4th of July Movies | The Boneyard

4th of July Movies

Reaction Score
I've been posting a list for several years. This list is the previous list as best as I remember.
1. Drums Along the Mohawk-early Technicolor, John Ford story set on the Western frontier during the Revolutionary War, The West was Western New York. This is a personal favorite for over 60 years.

2. The Grapes of Wrath: John Ford's adaptation of Steinbeck's book, IMO one of the truly great American
films. It follows the Joad family from Oklahoma to California as they leave the Dust Bowl to look for a
better life.

3. Glory- The story of an all Black regiment in the Civil War, the officers were white the NCO's and enlisted
men all Black. Denzel Washington won an Academy Award .

4. The Longest Day- Derryl Zanuck's adaptation of Cornelius Ryan's book. This is D-day with thousands of extras and a galaxy of stars. It is told from multiple points of view. If you are a history buff; it is well worth
buying the two disc version.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy- George M. Cohan biopic starring Jimmy Cagney. Cohan composed Yankee Doodle
Dandy, Give My Regards to Broadway and many more.

6. Moscow on the Hudson- It stars Robin Williams as a sax playing Russian who defects from the Moscow Circus in Bloomingdales. Funny and touching it uses a variety of melting pot characters to attempt to define
what being an American is all about.

7. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington: Frank Capra and Jimmy Stewart combine in a stirring film set in the
U.S. Senate with Stewart mounting a one man fillabuster to expose corruption.

8. October Sky- This is a true story about a group of WV high school boys who build a rocket to enter in
a National Science Fair.

9. Field of Dreams-"If you build it, they will come." Great cast does justice to this fantasy of old time baseball
players appearing in a corn field in Iowa.

I'm sure that the first six were in last year's list, but all nine are worthy of repeated viewings. I will follow
with a new list specially chosen for this ear.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I nominate 1776. I liked it as a kid. And the line, "New York abstains...courteously" has always stuck with me.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
What's the connection to the 4th? Or do you just like to watch these movies on the 4th? The reason I ask is because Glory is set during the Civil War and I don't remember anything revolving around the 4th in Field of Dreams.

Besides the ever snarky, "I'd rather be outside by a grill or in a pool on the 4th and not in a dark basement watching movies," here are some suggestions to add to the above. The only criteria is that they are watchable and at least minimally 4th of July related.

In no particular order...

Born on the 4th of July (rain date only. Far too long if it's nice out).
Independence Day (who's against Will Smith punching out an alien, a President who can do barrel rolls, and a crop duster saving the planet?)
Sandlot (4th of July is their only night game of the year)
The Patriot (Set at the beginning of the Revolutionary War)
Live Free or Die Hard (Set on 4th of July Weekend)
Blown Away (Final Scene involved the Boston Pops' annual 4th of July performance of the 1812 Overture at the Hatch Shell)
Johnny Tremain (This is only on the list because it was probably the first novel I ever read. Set at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. There is a scene involving the Boston Tea Party)
National Treasure (Nic Cage steals the Declaration of Independence, Everyone outside of Philadelphia learns the names of the guys who cast the Liberty Bell, Everyone outside Boston learns that 2 lamps were hung in the Olde North Church, and everyone who didn't see Dazed and Confused learns that there's some funky goin' on on the $1 bill).
Jaws (Mayor of Amity is worried that if news of a great white shark gets out, it will kill the Islands' economy leading into the 4th of July).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's the connection to the 4th? Or do you just like to watch these movies on the 4th? The reason I ask is because Glory is set during the Civil War and I don't remember anything revolving around the 4th in Field of Dreams.

Besides the ever snarky, "I'd rather be outside by a grill or in a pool on the 4th and not in a dark basement watching movies," here are some suggestions to add to the above. The only criteria is that they are watchable and at least minimally 4th of July related.

Independence Day (who's against Will Smith punching out an alien, a President who can do barrel rolls, and a crop duster saving the planet?)
Blown Away (Final Scene involved the Boston Pops' annual 4th of July performance of the 1812 Overture at the Hatch Shell)
Johnny Tremain (This is only on the list because it was probably the first novel I ever read. Set at the beginning of the Revolutionary War. There is a scene involving the Boston Tea Party)
National Treasure (Nic Cage steals the Declaration of Independence, Everyone outside of Philadelphia learns the names of the guys who cast the Liberty Bell, Everyone outside Boston learns that 2 lamps were hung in the Olde North Church, and everyone who didn't see Dazed and Confused learns that there's some funky goin' on on the $1 bill).
Jaws (Mayor of Amity is worried that if news of a great white shark gets out, it will kill the Islands' economy leading into the 4th of July).
I remember watch Johnny Tremain on Disney's show. I think it was on Saturday night. I liked it as a kid. The Patriot is great choice. That said, it's not really a movie holiday. I'll be watching fireworks before having a few adult beverages with friends around a bond fire.

Husky25

Reaction Score
No it's not a good movie holiday, unless it is raining. Even then, so long as it is hot and the rain is more or less a drizzle/mist, I'd rather be playing lawn volleyball or in the pool. The 4th is one of the holidays where you can start on the adult bevvies first thing in the morning and no one will think anything about it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. Classic scene from a classic childhood movie for me.

Reaction Score

I think of the 4th of July as a day to reflect on what it means to be an American. For an example. Glory deals with one of the central American problems, slavery/discrimination. The movie is also about sacrifice, individual and as a group. The Civil War represents
the greatest sacrifice of human life in our history. October Sky is a coming of age story, and it also focuses on what can be achieved by
a determined individual. Field of Dreams explicitly about the father and son bond, but also belief in the face of obstacles. Baseball is the vehicle to move the story, which also involves self sacrifice. We like to think we might aspire to these virtues. The Grapes of Wrath is a
cautionary story. The movie has a more hopeful ending than the book. I could go through each of these films in a similar fashion, and at
much greater length, but I hope that this will provide some insight into my choices.

Reaction Score
Yankee Doodle Dandy is a great movie with an amazing James Cagney singing and dancing (and what dancing!) his way to an Oscar, and with an excellent supporting role for Walter Huston. Great to watch at anytime of year, but my wife especially looks for it around the 4th of July. Same thing with The Longest Day. Along with all the historical view points on display, it is also extremely entertaining with so many big name stars in it.

As long as it was mentioned, in my book Field of Dreams is one of the two best baseball movies ever made. Bull Durham is the other one. And no, I'm not a big fan of Kevin Costner, but he is fine in both.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think of the 4th of July as a day to reflect on what it means to be an American. For an example. Glory deals with one of the central American problems, slavery/discrimination. The movie is also about sacrifice, individual and as a group. The Civil War represents
the greatest sacrifice of human life in our history. October Sky is a coming of age story, and it also focuses on what can be achieved by
a determined individual. Field of Dreams explicitly about the father and son bond, but also belief in the face of obstacles. Baseball is the vehicle to move the story, which also involves self sacrifice. We like to think we might aspire to these virtues. The Grapes of Wrath is a
cautionary story. The movie has a more hopeful ending than the book. I could go through each of these films in a similar fashion, and at
much greater length, but I hope that this will provide some insight into my choices.
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree (only partially, but still...), but I understand your point and it is certainly valid.

My view is that we have so many holidays where the appropriate thing (Some may call it the politically correct thing) to do is reflect. We are supposed to pay homage to the military on Veterans Day and Memorial Day and rightfully so. If some didn't give all, we may very well be speaking German right now instead of merely a Germanic language. At Thanksgiving we pay homage to the brotherhood of two conflicting societies in that they could come together and learn from each other ways to advance their own way of life. Even at New Years, an argument can be made that one needs to reflect on the past 365 days. Yes, celebrate what went well, but also recognize what wasn't 100% on point and formulate how to approach similar future situation.

At some point there needs to be a holiday that is just a holiday. A celebration. Yes, the Fore Fathers were traitors to the English Crown. They would have hanged if they'd lost (and for quite some time, they were indeed losing), but they didn't and that should be celebrated.

So I say play Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American. Play America the Beautiful - which incidentally, I think should be our National Anthem. Musically, it blows The Star Spangled Banner away. Play it loud. Then go out and play whiffle ball, have a catch with your kid, drink a (multitude of) Sam Summer(s), and eat a corn on the cob and piece of apple pie...It's time to celebrate!!!!

On a separate, but related, note...Have you ever watched a naturalized citizen (read: former immigrant) celebrate the 4th of July? One of my best friends and his family are naturalized. I didn't think of it until I read your reflection comment, but the dichotomy of reflection and celebration is almost mind boggling when you see it and really think about it.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I respectfully disagree (only partially, but still...), but I understand your point and it is certainly valid.

My view is that we have so many holidays where the appropriate thing (Some may call it the politically correct thing) to do is reflect. We are supposed to pay homage to the military on Veterans Day and Memorial Day and rightfully so. If some didn't give all, we may very well be speaking German right now instead of merely a Germanic language. At Thanksgiving we pay homage to the brotherhood of two conflicting societies in that they could come together and learn from each other ways to advance their own way of life. Even at New Years, an argument can be made that one needs to reflect on the past 365 days. Yes, celebrate what went well, but also recognize what wasn't 100% on point and formulate how to approach similar future situation.

At some point there needs to be a holiday that is just a holiday. A celebration. Yes, the Fore Fathers were traitors to the English Crown. They would have hanged if they'd lost (and for quite some time, they were indeed losing), but they didn't and that should be celebrated.

So I say play Lee Greenwood's Proud to be an American. Play America the Beautiful - which incidentally, I think should be our National Anthem. Musically, it blows The Star Spangled Banner away. Play it loud. Then go out and play whiffle ball, have a catch with your kid, drink a (multitude of) Sam Summer(s), and eat a corn on the cob and piece of apple pie...It's time to celebrate!!!!

On a separate, but related, note...Have you ever watched a naturalized citizen (read: former immigrant) celebrate the 4th of July? One of my best friends and his family are naturalized. I didn't think of it until I read your reflection comment, but the dichotomy of reflection and celebration is almost mind boggling when you see it and really think about it.

I think a good movie can help you celebrate in the sense it makes you feel good. I've been to two naturalization ceremonies (not for myself); they are incredibly moving. I think the 4th is the quintessential American holiday; it is the "City upon a hill..." day; Lady Liberty's lamp day; Ellis Island and Bunker Hill; the Wright Brothers and Frank Capra; Jackie Robinson and Jonas Salk. It is also the Tail of Tears and Pearl Harbor. I think a good movie can help you reflect. I have tried to choose movies which are distinctively American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom