25 Maps to Explain College Football | The Boneyard

25 Maps to Explain College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Someone has to say it. The 1869 Rutgers vs Princeton story is a complete fable.

Harvard vs McGill (x2) in 1874, Harvard vs Tufts in 1875, then Harvard vs Yale ( rivalry now referred to as "The Game") in 1875 was the beginning of gridiron football.

http://dl.tufts.edu/catalog/tei/tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001/chapter/F00006

Nice to see we have the third largest alumni base in NYC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Map #16 shows why the key B1G adds should remain UCONN and VPI. It would put a stranglehold on the 2 most important markets on the East Coast with nearly no way to mount a credible challenge.

pj

Reaction Score
Map #16 shows why the key B1G adds should remain UCONN and VPI. It would put a stranglehold on the 2 most important markets on the East Coast with nearly no way to mount a credible challenge.

Interesting that Penn State and Michigan are #4 and #5 in both DC and NY.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow ECU controls alotttt of NC.

That is funny.

It also highlights the absurdity of the "it's all about football and markets" drumbeat.

ESPN is paying about $75,000,000 a year for the North Carolina 'market' and it's largely marginal football scene. And then they'll pay about $1.4 to ECU for the rest of it.

Reaction Score
Map 18 - Most important, what is the beverage in CT? I've magnified but still can't make it out.

Reaction Score
ECU does have strong support in the eastern part if NC & solid support in the metro regions, but no one would say they control anything. UNC is both the most popular & hated school for both football & basketball.

Reaction Score
Map 18 - Most important, what is the beverage in CT? I've magnified but still can't make it out.
Willimantic Brewing Co.

I read each line in the comments of the original article until I found the reference and then double checked with brewery's website.

Reaction Score
Someone has to say it. The 1869 Rutgers vs Princeton story is a complete fable.

Harvard vs McGill (x2) in 1874, Harvard vs Tufts in 1875, then Harvard vs Yale ( rivalry now referred to as "The Game") in 1875 was the beginning of gridiron football.

http://dl.tufts.edu/catalog/tei/tufts:UA069.005.DO.00001/chapter/F00006

Nice to see we have the third largest alumni base in NYC.
Please don't put down the Rutgers /Princeton game .
It certainly wasn't anything resembling football but it certainly was a an intercollegiate game of modified Association Rules football ( the kicking game or soccer).
When I started coaching and establishing a soccer league in the 1970s. There was a lot of opposition from the football establishment ,accusing soccer of being somehow UN-American . I always used this game to show that soccer has a history in America deeper than Football.
Tufts ,Harvard,McGill, were predecessors of American football.
But in reality they were all playing variations of Rugby ( or the running game)
American football was born in Ct by a Connecticut man Walter Camp.
When he took the Contested rugby Scrum and replaced it with an uncontested line of scrimmage. There is clear possession of the ball. That is a huge departure .Also adding 4 downs ,with a first down available every ten yards.
The Gridiron was born. He also was its first PR guy ,his magazine articles created the football mythology which fueled its rapid expansion.Who else could conceive of an All-American

He created a uniquely American game and then popularized it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom