2015-2016 OCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So far we have:
Ohio St. (home)
Georgetown (home)
@Texas

We also have the Battle of Atlantis tournament which has Cuse and Gonzaga so far.

Off to a good start with the schedule.

Reaction Score
We might have an off year, but think Florida and UCONN will continue to play one another.

Reaction Score
With G'Town being at the XL Center, I would assume OSU comes to Gampel. If we could add one more that would be great.

Reaction Score
No offense, but I can easily tell the age of some posters.

I can only look forward to 2014 (Nov/Dec).

Reaction Score
So far we have:
Ohio St. (home)
Georgetown (home)
@Texas

We also have the Battle of Atlantis tournament which has Cuse and Gonzaga so far.

Off to a good start with the schedule.
Oh god, I hope we play Syracuse.

C

Chief00

Given our relatively weak conference schedule I think the goal should be 2 very good OCC games at both Gampel and XL. Obviously this year we only had 1 (Texas) so there is a lot of work to be done. But having two good OCC games in each place would help ticket sales. The old formula no longer works since the AAC is not the old Big East. These 4 games don't have to be against top ranked teams but maybe two elite teams and 2 ranked 20-40.

Reaction Score
Given our relatively weak conference schedule I think the goal should be 2 very good OCC games at both Gampel and XL. Obviously this year we only had 1 (Texas) so there is a lot of work to be done. But having two good OCC games in each place would help ticket sales. The old formula no longer works since the AAC is not the old Big East. These 4 games don't have to be against top ranked teams but maybe two elite teams and 2 ranked 20-40.

I don't really think that would be realistic. If you want four marquee home games per year, then that means you need eight home and homes at once. I'm guessing that's not possible, and even if it was, there would be a ton of revenue lost.

Reaction Score

That is beyond unrealistic. As champs99and04 pointed out, that's 8 home-and-homes in the same year, year after year.

Between the teams we currently have agreements with and the teams we've been rumored to have discussions with, it's clear what Uconn's scheduling philosophy is now: Call up every single team in the country worth playing and try to get them on the schedule. If we've called Arizona, Duke, Ohio State, and Florida, there's no reason to think that we haven't also called Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, UNC, and whoever else you can think of. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it happens years down the road (e.g. Arizona) and many times it just doesn't happen at all because there are so many logistical challenges to work out to make these games a reality.

So the bottom line is that if talking to every single top team in the country results in 3-4 very good home-and-homes and maybe 1 neutral court game in any given year, how exactly are you supposed to get 8 very good home-and-homes in a single year? It's 100% impossible unless you significantly lower the quality of opponent.

Reaction Score
Exactly h0w we have to schedule as long as we are in the AAC.

Play as many quality opponents OOC as we can.

Reaction Score
That is beyond unrealistic. As champs99and04 pointed out, that's 8 home-and-homes in the same year, year after year.

Between the teams we currently have agreements with and the teams we've been rumored to have discussions with, it's clear what Uconn's scheduling philosophy is now: Call up every single team in the country worth playing and try to get them on the schedule. If we've called Arizona, Duke, Ohio State, and Florida, there's no reason to think that we haven't also called Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, UNC, and whoever else you can think of. Sometimes it happens right away, sometimes it happens years down the road (e.g. Arizona) and many times it just doesn't happen at all because there are so many logistical challenges to work out to make these games a reality.

So the bottom line is that if talking to every single top team in the country results in 3-4 very good home-and-homes and maybe 1 neutral court game in any given year, how exactly are you supposed to get 8 very good home-and-homes in a single year? It's 100% impossible unless you significantly lower the quality of opponent.

For the time being, i.e. until UConn somehow escapes AAC purgatory, if the men can get in 3 to 4 good OOC games in a season plus one of those high-provide early season tournaments and add those to 6 quality AAC games (2x against Cincy, Memphis, SMU) and maybe hopefully Temple turns it around soon, that should support a decent strength of schedule balancing out playing a handful of early season New England practice teams and the dregs from the AAC. Of course, the key to all of this is winning. If UConn keeps winning, the target stays on our back, our fans keep traveling, and as a result, other basketball powers, including P5, will keep playing the Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom