30 Sec Shot Clock and KO's UConn? | The Boneyard

30 Sec Shot Clock and KO's UConn?

The 30 sec shot clock be _______ for UConn?

• Good

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • No real difference

Votes: 19 27.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had a lot of family time sitting around talking about UConn bball this wknd. Started thinking about the shot clock next yr--KO REALLY slowed the game down to a crawl in the NC yr. Even the Kemba yr, Calhoun had the team pound the ball a lot on the perimeter, keeping other teams from running. Wasting clock is a good strategy in the college game because of the poor jump shooters. Limiting total possessions is also a good way to beat "more talented" teams with smarts/experience (not that UConn wasn't VERY talented in Shabazz's sr yr), much like our Huskies did to Arizona ('11), MSU ('14), and UK (both yrs).

In tournament games, KO has his guys gang rebound on the defensive end, leading to few leak-outs. UConn fast breaks over the last couple of yrs, I would argue, are mostly off live-ball turnovers, especially in close games. Furthermore, his offense is very deliberate--KO seems comfortable having the guys he trusts pound the ball. Plus, teams constantly zone up against us, and both Calhoun and KO have seemed to prepare guys to be patient with zones, running clock and playing carefully against teams packing the paint. This slow pace in tournament games also helps UConn's defense, which has just been monstrous during the previous two runs. I particularly remember in the last NC yr, when we were low on quality bigs, Deandre and Niels being forced to double the post and bang with bigger guys, with KO even shouting defensive instructions DURING those interminable possessions.

One might even say that the '14 team would not have gone on their magical run if KO and Shabazz hadn't slowed the game down to a crawl.

How do you guys feel about this? Will we be fine w the 30-sec clock? Am I totally wrong and could this actually be GOOD for us? Will KO change his recruiting to target more jumpshooting (Gibbs is a great start) to counteract this? Curious about other views. Hope I'm wrong--quite frankly I must admit I voted for "Bad."

Reaction Score
It is 5 seconds, its really not that serious for all of this

Reaction Score
KO is in favor of a shorter shot clock. He feels it is necessary to keep the game entertaining to watch.

We weren't recruiting bad shooters, we were recruiting everyone and landing bad shooters. That has changed, all of the incoming guys, including Enoch, can shoot.

It won't hurt us at all. I'd argue that with a player like Jalen Adams for 2-3 years, it will be a big advantage for us. He is the dynamic type of player you need to make something out of nothing with a short clock. Shabazz would have been fine in that environment as well.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
One might even say that the '14 team would not have gone on their magical run if KO and Shabazz hadn't slowed the game down to a crawl.
I 100% agree with this. There's no way we win the title that year if we don't limit possessions and execute late in the clock.

However...

How do you guys feel about this? Will we be fine w the 30-sec clock? Am I totally wrong and could this actually be GOOD for us? Will KO change his recruiting to target more jumpshooting (Gibbs is a great start) to counteract this? Curious about other views. Hope I'm wrong--quite frankly I must admit I voted for "Bad."
I think you're jumping the gun by saying this is "bad." KO has changed up his recruiting by focusing on rebounders (Hamilton & Miller are both established elite defensive rebounders at their position in college; Enoch, given his age, size, length and production in NESPAC should join them this year; same for Diarra and hopefully Gabriel next year), which is key for any team with intent to run.

We played the way we did in 2014 out of necessity, and that huge, mid-season switch in philosophy is one of the strongest indicators that KO will be a great coach. Early in the year he talked about running, but we kept getting killed on the boards. So come early January he had the team stop all leak-outs and start rebounding with 5, then slowing the game down and relying on our expert back court and spreading the floor with 4 shooters. I can't find the math I did on this a while ago, but I believe our games were played at about a 15% slower pace in March than they had been in November and December.

It was really wonderful to watch that evolution. That group had such a small margin for error, and only one real way to win a title. KO found it, and - judging by who he's targeting - has learned from it.

I think he'll figure out, once again, how to make the clock an ally. Given the strength of DHam & Miller on the defensive boards, as well as Brimah's propensity for keeping blocked shots in-play, I suspect we'll see a lot more on the break this coming season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that if KO were to have them practice using a 24 second clock, it might help them run their offense faster.

Reaction Score
I don't see how it could be bad. It makes it a bit easier on defense not having to defend for 35 seconds. And on offense, if you're running good offense you can get a good shot in 30 seconds or less, and if you're running bad offense I don't want to watch it for 35 seconds.

Reaction Score
We have some playmakers this coming year 5 seconds left won't hurt with DHam, Rodney, Jalen and Sterling on your team.

caw

Reaction Score
KO is a guy who coaches in the mold of an NBA coach. If anything, he'll be more comfortable with the shorter shot clock.

Perhaps, I do think he has mentioned he prefers the shorter clock but in conjunction with rules against a zone, or limiting the zone. Or am I dreaming that?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
KO runs some NBA sets so you would think it wouldn't make a difference. But these are college kids who don't always know the NBA sets like the back of their hand, so it takes a few minutes to get the offense organized to run the sets. I think the shot clock change hurts us a bit, but I have no doubt that KO will adapt and get our PGs running the offense faster.

Reaction Score
I think cbb needs to change the rules a bit to make it a more NBA style of play with more scoring which will make the game more exciting. I have found myself watching less and less cbb over the last 5 or so years and id like that to change.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree with this. There's no way we win the title that year if we don't limit possessions and execute late in the clock.

However...

I think you're jumping the gun by saying this is "bad." KO has changed up his recruiting by focusing on rebounders (Hamilton & Miller are both established elite defensive rebounders at their position in college; Enoch, given his age, size, length and production in NESPAC should join them this year; same for Diarra and hopefully Gabriel next year), which is key for any team with intent to run.

We played the way we did in 2014 out of necessity, and that huge, mid-season switch in philosophy is one of the strongest indicators that KO will be a great coach. Early in the year he talked about running, but we kept getting killed on the boards. So come early January he had the team stop all leak-outs and start rebounding with 5, then slowing the game down and relying on our expert back court and spreading the floor with 4 shooters. I can't find the math I did on this a while ago, but I believe our games were played at about a 15% slower pace in March than they had been in November and December.

It was really wonderful to watch that evolution. That group had such a small margin for error, and only one real way to win a title. KO found it, and - judging by who he's targeting - has learned from it.

I think he'll figure out, once again, how to make the clock an ally. Given the strength of DHam & Miller on the defensive boards, as well as Brimah's propensity for keeping blocked shots in-play, I suspect we'll see a lot more on the break this coming season.

Great response...I'm off the ledge. Would love to see those numbers iff you happen to still have them--I missed them the first time around.

Reaction Score

However...

However...

Rebounding might have something to do with it, but I don't expect a big change. In three years with Ollie they've been either moderately below average in tempo or really below average. In fact, in 2013 when the rebounding problems were at their worst, UConn was 194th in tempo, which is the highest they've been in 3 years. I just think that's how Ollie wants to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom