2014 Pro Day and 2015 Combine Bench Press Numbers Don't Lie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2014 Pro Day and 2015 Combine Bench Press Numbers Don't Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love intellectual jousting on the BY.

Yes! Does not happen often. Many times it is like trying to watch an eclipse of the moon on a cloudy night. You have to look hoping to catch that occasional break in the clouds...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Martin shouldn't figure into the discussion at all, since he was not the S&C coach under P.

My bad. Replace the word "Devers" for "Martin" in my post, and it becomes 100% correct again...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Don't most guys invited to the combine immediately start training with professional help? He could have increased his benching since the end of the season at some academy.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
All I'm saying is this...it's pretty embarrassing when a year after 2 starting OL put up 16 and 18 reps at 225 a WR puts up 23. To me that's an indictment of the previous regime's strength and conditioning program. I'm sorry but there is no way that should happen...a TE or LB putting up higher numbers than a OL I can see...but not a WR. That's not inferring anything...that's coming straight from guys I tailgate with who played at UCONN and had Jerry Martin as a strength & conditioning coach.
And I sort of agree - but we don't know if the OL had injuries that prevented them from maxing reps at combine or were nursing injuries during the FB season and couldn't work with weights.

And agree that previous regime didn't care

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
It's highly likely that Balis has improved things. I think that I could have improved things with some printouts from the internet, a Miley Cyrus CD and a Kurig machine. One player's results don't prove anything is the point...

That's funny stuff. Miley, lol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For all those digging in to the minutia, the OP was just using Davis' high number of reps as a reminder as to how poorly conditioned the team was under the previous, not to be named, prior regime.

His point is independent of how well Davis would do regardless of strength coach, who the strength coaches were under different regimes or any other variable.

It wasn't meant to be a cause/effect, just a reminder that we had an entirre class of 5-year Olinemen that couldn't do 20 reps on the bench and that things are hopefully improving with a new strength coach.

It's almost impossible to make a judgement on a strength coach's ability and program based off of one player. Too many variables such as internal motivation, diet, body type, etc. You have to look holistically at how the team is conditioned.

It is very easy to look at one player's performance, have it trigger memories of how bad things were and express hope for the future.

Reaction Score
I don't think that you have the intellectual capacity for this discussion. You can't evaluate Davis without having a pre-Balis baseline, which you don't have.
Are you the former S&T coach? Holy cow.

Reaction Score
APA said:
I don't think that you have the intellectual capacity for this discussion. You can't evaluate Davis without having a pre-Balis baseline, which you don't have.
You're a .

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
No it's not...when you have starting offensive lineman doing 18 and 16 reps in the bench at a pro day that means the team was flat out duck*ING poorly strength trained! That's beyond embarrassing to tell you the truth!! It showed the past 3 years watching this team get pushed around especially in the trenches!

Yes, Green and Bennett doing under 19 lifts was freakin pathetic.

Reaction Score
One thing that should be taken into consideration is that NFL bench pressers are allowed to bounce the bar off their chest. This can make a weaker lifter look stronger if they are good at this technique. It is not as true a test of strength as stopping at the chest between every lift. I have no idea why the NFL allows this, but they do.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This again?

FDNY you are probably right about Balis' impact. But APA is technically correct in his argument. End of story. I think everyone acknowledges that you're likely correct in your assumption but you'd have to be pretty dim not to concede to APA's position.
Just stirring the pot Jimmy...he is only around when he throws out conceded comments...haven't seen him since

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you the former S&T coach? Holy cow.

Even when 'we' argue you can generally tell who the fans are.

APA isn't a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
The problem I see with the OP analysis is let's take the the weakest bench number of the 2015 group and compare it to the list provided. Let's say for arguments sake it was 8. Then P's S&C was much better than Balis. Unless you have a baseline - comparing Apples to Apples - then you really have nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom