2015 USNews & Report Rankings | The Boneyard

2015 USNews & Report Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, as long as we are in the same classification with other B1G schools, that has to be positive.

As a side note, anybody else see WVU's 85% acceptance rate???

Reaction Score
this came out 10 months ago- wait for the 2016

The UMass Football Blog reported it today and the info was from a July 12th, 2015 article from an online paper called the Boston Suntimes.

Reaction Score
Louisville #88 with a bullet. Making the ACC proud, no doubt.

I do think they are last year's numbers, though. Louisville was surpassed by such august institutions as Ole Miss, Miss State, UMass-Lowell, UMD-Baltimore among others. 71.1% acceptance rate and a 25% 4 yr graduation rate. Puts it right in there with Duke, BC etc. - right?

Abandoning any pretense of academic integrity will cause the ACC problems in the long run.

Reaction Score
Hey, as long as we are in the same classification with other B1G schools, that has to be positive.

As a side note, anybody else see WVU's 85% acceptance rate???

compared to kansas state at 95.9% WVU looks like Harvard

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was a Money magazine article that recently came out with a best of list. UConn was #19 public university on that list.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-rankings-finally-get-it-right-for-students/

Unlike U.S. News, which focuses on several measures that really shouldn’t matter to students — percentage of alumni who donate, for example — Money magazine tries to answer the questions that prospective students should be asking on their college tours this summer: What is the graduation rate, net price (what’s the real tuition they’ll pay), how much do they and their parents have to borrow in loans, and will they learn any marketable skills that will help them get a job in order to pay back those loans?

https://best-colleges.time.com/money/full-ranking#/list

Money’s Best Colleges

1. Stanford University
2. Babson College
3. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
3. Princeton University
5. California Institute of Technology
6. Harvey Mudd College
6. Harvard University
8. Maine Maritime Academy
9. Amherst College
9. University of California-Berkeley
9. Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
12. University of Pennsylvania
13. University of California-Irvine
14. Rice University
15. Brigham Young University-Provo
15. Bentley University
17. University of Virginia
18. University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
19. Claremont McKenna College
20. Texas A&M University-College Station
21. Yale University
21. Dartmouth College
21. Duke University
24. Washington and Lee University
24. Vanderbilt University

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There was a Money magazine article that recently came out with a best of list. UConn was #19 public university on that list.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-rankings-finally-get-it-right-for-students/

Unlike U.S. News, which focuses on several measures that really shouldn’t matter to students — percentage of alumni who donate, for example — Money magazine tries to answer the questions that prospective students should be asking on their college tours this summer: What is the graduation rate, net price (what’s the real tuition they’ll pay), how much do they and their parents have to borrow in loans, and will they learn any marketable skills that will help them get a job in order to pay back those loans?

Money’s Best Colleges

1. Stanford University
2. Babson College
3. Princeton University
6. Harvey Mudd College
6. Harvard University
9. Amherst College
14. Rice University
15. Bentley University
21. Yale University
21. Dartmouth College
21. Duke University

Regardless of the criteria used, if you generate a list that tells you to go to Harvey Mudd before going to Harvard, or to go to Claremont McKenna before going to Yale, you need to re-examine your methods and your head... :confused:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Harvey Mudd is fantastic for some specific majors.

How many of them, and which. Keep in mind that you are now comparing them against Harvard in the same major. I'm willing to concede whichever majors you find that happen to be ranked higher than Harvard's...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
How many of them, and which. Keep in mind that you are now comparing them against Harvard in the same major. I'm willing to concede whichever majors you find that happen to be ranked higher than Harvard's...

Harvey Mudd is a science and engineering school that only offers six majors (math, CoSci, physics, chem, bio, engineering). It caters to very specific students - ones on a fast track to careers in those fields (basically it is another Caltech). Harvard probably gets weighed down in this methodology by poetry and art history majors.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Harvey Mudd is a science and engineering school that only offers six majors (math, CoSci, physics, chem, bio, engineering). It caters to very specific students - ones on a fast track to careers in those fields (basically it is another Caltech). Harvard probably gets weighed down in this methodology by poetry and art history majors.

I agree that there is probably a watering down of sorts, due to Harvard's size. But still, even in the area of engineering for which Harvey Mudd is famous, Harvard scores better at the graduate level (and yes, Harvey Mudd has graduate programs with which to compare):

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings

So even in Harvey Mudd's best subject, they are not better than Harvard. People have to understand that we are talking about an institution with a 30 billion dollar endowment and is famous even in the smallest corners of Papua New Guinea. That's why it's difficult for me to take these selective ranking lists seriously sometimes...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait, I thought this guy was Harvey Mudd...
320x240.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't believe any of these rankings are perfect in a vacuum. They provide starting reference points for parents, prospective students and employers.

A school like Babson score high because it has one college (business), the average salary per graduate is high and graduates are loaded down with student loans. The Money list is more output/outcome based criteria rather than input measures like SAT scores.

Reaction Score
If you're from Boston, and you say you went to Harvey Mudd (Harvah Mud.) will people think you went to Harvrd Med.??

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you're from Boston, and you say you went to Harvey Mudd (Harvah Mud.) will people think you went to Harvrd Med.??

^^^ My boy is wicked smaht!!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
compared to kansas state at 95.9% WVU looks like Harvard

Please people. K State and KU are both required by state law to accept every single graduating student who hits a certain GPA/test score. It's brutal for the rankings of both schools, who then need to flunk those huge freshman classes out to Emporia State etc.. Fortunately, some guidance counselors talk students into going to the appropriate school and there is a cost difference as well.

Reaction Score

Money’s Best Colleges

1. Stanford University
2. Babson College
3. Princeton University
6. Harvey Mudd College
6. Harvard University
9. Amherst College
14. Rice University
15. Bentley University
21. Yale University
21. Dartmouth College
21. Duke University

Reaction Score
Hmm I didn't read the whole article but would have assumed RU would have been top thirty or so? Maybe because they haven't finished assimilating the Med schools yet? That should prop them up to their traditional respected place.

Reaction Score
Hmm I didn't read the whole article but would have assumed RU would have been top thirty or so? Maybe because they haven't finished assimilating the Med schools yet? That should prop them up to their traditional respected place.

Nicky, I lived most of my life in NJ, and did my undergrad at Rutgers-Newark, so I am a fan of Rutgers as well, even if I am not supposed to be. I do regard Rutgers (main campus) as a top-notch university, but I don't know about top 30. Almost all of the schools listed have a good argument, including UConn. There are a lot of different rankings, and I've seen schools, like Maryland, rank anywhere from around 20 or barely making the top 100. I see Maryland didn't make the cut in the top 50 either. All of these rankings have different criteria and metrics, so results can and will vary widely. To give another example, most rankings involving Texas A&M (another school I follow) always ranged between 50 and 100, and they are 20 in this ranking. I think this particular ranking focuses on undergraduate, so I don't think the acquisition of the medical schools would have made a difference (even if it did, it will take time to shake off the corruption/incompetence that occurred at UMDNJ for ages).

Also, if you get a chance, check out the Rutgers 2030 Physical Master Plan for the three campuses. The plans for Newark look pretty cool. I hope they will able to follow up and complete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom