5 Best Coaches this millenium besides Pat/Geno | The Boneyard

5 Best Coaches this millenium besides Pat/Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Kind of a random thread....curious to see what other fans thoughts are on this. Outside of Pat/Geno, who have been the top 5 coaches in the last 15 years?
My list:
Muffett McGraw-No brainer here. 4 title game appearances, 5 Final Fours and outside of Tennessee during the post Taurasi era, Notre Dame has been the only squad to find consistent success against Connecticut for a stretch of time (2011-2013). Her 2001 title team is one of the more underrated championship teams, and she has been one of the best coaches at developing player talent.

Gail Goestenkors-No titles and her career went south in 2007 once she left for Austin, but Duke was a force to be reckoned with from 1999-2007. 2 title game appearances, 4 Final Fours, always a top 2 seed. I think she would've done a much better job with the program had she stayed compared to what McCallie has accomplished. Despite her "deer in the headlights" look, Gail was a great recruiter at Duke and built that program into a powerhouse. I believe she would have eventually won a title had she stayed at Durham.

Tara Vanderveer-Another no brainer. 6 Final Fours with 2 title game appearances. No championships, but from 2005-2014 she built dominant, consistent teams that usually did pretty well in March. I think her performance this decade highlights the importance of recruiting. When she has had great recruits, a la the Ogwumikes, Wiggins, Appel, Pederson, etc, her teams have been consistent championship threats. When she hasn't had that talent (ex. early 2000s, this year), her teams haven't been able to keep pace.

Kim Mulkey-I'm a bit reluctant to put her on here, since I think her teams sorely underperformed during the Griner era, and she doesn't have any overperforming seasons outside of 2005 (and this season so far), but 2 Championships, 3 Final Fours and a boatload of Sweet 16s and Elite 8 appearances earn her a nod here. Baylor was dominant from 2011-2013, but her teams didn't show up in important games during the NCAA tournament in 2011 and 2013. And with a talents like Griner and Sims, she should have made more than 1 Final Four during their three years together.

Sherri Coale-She's my last pick for this list. She hasn't won a title but she has consistently been able to field good teams. Her 2002 squad would've won a championship in many seasons, she found success when stock piled talent with the Paris Twins, Robinson and Amanda Thompson, and she hasn't missed an NCAA tournament since 2000. She has 9 Sweet 16s in that span, 3 Final Fours and 4 Big 12 titles to her credit.

Just missed:
Brenda Frese-Statistically she should be on this list when you consider wins/losses, winning percentage and NCAA tournament production, but she consistently is outcoached and her teams are underprepared. I also think much of her success in 2006 can be contributed to Jeff Walz, and Maryland had more than enough talent to make the Final Four in 2007, 2008 and 2009 but never came through.

Jeff Walz-I think he's one of the best 5 coaches in the country in terms of coming up with an executing a game plan. He has had some success in the NCAA tournament with 2 Runner Up seasons, but he's never won a conference championship or received a top seed in the NCAAs. He's good at fielding Cinderella teams, but hasn't been able to build a dominant team. Louisville is a program on the rise, though, with their strong freshman class this year and Durr coming in next season.

Gary Blair-He is a good coach that consistent fields competitive teams. Happy for him that he took home the 2011 title, but that was a year when the NCAA tournament could have been played 4 times and you'd field 4 different winners. No other Final Four appearances this decade, no #1 seeds but builds consistently good teams.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty good list but I don't think GG belongs. Mostly because she bombed after she left Duke so she started well but ...
I think I would replace GG with Walz

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pretty good list but I don't think GG belongs. Mostly because she bombed after she left Duke so she started well but ...
I think I would replace GG with Walz
Nah, Gail had some external issues that hampered her in Texas. I'm not sure if she is top 5, but Waltz I really think is more future top 5 material at this point, rather then there yet.

As much as I dislike Brenda, her accomplishments are undeniable. Gary Blair is a really good coach, and I recognize there are not truly a lot of them, but he is not unusually outstanding, really except for the championship. I struggle with Sherri Coale, her over all record isn't that great, but yet she puts a consistently good product on the floor.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Reaction Score
1- Muffet
2- Tara
3- Walz
4- Blair
5- (tie) S.Cole / A. Landers

Both Shari and Andy have consistently good,competitive teams while rarely getting recruits that are
"difference makers".

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley should be considered. Small colleges? Brian Giorgis, Marist college. 314-93.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
In the second five: Lisa Bluder, Iowa. Recruits well, solid coach, unfortunately, Iowa has "big stage" issues. Though, they did get a nice OT win against a good Nebraska team last night.

Reaction Score
I'm inclined toward Dawn, but she hasn't proven anything yet. Surely I'd like to be able to bump Brenda from my list to add her.
The year before Dawn Staley took over Temple, they were 10-18. They hadn't had a winning season since 1990. While still a WNBA player for most of her coaching career at Temple, in eight years, she took them to 6 NCAA tournaments, 4 A10 championships, two second rounds, and a WNIT.

Having more or less hit the ceiling of what you could do at a team of Temple's stature in the A10, she did the same thing at South Carolina, a team also in the middle of a long downswing. The last time that South Carolina had had a winning record in the SEC was 2003. Within 3 years, Staley had gotten her team to the second round of the WNIT, and within 4 to the second weekend of the the NCAAs. She's had four straight 25 seasons, and is about to have gotten her team it's second consecutive #1 seed.

If that's your definition of someone who hasn't proven anything yet, I'd be ecstatic to hear about a few coaches who have consistently done more with less.

Reaction Score
The year before Dawn Staley took over Temple, they were 10-18. They hadn't had a winning season since 1990. While still a WNBA player for most of her coaching career at Temple, in eight years, she took them to 6 NCAA tournaments, 4 A10 championships, two second rounds, and a WNIT.

Having more or less hit the ceiling of what you could do at a team of Temple's stature in the A10, she did the same thing at South Carolina, a team also in the middle of a long downswing. The last time that South Carolina had had a winning record in the SEC was 2003. Within 3 years, Staley had gotten her team to the second round of the WNIT, and within 4 to the second weekend of the the NCAAs. She's had four straight 25 seasons, and is about to have gotten her team it's second consecutive #1 seed.

If that's your definition of someone who hasn't proven anything yet, I'd be ecstatic to hear about a few coaches who have consistently done more with less.

Ha! Good points, especially about doing more with less. I guess I'm talking about doing more with more, as the rest of my list would suggest.

I'm a huge fan of Dawn. In fact, one time right on this board I was in such a hurry to praise Dawn that utterly without thinking I inadvertently stepped on someone else, for which I was rightly called out. The point being, I hold Dawn Staley in the highest esteem, frequently I see statements made hereabouts to which I have now learned to hold my tongue. If UConn can't win the NC, which of course I hope they do, my second choice would be Dawn's Gamecocks. I'm a fan. I want her to be able to say she's done more with more.

Reaction Score
Ha! Good points, especially about doing more with less. I guess I'm talking about doing more with more, as the rest of my list would suggest.

I'm a huge fan of Dawn. In fact, one time right on this board I was in such a hurry to praise Dawn that utterly without thinking I inadvertently stepped on someone else, for which I was rightly called out. The point being, I hold Dawn Staley in the highest esteem, frequently I see statements made hereabouts to which I have now learned to hold my tongue. If UConn can't win the NC, which of course I hope they do, my second choice would be Dawn's Gamecocks. I'm a fan. I want her to be able to say she's done more with more.
I'm not actually a huge fan of Dawn Staley, but I don't think it's fully accurate to say the rest of your list fully reflects coaches who have done more with more. As pointed out earlier, Walz has never won a conference championship (tournament or regular season) or had a #1 seed. Staley did all three last year, and is poised to do it again this year. What I'm really trying to get at here is that I think that tournament success is overemphasized in these conversations, and regular season success is undervalued.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not actually a huge fan of Dawn Staley, but I don't think it's fully accurate to say the rest of your list fully reflects coaches who have done more with more. As pointed out earlier, Walz has never won a conference championship (tournament or regular season) or had a #1 seed. Staley did all three last year, and is poised to do it again this year. What I'm really trying to get at here is that I think that tournament success is overemphasized in these conversations, and regular season success is undervalued.

I wouldn't hold that against Walz - He had a few big obstacles in his way in his previous conference named UCONN and Notre Dame. Despite the SEC propaganda, the Big East was the premier WCBB conference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Kay Yow
No.

Like Gary Blair. Like Sherri Coale. In my opinion like Andy Landers. And others. Heck, I'm not even putting Vivian out there, although she was very successful for much of the time period, but if you want to put it that way, she didn't do "more" with "more".

Kay was a very good coach, a wonderful person (we met her the day the Kay Yow Fund was announced at the Jimmy V game at Rutgers) and deserving of her double Hall of Fame membership. But per the OP's and others criteria, doesn't fit the bill for this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom