30-Second Shot Clock | The Boneyard

30-Second Shot Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Doesn't sound like much, but a 14% decrease in time should actually have a decent effect on scoring. I think the goal should be to at least cut down on the pounding of the ball at the top of the arc when your team has the lead.

In Shabazz's sophomore season, 75% of our time with the ball was devoted to Shabazz just standing on the perimeter dribbling in place. Boring as hell.

Reaction Score
It's a good change, but they should also move the three point line back and make a concerted effort to increase what Bilas is calling "freedom of movement" on offense. It's difficult to run aesthetically pleasing sets on offense when a guy running off a screen gets tagged by 4 guys moving from one side of the court to the other, and you can body guys taking the ball off the dribble.

Reaction Score
about time, would have liked a 24 but this is a start
I'd prefer this too, but I'm fine with it being 30 seconds. Having 5 less seconds to set up - and reset - an offense is a much bigger change than most fans realize.

But defensive 3 seconds really should be added to the college game. Players are so freakin' athletic these days, but that athleticism is largely negated when a 6'10+ foot centers are allowed to park themselves in the paint. Defensive 3 seconds is a great rule that a) forces people to play defense, thus eliminating many flop attempts, and b) adds a lot more space for talented offensive players to operate. (It would also be another crushing blow to Syracuse, which is an added bonus.)

There should also be one fewer TV timeout per half, but that will never happen for obvious reasons.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I think 28 seconds is the perfect sweet spot.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer this too, but I'm fine with it being 30 seconds. Having 5 less seconds to set up - and reset - an offense is a much bigger change than most fans realize.

But defensive 3 seconds really should be added to the college game. Players are so freakin' athletic these days, but that athleticism is largely negated when a 6'10+ foot centers are allowed to park themselves in the paint. Defensive 3 seconds is a great rule that a) forces people to play defense, thus eliminating many flop attempts, and b) adds a lot more space for talented offensive players to operate. (It would also be another crushing blow to Syracuse, which is an added bonus.)

There should also be one fewer TV timeout per half, but that will never happen for obvious reasons.
I cant endorse defensive 3 seconds for the sole purpose the zone keeps Syracuse irrelevant in march.

Reaction Score
It's a good change, but they should also move the three point line back and make a concerted effort to increase what Bilas is calling "freedom of movement" on offense. It's difficult to run aesthetically pleasing sets on offense when a guy running off a screen gets tagged by 4 guys moving from one side of the court to the other, and you can body guys taking the ball off the dribble.

Other than going to four quarters, I agreed with all of his ideas.

caw

Reaction Score
I cant endorse defensive 3 seconds for the sole purpose the zone keeps Syracuse irrelevant in march.

The shorter shot clocks will play into more teams playing zone.

Reaction Score
Super excited for College Hoops execs being able to take the time saved on the shot clock and use it for more gripping Bounty Advertisements.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Super excited for College Hoops execs being able to take the time saved on the shot clock and use it for more gripping Bounty Advertisements.

You do realize that shortening the time clock doesn't create more commercial timeouts, don't you?

Reaction Score

I think they do a good enough job of that on their own.

The 30 second shot clock is a good start, but they need to officiate the game in a manner that favors movement and fluidity. The "freedom of movement" point of emphasis from a few years ago just resulted in a series of stupid hand-checking foul calls 30 feet from the hoop, but failed to address contact at the rim and block/charge idiocy.

Reaction Score
Without giving it much thought, a change I've always thought would make sense would be to eliminate the charge call after the offensive player has left his feet or after the ball has left his hands. I can't stand when a guard makes a nice pass to a big and then someone slides in front of the guard after the ball has left his hands.

Reaction Score
They need to fix the college game. I find myself watching less and less cbb every year that passes.

Reaction Score
You do realize that shortening the time clock doesn't create more commercial timeouts, don't you?

For now it doesn't, no. Doesn't create commercial time outs in baseball either, but you know...

Reaction Score
Without giving it much thought, a change I've always thought would make sense would be to eliminate the charge call after the offensive player has left his feet or after the ball has left his hands. I can't stand when a guard makes a nice pass to a big and then someone slides in front of the guard after the ball has left his hands.

When a guy makes a great pass or the player is already floating to the basket. A referee sucks to make that call anyway as this is the one time a defender can slide in after the offensive player has committed and it's the wrong call. If the defender is not square when he leaves his feet but slides in it's an awful call if they do indeed call the charge. Agree totally on this.

Reaction Score
For now it doesn't, no. Doesn't create commercial time outs in baseball either, but you know...

You could have a 5 second shot clock and it wouldn't change the fact that there are still 40 minutes on the overall clock.

Reaction Score
Right and as much broadcast time as a TV network sees fit.

Clearly you're just going to keep replying to each comment with a different unrelated idea, so I think I'll just let you have at that.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Not until 2016-2017 I hope. Think of Phil.

Reaction Score
Clearly you're just going to keep replying to each comment with a different unrelated idea, so I think I'll just let you have at that.

You don't really need this explained, do you? Or have you just totally made an assumption based on what I originally said?

Reaction Score
Your original post was nonsensical, so yes, that is the impression you are going to have to dig your way out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom