2015 Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2015 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know it's not quite the same and I could do some digging to try and find the article but I remember an article from a few years ago relating where teams finished in recruiting rankings versus where they were ranked by the end of the season. There was USC that was right in the middle because they had the best recruiting classes and the best seasons during the time frame while UCONN was near the top of the list and I think Cincinnati was number 1 as the team that won the most with the worst recruiting classes. Shows clearly there isn't a direct correlation between recruiting ranking and wins

Reaction Score
Although I don't comment much and mostly observe discussion, I'll throw my hat into the most craziest debate out there...about halfway down in this article is does an analysis of rivals recruiting class ranks in head to head match ups with each other and it shows pretty convincingly that if rivals ranks your class high, you will win 50% of the time against similar classes and beat lower classes at a higher percentage the lower rivals ranks them and that if your classes rank low, you will lose to higher ranked classes with an increasing percentage the higher the class...it basically confirms rivals class ranking pretty well... http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21641769

Reaction Score
Any chance we can migrate this rating discussion to a new thread and off the 2015 Recruiting Thread (meant more for discussing interest/visits/offers/commits, etc) - it's wandered off topic last couple of pages??

Last edited:

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The same day that coach Diaco brings in Huskies of the past on the same day. That won't hurt with recruits.

Reaction Score
Looks like another offer out...

“@OCFBCoachSmith: congrats to @ChanningHames on his latest offer from UCONN @RivalsFriedman @MClarkScout #allmets #GrindNowShineLater”

Channing Hames... 6-5 250lb DT/DE from Bishop O'Connell HS in Arlington VA. Other offers from BC, ODU, UVA, Marshall, WVA, Charlotte.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2780290/channing-hames

Reaction Score
Updated...

1. Tommy Hatton (OL) - St. Joseph Regional HS, Montvale NJ
2. Steve Gonzalez (OT) - Union City HS, Union City NJ
3. Naz Bonner (APB) - Imhotep Institute Charter School, Philadelphia PA
4. Kareem Ali (CB) - Timber Creek Regional HS, Gloucester Twnshp NJ
5. Christian Wilkins (DT) - Suffield Academy, Suffield CT
6. Taj-Amir Torrez - (WR/ATH) - Amherst Regional HS - Amherst MA
7. Jordan Fox (OLB/TE) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
8. Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
9. Brandon Wimbush (DT QB) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
10. Jay Stocker (S) - Coatesville Area HS, Coatesville PA
11. Dionte Austin (CB) - Calvert Hall College HS, Towson MD
12. Juantez McRae (S) - Calvert Hall College HS, Towson MD
13. Justin Spencer (CB/Ath) - Oviedo HS, Oviedo FL
14. Sam Tecklenburg (DT/TE/OT) - Plano HS, Plano Tx
15. Jalen Christian (ATH/CB) - Damascus HS, Damascus MD
16. Chris Garrison (TE) - Lawrence Academy, Groton MA
17. Matt Burrell (OT) - CD Hylton HS, Woodbridge VA
18. Shareef Miller (DE) -Frankford HS, Philadelphia PA
19. Will Harris (DB) - Choate-Rosemary Hall, Wallingford CT
20. Quinn Oseland (OL) - Sacred Heart Griffin, Springfield Ill
21. Zach Allen (DE/LB) - New Canaan HS, New Canaan CT
22. Najee Clayton (WR) - Paramus Catholic HS, Paramus NJ
23. Saleem Brightwell (OLB) - Paramus Catholic HS, Paramus NJ
24. Dave Tolentino (NG/T) - St. Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ.
25. Chris Clark (TE) - Avon Old Farms Prep, Avon CT
26. Leon Thornton (WR) - Montini Catholic, Lombard Ill.
27. Channing Hames (DE/DT) - Bishop O'Connell, Arlington VA
28. Manny Bowen (LB) - Barnegat HS, Barnegat NJ
29. Anthony Palazzolo (DT) - Fairfield Prep, Fairfield CT (BC Commit)
30. De'Andre Johnson (DT QB) - First Coast HS, Jacksonville FL (FSU Commit)
31. DuWayne Johnson (CB) - Woodson HS, Washington DC (VT Commit)
32. Dexter Neal (WR) - Stephenson HS - Stone Mountain GA (USCe Commit)
33. Chauncey Rivers (TE/DE) - Stephenson HS - Stone Mountain GA (UGA Commit)
34. Andrew Butcher (DE) - Alpharetta HS, Alpharetta GA (Tennessee Commit)
35. Arrington Farrar (S) - Woodard Academy, College Park GA (Stanford Commit)
36. Marcus Walker (S) - Lake Wales HS, Lake Wales FL (UK Commit)
37. Carlton Davis (S) - Norland HS, Miami FL (University of Miami Commit)
38. Ryan Buchholz (DE/TE) - Great Valley HS, Malvern PA (PSU Commit 2/24)

Caveat - This list includes both previous and current staff offers.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Looks like another offer out...

“@OCFBCoachSmith: congrats to @ChanningHames on his latest offer from UCONN @RivalsFriedman @MClarkScout #allmets #GrindNowShineLater”

Channing Hames... 6-5 250lb DT/DE from Bishop O'Connell HS in Arlington VA. Other offers from BC, ODU, UVA, Marshall, WVA, Charlotte.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2780290/channing-hames
Do you know off the top of your head how many scholarships will be available next year? What if, on the off chance, all 27 uncommitted recruits verbal UConn tomorrow? What are the next steps? Is it 1st fax 1st serve come February 2015?

Reaction Score
Expected to be less than 20, again. No one can commit or fax before next February. As Dan would have said prior to his being barred - there is a differnce between offers and commitable offers.

If, hypothetically, all 27 committed, I think HCBD would do a back flip and then figure out how to create openings for each of them. Rivals and 24/7 would immediately proclaim UConn to be the #1 program; ESPN would do a feature on the program; and Delany would call Warde and ask if he had time to meet with him in the next few weeks to catch up on some things the commish has been mulling over. Of course, none of that will happen, so hit the snooze an return to your dream

Husky25

Reaction Score
Expected to be less than 20, again. No one can commit or fax before next February. As Dan would have said prior to his being barred - there is a differnce between offers and commitable offers.

If, hypothetically, all 27 committed, I think HCBD would do a back flip and then figure out how to create openings for each of them. Rivals and 24/7 would immediately proclaim UConn to be the #1 program; ESPN would do a feature on the program; and Delany would call Warde and ask if he had time to meet with him in the next few weeks to catch up on some things the commish has been mulling over. Of course, none of that will happen, so hit the snooze an return to your dream
Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question.

This either means that UConn offered a 5 star player with other offers in hand from 'Bama, LSU, and FSU or he offered players who would reasonably only garner attention from UNH or CCSU. Either way it's dirty pool. In the business would, there are only four responses to an offer (acceptance, counter, rejection, rescission), and the offerer can only perform one of them. So let's assume that a number of non-committable offers were accepted putting committable offers at risk. What happens? I understand that most scholarships are only good for 1 academic year, but NLI day is in the middle of the second semester of that year.

Reaction Score
“@njrivals1: Barnegat, NJ LB Manny Bowen added offers from #UConn and #WestVirginia today”

Manny Bowen is 6-3 206lb LB from Barnegat HS in New Jersey. Other offers from WVA, Sparty, Rutty, Bama, BCU, Kansas, ODU, Nebraska, USCe, Cus, Wisconsin, VaTech and Vols.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/671202/manny-bowen

(List above updated)

*Edit* - add UNC to list :
“@BrianDohnScout: Barnegat (NJ) OLB Manny Bowen @mannybowens3 picked up offers from #UNC #WVU and #UConn”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks, but that doesn't exactly answer my question.

This either means that UConn offered a 5 star player with other offers in hand from 'Bama, LSU, and FSU or he offered players who would reasonably only garner attention from UNH or CCSU. Either way it's dirty pool. In the business would, there are only four responses to an offer (acceptance, counter, rejection, rescission), and the offerer can only perform one of them. So let's assume that a number of non-committable offers were accepted putting committable offers at risk. What happens? I understand that most scholarships are only good for 1 academic year, but NLI day is in the middle of the second semester of that year.

The recruit would be told by the coaching staff that he can't commit basically, its been done before

"You have an offer, but are #3 on our board, so if #1/#2 don't work out then you can commit"

Reaction Score
My guess is there are 1 or 2 kids who fall between a 5 star rating and an offer from CCSU.

One can not bind someone by accepting an offer unless there is "consideration". In NCAA speak, the consideration is an athletic scholarship, which can not be offered before February (NSD). In the business world, an offer is accompanied by money or goods, exchanged between 2 sides. There is no exchange that can happen before NSD.

Its only dirty pool if one finds the "offer" to be binding - and since it is not binding on either side, i am unclear as to how it is dirty. Both sides know they are free to change their minds up until NSD. This is the single biggest decision many of these kids will EVER make in their life - why do you want to put their feet in cement before their junior prom?

I wish they would change the terminology to indications of interest or something of the sort as fans are regularly confused about the terms "offer" and "acceptance" in the recruiting world. We seem to have threads about this annually.

Husky25

Reaction Score
My guess is there are 1 or 2 kids who fall between a 5 star rating and an offer from CCSU.

One can not bind someone by accepting an offer unless there is "consideration". In NCAA speak, the consideration is an athletic scholarship, which can not be offered before February (NSD). In the business world, an offer is accompanied by money or goods, exchanged between 2 sides. There is no exchange that can happen before NSD.

Its only dirty pool if one finds the "offer" to be binding - and since it is not binding on either side, i am unclear as to how it is dirty. Both sides know they are free to change their minds up until NSD. This is the single biggest decision many of these kids will EVER make in their life - why do you want to put their feet in cement before their junior prom?

I wish they would change the terminology to indications of interest or something of the sort as fans are regularly confused about the terms "offer" and "acceptance" in the recruiting world. We seem to have threads about this annually.

Thank you, however it appears that you answered a question that I did not ask. I know about consideration (I thought it was readily apparent in post to which you responded. Apparently not.). I did not say that the non-binding nature of the verbal offer/commitment was dirty pool. I said the committable vs. non-committable offer portion is. After a quick Internet search I found a more thorough answer my question. Thank you for your responses though.

Turning away a kid with a written offer can make for bad PR if the recruit turns to tell the media. Turning away a recruit to whom the school had extended a verbal offer can be dismissed as a miscommunication.

[Players] might lose their spot in the class of the school they wish to attend, particularly when programs are throwing out verbal offers by the hundreds. There's no accurate way to track every verbal offer a school has extended, but some estimates have SEC bottom feeders like Ole Miss extending close to 300 offers. That, for a class that can be no bigger than 25.

Kids with supposed verbal offers are rejected all the time when they attempt to commit. Fans rarely hear about it since schools are prohibited by NCAA rule from speaking about recruits to the media, recruits are the only source of this sort of news. On the record, at least. And most recruits, out of fear of embarrassment, won't publicly admit that they've been rejected by a school to which they hold a verbal offer. This can also backfire on a school, because the recruit may still hold animosity from the earlier commitment attempt, realizing that he was not the first choice, when the school later comes back and asks him to commit (for real this time).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Here's the "target list" for NJ for 15/16 and one for 17:)

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news...uiting-whos-next-presenting-the-njcom-top-50/

We have offers out to a number of them. Will follow-back around w/ that when I have time but Fox, Fitzpatrick, Hatton, Gonzalez, and Ali jump out as already having UConn offers.

Can't imagine that Newsome won't garner one from Coach (he's from The Lawrenceville School a la Lawley/Watkins).

Football recruiting: NJ.com Top 50 recruits add offers
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Reaction Score
I just want to throw out there I gave up twitter for lent....so medic I'm relying on you for all my twitter feed info

(no pressure)

Reaction Score
I just want to throw out there I gave up twitter for lent....so medic I'm relying on you for all my twitter feed info

(no pressure)

Ha... I'm doing quite a bit of traveling for work so you may want to give up beets or something else for Lent.

I'll do my best but I don't have the previous tons of time on my hands. I was hoping I dropped enough crumbs along the way for folks to provide back-up coverage for when this time came... Oh well. :)

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Updated...

1. Tommy Hatton (OL) - St. Joseph Regional HS, Montvale NJ
2. Steve Gonzalez (OT) - Union City HS, Union City NJ
3. Naz Bonner (APB) - Imhotep Institute Charter School, Philadelphia PA
4. Kareem Ali (CB) - Timber Creek Regional HS, Gloucester Twnshp NJ
5. Christian Wilkins (DT) - Suffield Academy, Suffield CT
6. Taj-Amir Torrez - (WR/ATH) - Amherst Regional HS - Amherst MA
7. Jordan Fox (OLB/TE) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
8. Minkah Fitzpatrick (CB) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
9. Brandon Wimbush (DT QB) - St Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ
10. Jay Stocker (S) - Coatesville Area HS, Coatesville PA
11. Dionte Austin (CB) - Calvert Hall College HS, Towson MD
12. Juantez McRae (S) - Calvert Hall College HS, Towson MD
13. Justin Spencer (CB/Ath) - Oviedo HS, Oviedo FL
14. Sam Tecklenburg (DT/TE/OT) - Plano HS, Plano Tx
15. Jalen Christian (ATH/CB) - Damascus HS, Damascus MD
16. Chris Garrison (TE) - Lawrence Academy, Groton MA
17. Matt Burrell (OT) - CD Hylton HS, Woodbridge VA
18. Shareef Miller (DE) -Frankford HS, Philadelphia PA
19. Will Harris (DB) - Choate-Rosemary Hall, Wallingford CT
20. Quinn Oseland (OL) - Sacred Heart Griffin, Springfield Ill
21. Zach Allen (DE/LB) - New Canaan HS, New Canaan CT
22. Najee Clayton (WR) - Paramus Catholic HS, Paramus NJ
23. Saleem Brightwell (OLB) - Paramus Catholic HS, Paramus NJ
24. Dave Tolentino (NG/T) - St. Peter's Prep, Jersey City NJ.
25. Leon Thornton (WR) - Montini Catholic, Lombard Ill.
26. Channing Hames (DE/DT) - Bishop O'Connell, Arlington VA
27. Manny Bowen (LB) - Barnegat HS, Barnegat NJ
28. Trevor Ruhland (OL) - Cary-Grove HS, Cary Ill.
29. Anthony Palazzolo (DT) - Fairfield Prep, Fairfield CT (BC Commit)
30. De'Andre Johnson (DT QB) - First Coast HS, Jacksonville FL (FSU Commit)
31. DuWayne Johnson (CB) - Woodson HS, Washington DC (VT Commit)
32. Dexter Neal (WR) - Stephenson HS - Stone Mountain GA (USCe Commit)
33. Chauncey Rivers (TE/DE) - Stephenson HS - Stone Mountain GA (UGA Commit)
34. Andrew Butcher (DE) - Alpharetta HS, Alpharetta GA (Tennessee Commit)
35. Arrington Farrar (S) - Woodard Academy, College Park GA (Stanford Commit)
36. Marcus Walker (S) - Lake Wales HS, Lake Wales FL (UK Commit)
37. Carlton Davis (S) - Norland HS, Miami FL (University of Miami Commit)
38. Ryan Buchholz (DE/TE) - Great Valley HS, Malvern PA (PSU Commit 2/24)
39. Chris Clark (TE) - Avon Old Farms Prep, Avon CT (UNC Commit 3/16)

Caveat - This list includes both previous and current staff offers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clark8Chris5:17pm via iOS
I am proud to say I have officially committed to North Carolina had to go with my heart this place feels like home

Kid had 40 offers by my count from virtually every top program in the country.

List updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger