2017 top recruiting target | The Boneyard

2017 top recruiting target

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As everyone know KO has landed his top target each of the last 3 years. Who is our number one for 2017 and let's assume for arguments sake diallo stays in 2017. I would think it's still has to be the center and z. Brown but what does everyone else think. I hope we get brown,diallo, and waters but doesn't usually work out that way and waters seems less likely by the day.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I would say Jermaine Samuels is high on my wish list but it sounds like he wants to play in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Zach Brown or Japhet-Mathias.

If Diallo comes to UConn, I expect UConn to have very little traction with anything but a center.

PG is likely if it looks like Adams may leave after soph year.
SG+SF, not likely with Larrier and hopefully Diallo and Bailey around. If no Bailey, gonna need another wing/big guard.
PF, this is where I see little possibility at all, not with Facey as senior, Enoch and Diarra. Sure, they are going to backup Brimah at center too, but this is too much to ask.

So, look at the center position. Both Brown and Japhet-Mathias might do well to consider that at UConn, they will be stepping into a situation with a lot of playing time, and a lot of experienced talent already on the floor. In other words, they will be anchoring teams that will compete at the highest levels.

Last edited:

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
16-17 Roster:
G: Purvis (SR), Cassell (SR), Adams (SO), Gilbert (FR)
W: Hamilton (JR), Larrier (SO),
F/C: Brimah (SR), Facey (SR), Enoch (SO), Diarra (FR)

Hamilton won't make it past his Junior year, and you're losing two guards and two forwards. Assuming the 16 class fills out with a 2-guard, a wing, and a stretch 4 (for example, Diallo, Bailey, and Gabriel) then your returning roster for 17-18 looks as follows...

G: Adams (JR), Gilbert (SO)
W: Larrier (JR), Diallo (SO), Bailey (SO)
F/C: Enoch (JR), Diarra (SO), Gabriel (SO)

This roster is begging for depth, especially at point guard (hedging against Adams departure) and center. This is reflected in the guys we've been involved with early in 2017. KO has targeted several point guards, several wing shooters, and several big men.

G: Tremont Waters, Ishmael El-Amin, Nate Pierre-Louis, etc
W(shooters): Jermaine Samuels, Andre Rafus, Jordan Tucker, etc
F/C: Zach Brown, Ira Lee, Sam Japhet-Mathias, Billy Preston, etc

I would expect the top target to be either a point guard or a center. Adams leaving after his sophomore year is a possibility, and after a junior year I think more likely than not and you don't want to get caught with no guard depth, so I think 17 will include two point guard types, a wing, and a center, in line with KO's early targets. Just my two cents though.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Billy Preston? Here we go round in circles!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Our obsession aside, what do we know about what's actually going on with IEA? Are we actively in on him?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What happened with Heron (2016) ?

Reaction Score
Zach Brown or Japhet-Mathias.

If Diallo comes to UConn, I expect UConn to have very little traction with anything but a center.

PG is likely if it looks like Adams may leave after soph year.
SG+SF, not likely with Larrier and hopefully Diallo and Bailey around. If no Bailey, gonna need another wing/big guard.
PF, this is where I see little possibility at all, not with Facey as senior, Enoch and Diarra. Sure, they are going to backup Brimah at center too, but this is too much to ask.

So, look at the center position. Both Brown and Japhet-Mathias might do well to consider that at UConn, they will be stepping into a situation with a lot of playing time, and a lot of experienced talent already on the floor. In other words, they will be anchoring teams that will compete at the highest levels.
dating all the way from JC's era when is the last time a C was the top target of a recruiting class? I'd bet money on it being a PG, Guard/Wing, or a hybrid 4/3. Plus as much as we're hoping Diallo reclassifies he's still technically a 2017 kid.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
PJ Washington dunks everything and has range out to the 3 point line. I think he's going to end up being a top 20 guy in the 2017 class. I could see him being our biggest target if we stop with Brown.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the one team that gives me pause. Before someone (Sammy ;)) comes in and lectures me about how they're a garbage mid-major program, they are one of two other non-P5 teams that can recruit at a high level. I do think that we are in a very good place with him, but they are the only other school that I'm even slightly worried about.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is the one team that gives me pause. Before someone (Sammy ;)) comes in and lectures me about how they're a garbage mid-major program, they are one of two other non-P5 teams that can recruit at a high level. I do think that we are in a very good place with him, but they are the only other school that I'm even slightly worried about.

SDSU for me as well, they've pulled in quite a few top 75 kids over the last 5 years or so.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
This kid's father played the bulk of his career in Salt Lake City and has lived there for nearly all of his post basketball life. It is likely Utah is the only home the younger Bailey has known so I would view Utah as a very strong possibility for him.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Worth noting that Gonzaga beat us for Josh Perkins a couple years back. Perkins was looking like an ideal 6th man for them as a freshman last season before he got his jaw broken & took a redshirt.

Reaction Score
Just seems like he's got a few very good choices. I'd say the Zags, Utes, SDSU and BYU all have very good hoops programs where Bailey can develop his skills and make the NCAA Tourney. UConn obviously has multiple recent NCs, which none of the others have. It's going to come down to where he feels most comfortable and fits the best. I don't know if proximity to his home will make a difference or not. I don't know how close the University of Utah or BYU are to his home. I don't think Washington State (Zags) or Southern California (SDSU) are easy trips for his family, so if it were to come down to them or UConn, I'm not sure it would make a huge difference.

As for UConn, he clearly gives us that Stretch-4 that we will need next year once Shonn Miller moves on. BTW, the topic is 2017, but Bailey is a 2016 recruit. Anyhow, he seems like a great fit here. Maybe he will fit well at one of the other programs as well.

Reaction Score
dating all the way from JC's era when is the last time a C was the top target of a recruiting class? I'd bet money on it being a PG, Guard/Wing, or a hybrid 4/3. Plus as much as we're hoping Diallo reclassifies he's still technically a 2017 kid.

You could argue Diamond Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman