6'5", 6'4" & 6'3" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

6'5", 6'4" & 6'3"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hope BB isn't another KJ Johnson--played great, good guard, hit the 3's==didn't appear to fit with the team--went to Purdue and fell into a black hole.
I hadn't gotten the impression that banks didn't fit with the team. It seemed to me like she didn't feel like she was going to be 100% ready this coming season so she'd take another year and make one last push to have a pro career. And to do that she wanted to get significant playing time.

KJ was an entirely different situation. She had some issues from the start IIRC, even getting suspended by Geno for a game because she wasn't doing what she needed to be doing (ie, academics).

Reaction Score
vowelguy, Kaleena is not a guard. Just because she can shoot the three does not make her a guard. Moriah and Bria were the guards. Kaleena is a small forward who is built like a power forward. If you look at her high school position it will say wing. What the heck is a wing? Only in women's high school baksetball. Is Bre a guard because she can shoot the three? Height has nothing to do with what position Kaleena plays. She is not a guard. How often have you seen her handling the ball and bringing it from the back court to the front court? Not often and only if she has to.

Reaction Score
A few details I forgot to mention. Rosemary is exceptional without question; however, that did not prevent Caroline from tearing her ACL a second time in college. As far as Stef, Bre and Kiah that was more a lack of depth. Had Morgan been healthy, you would have seen less of Kiah, maybe a lot less. I'm talking about "the possibility" of a starting front court of 6'5", 6'4" & 6'3". Nowhere did I say it was etched in stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What the heck is a wing?
Um....a wing is a player that primarily plays on the wing on offense.

I'm not as intimately familiar with UConn, but on some teams (Notre Dame for one) there are really only three positions: point guard, wing, and post.

KML is a "3", which is often designated as G/F. That's usually a cop out. I agree that KML is a forward. That said, K-Mac is not really a "forward" despite playing the 3 for San Antonio. For players like those two, I thin "wing" is a more accurate descriptor than "guard" or "forward".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno actually likes the 8 person rotation. 6 person rotation was by default--also Geno needs time to "trust" all but a few freshmen. I think Christine likes the 6 person rotation, then she does not need to be a bookkeeper with minutes played--ala Svet and company
I've noticed this a couple times. Why do you call CD, Christine? Geno, the players, reporters, nobody that I know of calls her Christine. It's always CD, Chris or Coach Dailey. Even her UCONN bio is "Chris".

Reaction Score
I know what wing means, thank you. Have you ever heard the term in men's basketball at any level? I never have. A wing is a player who plays to the left or right of the center in hockey. A wing is part of an airplane or what a bird uses to fly. Some teams use a three guard offense at times. The term wing should be excised from women's basketball. Traditionally you had a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and a center. Traditions have changed, but I still don't like the term wing. How do you categorize LeBron James or Kevin Durant? Traditional descriptions no longer work, but I can't stand the term wing.

Reaction Score
Isn't a wing just another word for "swingman"? Can play the 2 or the 3?

Reaction Score
Have you ever heard the term in men's basketball at any level? I never have.

I have. It's quite commonly used on the men's boneyard to describe one player or another. I've also seen it used in journalism, e.g. this article about NBA draft prospects.

j66kicker is correct, I think: it's not about positioning on the court, which makes sense because guard-forward players usually only stick to one part of the court if they're offensively limited. It means that they can play a guard or a forward role, which does seem to describe KML.

Reaction Score
It's funny that you think wing (in basketball) is a only a term for girls basketball...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know what wing means, thank you. Have you ever heard the term in men's basketball at any level? I never have.
Then you probably need to get out more. Yea, they use wing quite a bit in men and women's basketball. It's been around for many, many years.

Isn't a wing just another word for "swingman"? Can play the 2 or the 3?
Yes, a wing is generally a 2/3 player. Not quite a small forward, but similar.

Besides the 1,2,3,4,5, you have Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Combo Guard, Wing, Swingman, Small Forward, Point Forward, Power Forward, Post, Pivot, Center. In a motion offense it is not quite as important or as easy to distinguish who plays what.

Reaction Score
xHunt3r, the terminology referred to a position on the floor not a player. I know where the wing is. I don't need to get out more. I have never heard it used in reference to a player. I have heard it used in reference to a position on the floor. In the N.B.A. players are point guards, shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, centers and swingmen for those who "swing" between more than one position.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
xHunt3r, the terminology referred to a position on the floor not a player. I know where the wing is. I don't need to get out more. I have never heard it used in reference to a player. I have heard it used in reference to a position on the floor. In the N.B.A. players are point guards, shooting guards, small forwards, power forwards, centers and swingmen for those who "swing" between more than one position.
Fine, don't get out more. You just won't know.

You probably never heard of Google either, huh?

http://basketballhq.com/5-things-every-basketball-wing-player-know

http://www.my-youth-basketball-player.com/basketball-positions.html#.U9KCLmNCz1s

http://basketball.isport.com/basketball-guides/how-to-be-a-great-wing-player-in-basketball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swingman

Channeling a little doggydaddy. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The definition of exactly what position one plays has become a huge deal in the NFL. A team can put a 1-year "franchise" tag on a player with whom they have not agreed on a contract extension, and pay the player the average of the top 5 players at that position in the league without this salary affecting their salary cap. Recently Jimmy Graham appealed the New Orleans Saints franchising him as a tight end, and claimed he was more of a wide receiver, a position that
Then you probably need to get out more. Yea, they use wing quite a bit in men and women's basketball. It's been around for many, many years.

Yes, a wing is generally a 2/3 player. Not quite a small forward, but similar.

Besides the 1,2,3,4,5, you have Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Combo Guard, Wing, Swingman, Small Forward, Point Forward, Power Forward, Post, Pivot, Center. In a motion offense it is not quite as important or as easy to distinguish who plays what.
In the NFL it is now becoming hugely important to distinguish who plays what, for business reasons. A team can put a 1-year "franchise" tag on a player with whom they have not agreed on a contract extension. In return they have to pay the player the average of the top 5 players at that position in the league, but this salary increase (if any) doesn't affect their salary cap that year.

Recently Jimmy Graham appealed the New Orleans Saints franchising him as a tight end and claimed he was more of a wide receiver, a position that averages a much higher salary. He is very talented and is able to play in ways characteristic of each position. He prepared to demonstrate he was a wide-out, showing how many times he lined up wide vs. tight, etc. The team prepared to demonstrate that other tight ends nowadays do pretty much the same thing, etc. But in the hearing the team just showed that Graham listed himself as a tight end on his own Twitter and Facebook accounts - duhhh. He lost the appeal and it cost him big bucks. (And then the Saints gave him a big raise anyway $%#&*????)

Reaction Score
You find one basketball announcer who when they announce the starting lineup says, "And now starting at wing . . ."

Reaction Score
When I was growing up my dad, my older brother and I used to listen to the Knicks on the radio, long before the N.B.A. was televised the way they are now. I'll always remember Marv Albert talking about the match up of "wings" Bill Bradley and Jack Marin as always being an interesting clash of perpetual motion players.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I know what wing means, thank you. Have you ever heard the term in men's basketball at any level? I never have. A wing is a player who plays to the left or right of the center in hockey. A wing is part of an airplane or what a bird uses to fly. Some teams use a three guard offense at times. The term wing should be excised from women's basketball. Traditionally you had a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward and a center. Traditions have changed, but I still don't like the term wing. How do you categorize LeBron James or Kevin Durant? Traditional descriptions no longer work, but I can't stand the term wing.

You asked the question, I answered.

I think it is a good word to describe players that play the 2 or 3 interchangeably. LeBron is forward. He can play the 3 or 4. Durant is a pure 3, imo. Jimmy Butler is a wing, a 2 or 3.

I agree that it is equivalent to "swingman" swingwoman? swingperson?

Reaction Score
It's funny that you think wing (in basketball) is a only a term for girls basketball...
I think he's referring to how often that term is used in men's basketball versus how often it's used in women's basketball. I agree that you rarely hear it discussed anymore in men's basketball but it's still used somewhat frequently in the women's game. My impression of a wing player is someone who has the size to play shooting guard or small forward, a "tweener" type player. I'm not sure there is an exacting description of the term and it's definition varies from person to person.

Reaction Score
I read the first item listed above (basketballhq.com/5-things-every-basketball-wing-player-know and it struck me as being one persons version of a "wing player". There was nothing in it that I read that suggested that it was written in stone as the law of the land, just his interpretation and in reality, there may not be a definitive description. It really isn't a big deal, anyway! You could have a few guys at a bar discussing this until they're turning blue and probably never have a consensus. Does it really matter????

Reaction Score
It isn't important, Buzzyboy, but it is kind of fascinating and fun. :p

Many words go through definition shifts over time. It's not so much a question of finding the definition that trumps all others, but trying to figure out if there's a trend with one definition gaining precedence over another.

Even if we limit ourselves to the Boneyard, we find: 1. The term "wing" is used frequently in the Men's BB board. (see http://the-boneyard.com/search/14082095/?q=wing&o=date&c[node]=3+18+34) 2. A majority of those uses refer to a wing as a classification for a player, rather than a reference to play on the "wings" of the court. 3. The men's board's average age of poster is considerably younger than the women's board, suggesting the term is here to stay.

We can say with fairly robust certainty that this alternate definition didn't come from women's basketball - terminology and cultural trends in basketball move from men's to women's basketball, not the other way around. Furthermore, it's not difficult to imagine how "swingman" might turn into "wing" over time. Even in basketball there's a more extreme example: the shortening of "jump shot" to "J."

Reaction Score
Man, as a coach, that is something we all drool over. Having that much height, with talent, is scary good. I can't wait until the season starts.

Reaction Score
CLE802A, were you referring to UConn or USC? As much as UConn doesn't always have traditional positions, Breanna, Natalie and Katie Lou don't play the same position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom