6 "Major Bowls" plus a championship game | The Boneyard

6 "Major Bowls" plus a championship game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well so much for the Big12 raiding the ACC delusions of the WVCC folks. Even the Doofus is tweeting that no ACC teams are going anywhere.

Plenty of landing places for the champs and runners-up of the five major conferences in such a bowl set-up.

Even some limited opportunity for teams from the other lesser conferences meaning no anti-trust worries.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think this is positive news. Adding two bowls means plenty of landing places for the conference champions of the six major conferences, as well as the second place teams from the SEC, Big12, Big10, and Pac12 (which is the way they want it to go, I think). I would also really like it if the Cotton and the Gator are the ones chosen to join, since one is in Texas and the other is in Florida. The NBE has two teams in each locale, and if SMU/UH or USF/UCF finished 11-1, they would have a good chance to land there (assuming the bowl tie-ins work out) or maybe still with the Orange Bowl.

Reaction Score
Well so much for the Big12 raiding the ACC delusions of the WVCC folks. Even the Doofus is tweeting that no ACC teams are going anywhere.

Plenty of landing places for the champs and runners-up of the five major conferences in such a bowl set-up.

Even some limited opportunity for teams from the other lesser conferences meaning no anti-trust worries.

When UCONN capitalizes on the "limited opportunity" we'll be partying in the Boneyard. What team do you root for?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i pray that the added bowl would be giants stadium type deal

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The networks and the BCS would be stupid to sign a long term deal on a structure that has some serious issues. If the Top 4 teams are pulled out of the mix, the BCS bowls are going to be giving tickets away to fill the stadium, and the schools will be getting hammered on 20k ticket guarantees. Schools will be crying uncle after two years, and will be demanding an 8 or 16 team playoff.

Interest is fading for the non-championship games as it is, imagine how it will crater once there is a playoff.

Reaction Score
Having a Major Bowl guarantee for the BE winner would make me feel a lot better about the NBE.

Reaction Score
i pray that the added bowl would be giants stadium type deal

I dont see the southern schools signing up for a championship game in winter conditions. They hold the cards. I could see a Ga Dome, etc

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
'Major' bowl = desirable opponent in a desirable location, i.e. warm and fun, on or about NYD.

Playing the 3rd place P12 team in Indianapolis on Dec 28th won't cut it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

Tuesday's decision possibly could squeeze the Big East out of the postseason, as its champion is no longer guaranteed a spot in one of the six major bowls. The "automatic qualifiers" label also will disappear in the new system and those programs will have no guaranteed access to the new structure. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby called it an "open marketplace for all schools."

That does not sound too good.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-team-college-football-playoff-beginning-2014

Tuesday's decision possibly could squeeze the Big East out of the postseason, as its champion is no longer guaranteed a spot in one of the six major bowls. The "automatic qualifiers" label also will disappear in the new system and those programs will have no guaranteed access to the new structure. Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby called it an "open marketplace for all schools."

That does not sound too good.

Consider the source, the mission to destroy continues. Unless there is wording in the contract that says the selection committee must exclude Big East teams from consideration for the 4 team playoff we are included.

"6 Major Bowls" The big secret is that only two per year will matter, the rest will be rendered more meaningless than ever, which is saying something.

You mean we won't have an AQ to a meaningless "Major Bowl" so we can lose another 3 million like we lost at the Fiesta? Oh the tragedy!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Consider the source, the mission to destroy continues. Unless there is wording in the contract that says the selection committee must exclude Big East teams from consideration for the 4 team playoff we are included.

"6 Major Bowls" The big secret is that only two per year will matter, the rest will be rendered more meaningless than ever, which is saying something.

You mean we won't have an AQ to a meaningless "Major Bowl" so we can lose another 3 million like we lost at the Fiesta? Oh the tragedy!

You can keep claiming that it's all ESPN's doing with the 5 major conference thing but the reality is that with the elimination of the AQ, the Big East holds zero power anymore. They are clumped right back in with the MWC, C-USA of the world. Not saying we;re on the same competitive level, but in the eyes of the big boys, we don't matter. I've now seen the reference to 5 power conferences on 4-5 major sites. I think it's a clear consensus that the Big East no longer matters like it did when AQ status existed.

Here's an interesting article about the length of the contract for this new playoff:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1198219.html

I found this to be most interesting and disturbing for the Big East.

"The selection committee will choose not just the four playoff teams, but the matchups for the six bundled bowl games that will be part of this larger plan. This is fabulous news for fans of the sport, because it means that top-tier bowl matchups will finally exist with fewer conference-forced constraints. The tie-ins and lock-ins that existed in the BCS era – and to a lesser extent in the pre-Bowl Alliance era – suffocated the sport by limiting the options of bowl committees."

There's not a shot anyone in the NBE moves the needle enough to make this committee want to pit them in one of the big time bowls unless they go undefeated or lose one game and beat one or two powerhouse teams along the way.....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You can keep claiming that it's all ESPN's doing with the 5 major conference thing but the reality is that with the elimination of the AQ, the Big East holds zero power anymore. They are clumped right back in with the MWC, C-USA of the world. Not saying we;re on the same competitive level, but in the eyes of the big boys, we don't matter. I've now seen the reference to 5 power conferences on 4-5 major sites. I think it's a clear consensus that the Big East no longer matters like it did when AQ status existed.

Here's an interesting article about the length of the contract for this new playoff:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1198219.html

"The selection committee will choose not just the four playoff teams, but the matchups for the six bundled bowl games that will be part of this larger plan. This is fabulous news for fans of the sport, because it means that top-tier bowl matchups will finally exist with fewer conference-forced constraints. The tie-ins and lock-ins that existed in the BCS era – and to a lesser extent in the pre-Bowl Alliance era – suffocated the sport by limiting the options of bowl committees."

There's not a shot anyone in the NBE moves the needle enough to make this committee want to pit them in one of the big time bowls unless they go undefeated or lose one game and beat one or two powerhouse teams along the way.....

WRONG.

The current system is 99% based on fan support and conference affiliation, which punishes the Big East. The committee is more likely to pick the best teams instead of creating absurd matchups like Michigan vs. Virginia Tech, two mediocre teams that only got the game because one of the teams was Michigan, and the Big 10 wanted a matchup it could win. THAT outcome is less likely. Another outcome that is less likely is 2010's matchups of Oklahoma/UConn and Stanford/Virginia Tech, which resulted in two very predictable blowouts. UConn probably wouldn't get invited under the new system, but we really didn't deserve an invitation anyway.

On the other hand, in a year like 2006 or 2007, when the Big East was very strong, the league would have a much better chance of getting two teams into major bowls.

If the Big East sucks, they don't deserve a bowl bid.

pj

Reaction Score

So the committee is basically charged with picking the top 12 teams. That's enough teams that the Big East will have a realistic shot at getting a team in most years. Boise State, Houston, and Cincinatti would all have made it in recent years.

I don't know why all the whining today. Football wise the playing field isn't all that unlevel. Money-wise the field is tilted, but the players will get a chance to make a statement on the field. If we build up the kind of fan support that men's and women's basketball has, then the football team will become attractive to big conferences.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So the committee is basically charged with picking the top 12 teams. That's enough teams that the Big East will have a realistic shot at getting a team in most years. Boise State, Houston, and Cincinatti would all have made it in recent years.

I don't know why all the whining today. Football wise the playing field isn't all that unlevel. Money-wise the field is tilted, but the players will get a chance to make a statement on the field. If we build up the kind of fan support that men's and women's basketball has, then the football team will become attractive to big conferences.

I don't get it either. The old BCS system determined bowls almost entirely based on the size of a team's fanbase. That was a metric in which UConn could NEVER compete. Now, every team has a shot.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I think it's because there's no more automatic qualifier causing the big bowls to have to take a Big East team. With this new committee it seems more likely that they'll just chose the teams that they think will draw the most money. Usually these teams will be found in the top 15 in the polls. Am I saying a Big East team will not be invited, no. However, it's getting harder and harder to get into the big money bowls.

In the end, there are a lot of questions still to be answered. Will there still be bowl tie-ins? How will the money be split? What is the criteria that the committee will use to determine who makes it into these bowls? Until that is determined and explained, I think Big East fans have a lot to worry about. The door is closing more and more....sorry if some people want to believe otherwise but it's becoming more evident by the day.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Thee only hope the BE has for a seat at the table in most years is what? That a team goes undefeated?

Otherwise the BE will never see a slot at the Orange Bowl, Rose, Fiesta, or Cotton. The Citrus/CapitalOne and Jerry Jones bowl won't be calling either. When the Final line up is announced it will be 12 slots locked up by everyone but the BE and ND unless the bowl can choose ND over the BE Champ in every other year.

Even that's dicey. The 8 divisional champs from the Power 4 and the ACC champe have 9 guaranteed slots with the BE competing against the 3rd place teams from the B12, BiG, PAC and SEC for a slot--and FSU or Miami here and there as the 2nd best ACC team.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Major bowls not in the playoff will pick the usual suspects. Now there is a potential that there will be fewer 'desirable' bowls for potential BE tie-ins.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The only good news is a Houston or SMU champ might get into one of the two Texas Bowls as a novelty and the Texas teams, well, they like SMUs history.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Tie-in bowl cities I'd like to see for the NNBE in no particular order:

New BCS bowls, naturally
2nd bowl game in Miami
Russell Athletic Bowl
2nd bowl game in New Orleans
St. Pete Bowl
Liberty Bowl
Pinstripe Bowl
Any bowl game in Dallas or Houston
Las Vegas Bowl
Holiday Bowl
if all else fails I'd accept a game in DC.

Opponents have to be from the other 5 BCS conferences, except maybe the bottom three bowls

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't get it either. The old BCS system determined bowls almost entirely based on the size of a team's fanbase. That was a metric in which UConn could NEVER compete. Now, every team has a shot.

Seems like the same exact thing is going to happen.

It's still all about money and this so called 'committee' is going to pick #11 Virginia Tech vs. #13 Michigan over #6 Boise State ( or insert any NNBE team) every single time.

At least before the Big East was guaranteed no matter what to get BCS money ($20M?) and play in a 'BCS' Bowl.

Unless a Big East team goes undefeated they aren't playing in any of these games. That's just the reality of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom