2016 Commit #4 - Quayvon Skanes (WR/S) Chicago Illinois | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2016 Commit #4 - Quayvon Skanes (WR/S) Chicago Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Feeling good today and looking forward to the new guys making an impact. Better yet, a stud recruiter in the midwest? Sounds good and should motivate the players working hard this offseason.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Welcome aboard Quayvon! I love slot receivers! They make any QB look good no matter how weak or strong their arms are. Seeing how poor out O-Line and QB play has been, a quality slot receiver and calling quick slants can really do wonders to our offense!

Reaction Score
Looks like Bob is looking for some skilled playmakers to go with those big bodies he recruited last year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Looks like Bob is looking for some skilled playmakers to go with those big bodies he recruited last year.
Which big bodies are those? UConn is hurting in the trenches. At least along the offensive line.

Reaction Score
Not to accidentally steer the conversation back on track, but I am surprised and a bit impressed by the sudden deluge of commits. Things were looking pretty awkward/ugly for a minute there, and yeah, they aren't all 4-star recruits (Dwayne Difton ain't walkin' through that door!), but still, the fact that we can beat any FBS programs in better conferences when we're in a bit (ha) of a tailspin is encouraging, to me. Speaks to Diaco's ability to recruit in bad conditions.

Imagine how we'll do if we win a few games or Heaven forbid end up in a legitimate conference.

Reaction Score
Looks like a nice start to this recruiting class. Wake me in a couple of years and then we'll know what we've got.

Irish Loop is right, Dwayne Difton is not walking through the door........and we can be somewhat thankful for that. In yet another of countless examples as to how flawed the recruiting sites are, in the class he was recruited was another kid from FLA named Mike Lang who was a 2* recruit. In Difton's best day he was not 1/20th the athlete of that kid. Lang was a total stud. Unfortunately, neither of them had the head to stay with the program..........yet another variable the sites can't reflect.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not to accidentally steer the conversation back on track, but I am surprised and a bit impressed by the sudden deluge of commits. Things were looking pretty awkward/ugly for a minute there, and yeah, they aren't all 4-star recruits (Dwayne Difton ain't walkin' through that door!), but still, the fact that we can beat any FBS programs in better conferences when we're in a bit (ha) of a tailspin is encouraging, to me. Speaks to Diaco's ability to recruit in bad conditions.

Imagine how we'll do if we win a few games or Heaven forbid end up in a legitimate conference.

That's how I feel too. Beating out FBS programs for kids is a win and the fact the last two kids had ACC and B1G offers is a great sign and a credit to Diaco and his staff.

I'm hoping we catch lightning in a bottle with either Shirreffs or Anderson (ala Lorenzen who albeit was a lot higher profile commit).

If we can get some momentum on the field, we'll really be able to see what Diaco can do on the trail.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Which big bodies are those? UConn is hurting in the trenches. At least along the offensive line.
I think that all the skill players the staff brought in last year are like 6'7"

Reaction Score
I'm happy with the recruiting so far. Would I like to see bigger names on there offer lists? Sure. It's not unreasonable to think we can, but I think if we can recruit against ACC (outside of Clemson and FSU) and bottom half of the B1G right now that's a big step in the direction we want to go. If we win and win often this year (which I expect), I fully expect us to see recruits with long list of offer lists and see Diaco winning those battles. If that doesn't happen, I hope he's at least Edsall 2.0, same success with the ability to at least keep in state talent instate.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think that all the skill players the staff brought in last year are like 6'7"
I seem to remember they having length (shout out to Jay Bilas who only said it a couple times last night), but when I hear "Big Bodies," I think weight more than height. I want more 300 lb'ers. I know Coach Diaco was able to bring in a couple true O-Linemen, but to just assume they will put on 50 lbs of mostly muscle doesn't always work out. I still have visions of Xavier Hemingway trying to play offensive tackle at 265.

On the other hand, Former "Coach" Pasqualoni wasn't particularly attempt in the development department and he didn't have a strength trainer like Balis on his staff.

Reaction Score
I really like this young man's ability on special teams with the punt and kick returns. In addition, he has good field awareness and makes plays happen on both sides of the ball; leading by example. Nice pick-up and I look forward to hearing good things from him.

Welcome to the UCONN family, Quayvon! I look forward to cheering you on throughout your college career.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember they having length (shout out to Jay Bilas who only said it a couple times last night), but when I hear "Big Bodies," I think weight more than height. I want more 300 lb'ers. I know Coach Diaco was able to bring in a couple true O-Linemen, but to just assume they will put on 50 lbs of mostly muscle doesn't always work out. I still have visions of Xavier Hemingway trying to play offensive tackle at 265.

On the other hand, Former "Coach" Pasqualoni wasn't particularly attempt in the development department and he didn't have a strength trainer like Balis on his staff.

I agree that some guys can't add muscle quickly due to genetics or lack of commitment to eating and training. However, that is why diaco brought in 10-12 guys to fill 4-6 spots on the line/ blocking TE. We need more than 4-6 guys, but we also have other classes to produce contributors other than the 2015 class.

what diaco has done is recruit guys who will work hard and want to do anything possible to be great at football. Therefore, if a guy has the genetics for putting on muscle, then I believe almost all of diacos recruits will reach that potential through commitment to eating and lifting.

At least that's the plan....

Reaction Score

6'8" 245 lb Freshmen can easily be molded into 6'8" 305 lb beasts In their senior year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
6'8" 245 lb Freshmen can easily be molded into 6'8" 305 lb beasts In their senior year.

And it only took 4 years :rolleyes:.

looking for a little quicker timeline...

Reaction Score
And it only took 4 years :rolleyes:.

looking for a little quicker timeline...
When you bring in class after class of these type of kids, when one senior class moves on, the next class is next to fill in. Thats how it would/should work. It doesn't always work that way, but thats the expected transition from year to year.

Some will take quicker than others, and some recruits will come in a bit more ready to go than others. That's part of recruiting. The line turnover will be less this season than other positions I believe,

Reaction Score
When they win recruiting battles we all win.

If you were wrong, then the people who disagreed with you should just say that we really don't need these kids.

Reaction Score
If we are lucky, this kid will have a little Larry Taylor in him

Reaction Score
Skanes and his team are a midst a magical and historical run. Skanes seems to be a special and a special kid. I love the addition a leader like him. Switches to QB for his senior year and he has led his public league school to the state title game. Give this article a read: http://suntimeshighschoolsports.com...sational-quayvon-skanes-sends-phillips-state/

Here is another good read on the team and just how low their program was a handful of years ago. There are some similarities to recent struggles of Uconn.: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-football-haugh-spt-1120-20151119-column.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom