2015-2016 Season | The Boneyard

2015-2016 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I posted this on the USCHO fan forum in the 2015-2016 UCONN thread, I figured I would put this here too:

The roster is set for the season...26 man roster broken down to the following: 15 Forwards; 8 Defensemen; 3 Goalies
Roster is VERY young: 7 Freshman (5 forwards; 2 Defenseman); 11 Sophomores (6 Forwards; 3 Defenseman; 2 Goalies)

It will be interesting to see how Cav integrates the freshman into the roster...and how the kids respond on the ice. There wasn't a lot of scoring last year, so hopefully kids like Letunov and Thompson can help that. There was also not a true QB on the pp last season, with Ojantakanen kind of playing that position. Joe Masonius's numbers in the USHL with the USNDTP last season indicate that he should be able to slide into that spot. Letunov and Thompson will be the first of hopefully many UCONN kids in the NHL....Masonius could also be in this conversation.
This team will go the way Robbie Nichols goes; you could see the impact Andrew Raycroft had on Robbie's game last season. It will be interesting to see how much his game has improved from last season. If Nichols plays like the Nichols between the pipes last year, UCONN will have a chance to win every time they step on the ice.
The Sophomore class will define this team; it was the first class recruited for HE competition. Spencer Naas has to avoid a Sophomore slump...It is important that Ronan, Ojantakanen, Wight, Schwartz, and Golonka take that next step offensively. Pratt (an Alt Capt), Drake and Austin also have to take the next step and improve on their play from last year, Austin and Masonius could be the top PP D pair.
The Junior class is Cav's first class at UCONN....he basically inherited this class of Berard's recruits, outside of Richardson who he knew from BC. There is some talent here...BUT it's time for them to step up and follow the lead of Robbie Nichols...put in the hard work to get the results. Segalla, Kunnas and Richardson are talented and HE level players...but they collectively need to crank it up. Hopefully going to Pittsburgh's development camp this summer helps Segalla. The prize of this group is Nichols...one of the best goalies in HE last year. He carried this team on his back last year when goals were hard to come by...keeping them in all but a few games. If he continues to improve his game under goalie coach and former NHL Rookie of the Year Andrew Raycroft the sky is the limit for him.
The Senior Class is small with Huson, Pauly (Alt Capt.), Kirtland (Captain) and Ferriss. This group showed their grit last yr, and must continue to show leadership and scoring again this year. Their leadership is key to helping the Freshman and Sophomore class grow and reach their potential.
What is a reasonable expectation for this team in 2015-2016: To build on last year's season and strive for home ice advantage in the first round of the HE playoffs. This program will be judged on long term steady success, not flash in the pan success.

Reaction Score
In the above post I need to make a correction...Todd Kryeiger was the first UCONN alum to play in the NHL. I don't know how I forgot him as I watched him play many a game on campus at the old open air rink...and as a Whaler at the Civic Center.

Reaction Score
Gendron is currently an overall better player and better pro prospect than Masonius.

Reaction Score
Gendron is currently an overall better player and better pro prospect than Masonius.
I forgot that both Drake and Gendron were drafted. I was under the impression that Masonius was a better offensive defenseman than Gendron was. Either way...the 2 of them are a HUGE add on the blue line, and will push Segalla and Kunnas among others.

Reaction Score
After watching the Penguins development camp scrimmage, it was clear Masonius was a step behind the other defensemen. The biggest difference between him and the older players was his lack of speed compared with the minor leaguers and NHLers on the ice. He clearer has to get bigger, faster, and stronger. Of course, that will come by the strength program and growing older. I thought Segalla was a better player than Masonius during that scrimmage.

Reaction Score
After watching the Penguins development camp scrimmage, it was clear Masonius was a step behind the other defensemen. The biggest difference between him and the older players was his lack of speed compared with the minor leaguers and NHLers on the ice. He clearer has to get bigger, faster, and stronger. Of course, that will come by the strength program and growing older. I thought Segalla was a better player than Masonius during that scrimmage.
He put up some good numbers point wise for the USNDTP last year, especially against college teams that they played. I hope Segalla translate's that play to the ice this year for UCONN (Kunnas for that matter too)....he wasn't that impressive last year to me. I thought Drake had more of an upside. IMHO Buckley will be a big help to the D this year.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Tage Thompson will leave a mark on the hockey program by the time his career is done at UCONN.

I saw Tage play during the pro NHL camp scrimmage in newington last friday.
Dude, that kid is TALL!!! Like almost chara type tall when on skates compared to other players. Being only 17, the kid will get bigger and better with age.
Team is going to be nasty!

Reaction Score
UConn hockey meet and greet before the football game tonight. Starts at 6 pm

Reaction Score
My wife got to meet Coach Cav last night while walking over to get the season ticket holder hat & cup. She said he was very engaging and he had a funny sense of humor..when she told Cav we sit directly behind the bench he pointed to his head and apologized for the glare. This team will be young and will experience some ups & downs but as long as Nichols stays the course they have a shot to make some serious noise. Like I said before...the next step is to get home ice advantage in the first round of the HE tourney and win that series.

Reaction Score
Never realized the brutal stretch the team has to close the season. Consecutive series against Providence, Northeastern, and New Hampshire. Very difficult final three series especially considering home ice for the first round will be decided during this stretch.

Reaction Score
Never realized the brutal stretch the team has to close the season. Consecutive series against Providence, Northeastern, and New Hampshire. Very difficult final three series especially considering home ice for the first round will be decided during this stretch.
This stretch will show us how much the freshman have developed, and what they have left in the tank. .500 or better over this stretch would be HUGE!!!

Reaction Score
In the above post I need to make a correction...Todd Kryeiger was the first UCONN alum to play in the NHL. I don't know how I forgot him as I watched him play many a game on campus at the old open air rink...and as a Whaler at the Civic Center.

I froze my balz off on that rink. When you took a hit against the boards in January, it felt like your bones were shattering!

Reaction Score
My wife got to meet Coach Cav last night while walking over to get the season ticket holder hat & cup. She said he was very engaging and he had a funny sense of humor..when she told Cav we sit directly behind the bench he pointed to his head and apologized for the glare. This team will be young and will experience some ups & downs but as long as Nichols stays the course they have a shot to make some serious noise. Like I said before...the next step is to get home ice advantage in the first round of the HE tourney and win that series.

My son and daughter were pumped to meet the team last night. They both got posters signed by the everyone and were able to talk it up quite a bit. I'll say this... I can't believe how young they look. Seriously, they looked like the average age was 17!

Reaction Score
My son and daughter were pumped to meet the team last night. They both got posters signed by the everyone and were able to talk it up quite a bit. I'll say this... I can't believe how young they look. Seriously, they looked like the average age was 17!
Tage Thompson is 17 until the end of October

Reaction Score
BTW, UConn updated the roster's heights and weights.

If accurate:
Jesse Schwartz has added 15 lbs from last year
David Drake is up to 6'6" and added 10 lbs
Johnny Austin is up to 5'11" and 200 lbs
Bunch of guys have added 5-10 lbs from last year

Jesse Schwartz and Jeff Wight have the potential to make a big improvement from their freshmen seasons. Both averaged a point per game in the BCHL. Expecting better offensive impact from last year.

Reaction Score
I froze my balz off on that rink. When you took a hit against the boards in January, it felt like your bones were shattering!
When it rained the end of the rink closest to Hillside..and that corner closest to the soccer field used to flood and the puck would stop dead...when I was in a men's league I used it to my advantage when a guy tried to clear the puck around the boards...shot straight to the corner..picked it up as it died and fed it in front for a goal that won us the game. The things you learn as a kid..LOL

Reaction Score

If accurate:

Jesse Schwartz and Jeff Wight have the potential to make a big improvement from their freshmen seasons. Both averaged a point per game in the BCHL. Expecting better offensive impact from last year.
6 of the incoming Freshman are 6-0 or taller (Masonius, El-Mir are 6-0; Richter is 6-1; Gendron is 6-3; Letunov, Thompson are 6-4). That will help even out the size advantage teams had against this team last year.

Reaction Score

If accurate:

It didn't look like one player was 200lbs yesterday. I was actually a little shocked at the apparent lack of size. Speed solves all problems in most cases however.....

Reaction Score
When it rained the end of the rink closest to Hillside..and that corner closest to the soccer field used to flood and the puck would stop dead...when I was in a men's league I used it to my advantage when a guy tried to clear the puck around the boards...shot straight to the corner..picked it up as it died and fed it in front for a goal that won us the game. The things you learn as a kid..LOL

I remember the water in the corner. My first time on that ice, Marshall had me come out and skate to see if I "had what he was looking for" (his words). I fell prey to the puck making a few unexpected stops.... Too funny!

Reaction Score
I agree this is a brutal stretch for any HE team, but it gives the freshmen and sophomore players more time to develop before these crucial games. It really appears that we have added some tremendous depth at the forward position and it will be very interesting to see whether we can mount a more serious attack and actually score more with this added depth. Some of these players are coming in with very good credentials and it would be great to see some of them have the kind of impact that Spencer Naas had as a freshman player. If we are able to increase scoring and offensive chances, with the kind of goaltending Nichols has provided we should be in great shape. The two late additions to the roster may have boosted our stock so that we are playing more even vs. other HE teams. The recruiting class was nice before that but we may have the goods to challenge the more elite teams sooner as these players develop and produce. One thing that hurt us last year was not being able to hang with UNH, especially on their huge ice surface. Anyone have a thought about whether we have increased team speed with these additions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom