2015 regionals in Springfield?? | The Boneyard

2015 regionals in Springfield??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In the Springfield Republican Geno acknowledges the UConn flavor of the crowd yesterday and says
that he thinks the fan base would turn out big for a regional in Springfield. I am betting he is strongly hinting
that Springfield bid for a 2015 regional. They did for 2014 but didn't get it. There are no 2014 sites in the
northeast so I would think the committee would look favorably at a bid from Springfield in 2015.... neutral courts for the regionals are what they should be heading for.

Reaction Score
NCAA is looking to have 4 permanent sites for Regionals in hopes of growing the fan base and the game as a whole, They will also have 4 permanent FF sites that will rotate between the 4 sites every year, Indianapolis, Tampa are two sites, they are going to vote on two other sites from the four remaining options.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
NCAA is looking to have 4 permanent sites for Regionals in hopes of growing the fan base and the game as a whole, They will also have 4 permanent FF sites that will rotate between the 4 sites every year, Indianapolis, Tampa are two sites, they are going to vote on two other sites from the four remaining options.

What is your source for this information?

Reaction Score
I cannot imagine a worse idea than having 4 permanent Final Four sites. A lot of fans go to experience a new city. Indianapolis didn't even sell out in 2011 with Notre Dame there. Tampa? Tennessee was really the only fans who traveled there in 2008 (perhaps sensing they wouldn't be back in a while?). Neither are strong WCBB hot beds. Neither are places I'd be particularly thrilled to travel to again.

When the Final Four returned to St. Louis in 2009, San Antonio in 2010, and New Orleans in 2013, all who hosted earlier in the decade, the crowds were smaller than the first time they hosted. No evidence at all that a permanent site is a plus or builds a community fan base. Indianapolis went from 25,000 + fans in the RCA Dome in 2005 to not even selling out the Conseco Field Hose which seats I believe 18,000+ with an Indiana school there.

Why no northeast cities with UConn being such an annual contender? Final 4 turned out pretty damn good in Boston if I recall. I was watching a volleyball game on the Big Ten network and they said the Final 4 for Volleyball was in Seattle. I instantly thought what a great spot that would be for a women's basketball Final Four with the Seattle Storm always getting such passionate support.

When they picked a brand new city, Denver, it was a sell out in 2012. I have no doubt Nashville who is also a first time host will be a sellout. The NCAA bypassed Dallas which placed a bid despite the fact Texas A/M and Baylor just won national titles and the city has a beautiful new arena and has never hosted. There are times when I really think women's basketball has a death wish.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Indianapolis already is a permanent city. My wife, who goes with me to almost every Final Four, was reluctant to return to Indianapolis, and only when when friends talked her into it, but she has already declared she won't be going back next time. Anecdotal, to be sure, but others may feel the same way.

Reaction Score
In the Springfield Republican Geno acknowledges the UConn flavor of the crowd yesterday and says
that he thinks the fan base would turn out big for a regional in Springfield. I am betting he is strongly hinting
that Springfield bid for a 2015 regional. They did for 2014 but didn't get it. There are no 2014 sites in the
northeast so I would think the committee would look favorably at a bid from Springfield in 2015.... neutral courts for the regionals are what they should be heading for.

Can't imagine a less attractive sight than MassMutual. Hockey arena with poor lighting and a scoreboard in danger of being hit by an errant basketball in addition to horrible endline seats with almost no gradient.

Reaction Score
What is your source for this information?
It is part of the study done by Val Ackerman called the "white paper" look it up

Ask Geno or any college head coach, and they will tell you it's true,

Indianapolis is the NCAA headquarters it's always in the mix,

Women's basketball nationwide has falling off tremendously in attendance and revenue, they have lost money on the FF over the last 5+ years, it cost more to put on the FF than it brings in, that's why they commissioned Val Ackerman to do the study and come back with ways to try and fix it.

They toying with the idea of moving the Women's tournament back a week so as not to be the same weekend as the men's and put back to a Fri-Sun format instead of the current Sun-Tues format, again in hopes of growing the sport

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm very familiar with the study, but that study recommended looking into those options. I know Indianapolis is already wired as a permanent part of the rotation. However, the decision to use permanent Regionals was a recommendation. Your post sounds like it has been settled, so I was wondering where you heard that.

Reaction Score
I'm very familiar with the study, but that study recommended looking into those options. I know Indianapolis is already wired as a permanent part of the rotation. However, the decision to use permanent Regionals was a recommendation. Your post sounds like it has been settled, so I was wondering where you heard that.
According to the head coaches I spoke with they are move forward in that direction, more so for 2015 than 2014 but we will start seeing some of the things in 2014, I think the top 16 will host the first and 2nd rounds, not sure about the regional stuff for 2014, but should be in effect for 2015,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom