and watching the game. And the bigger the tailgating experience, including driving, eating, drinking socializing, then the smaller the game becomes in terms of the entire experience. So if the game is not good, just eat and drink more until the game is only maybe 20% of the entire experience. Makes sense, right?
I think you will find that it is not uncommon for many fans of big programs to never make it into the game. Sounds a like like the Yale Bowl experience back in the day.

Reaction Score
What makes college football so much fun is the entire experience of tailgating and watching the game. And the bigger the tailgating experience, including driving, eating, drinking socializing, then the smaller the game becomes in terms of the entire experience. So if the game is not good, just eat and drink more until the game is only maybe 20% of the entire experience. Makes sense, right?
I think you will find that it is not uncommon for many fans of big programs to never make it into the game. Sounds a like like the Yale Bowl experience back in the day.

You forgot the ability to eat, drink, play toss/corn hole/etc. all while watching young co-eds run around in shorts and cut-off t-shirts during early fall games :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom