2012 Roster -- Runnings Backs | The Boneyard

2012 Roster -- Runnings Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's start at FB. Last year, we had to replace the great Anthony Sherman, and we tried to do it with Mark Hinckley, a previously sparingly used walk-on and Ruben Frank, a RS Frosh. Not surprisingly, we took a big step backwards at the position. Each showed the ability to catch the swing pass, but not to make a big play when they caught it. More importantly, neither was near the level of blocker we got used to at this position with Deon, Anthony Davis and Sherman. I wouldn't beat either up -- we were dealing with a frosh and a walk-on -- but it was a big step back. That having been said, Frank certainly showed potential as a road grader FB for a frosh, and will presumably make a big step up this year. Hinckley took his last year of eligibility and his degree and moved on when there was no schollie for him, and we moved Mike Osiecki from LB to FB. I saw Osiecki carry the pill in HS, and like this move. Where will he be on the learning curve this year -- no clue -- but he's got three years of eligibility left and I think he'll be a good, well rounded FB by the time he's done. We recruited two true frosh who could end up either at FB or LB -- as for now the roster says Clax is a FB/LB while Vinci is a LB/FB -- but I'm guessing the coaches figure they have this fall with those two being redshirted to figure that out. The position is rounded out by two walk-ons whom we haven't seen on the field -- the RS Frosh Matteis and the Sr. Tartaglino. Overall, the position should be improved from last year, but I'm not clear by how much.

At TB, we've been spoiled since our move to the Rent, so much so that what Lyle McCombs did last year didn't seem to many like a good season. Now, McCombs has a limited cieling. He showed little strength, not great speed and not even particular shiftiness. What he did, however, was hit the right holes, make quick cuts, hold onto the pigskin and keep himself on the field. And he did those well enough to rush for about what the Donald and Todman combined for as frosh, and make all-conference. Do we need higher yards per carry from the ground game? Yes. More explosiveness? Would be nice. But he had a damn good year all things considred, and is already a better than average starting Big East TB. I expect him to be a little stronger this year, and a little more rounded in the passing game.

I was really, really hoping DJ Shoemate would be back to at best challenge Lyle and at worst be relief help. Last year, with Todman, Frey and Wylie all leaving early, DJ and HYppolite hurt, Delorenzo redshirting and Foxx unable to crack the lineup (and the coaches determining he's more of a WR anyway), JJL was the only other tailback we had, and despite obvious athleticism (more so than McCombs) was played almost exclusively when he absolutely had to be played, finishing with less than 100 yards for the year. What was a traffic jam at TB just 20 months ago is now an understaffed crew, with the depth chart showing only McCombs, Hyppolite, local RS frosh Max Delorenzo and the true frosh (but in camp last spring) Joe Williams. One of them really, really, really needs to emerge as a backup who can give McCombs a breather when necessary, and it would help if one could also become a third down, pass formatioin back and/or a goalline back. Hyppolite did play some (mostly as a third down passblocking TB) during our run to the Fiesta Bowl two years ago, but has showed little through a lot of injuries. Delorenzo -- who knows. Williams shows a lot of promise, and frosh can play at TB, but we'll have to see. At the worse, this position should improve from last year just because Lyle should be better and we can't be worse off behind him than we were. But will it be materially better? Again, we will have to see.

Reaction Score
Liked what I saw from DeLorenzo in the Spring. Would like to see more of Williams too. Maybe the UMass game provides that opportunity. It does seem thin but there is talent. We need a healthy McCombs while the other 2 get some more experience.

FB still a question mark but another year of experience can't hurt for Frank and maybe Osiecki brings something unique to the table. I guess they can decide how much to emphasize the position based on performance. We don't have that luxury on say, OL..

Reaction Score
Again, Biz, thanks for doing these.

Amazes me that we have not been able to put a stable of more highly touted backs in place after having kids like Cauley, Brown and Todman go through the program. I simply don't get it. My conclusion is simply that we have some very real limitations with this current group. I may be old fashioned, but I just think you have to have a back who can bang out one or two yards when you need it and LM is not that back. The question then is, can any of the other backs do that?

I am guardedly optimistic that Williams could be a big help to us. He's touted as very fast and has good size. So we'll have to see.

Donald Brown was just a terrific college back and I loved watching him run behind that big physical line. I know, I know.......those backs don't come around all the time.....

Reaction Score
McCombs doesn't have the physical gifts of size and speed that are on the depth chart behind him. What he does have, is the experience and ability to pass protect in this offense, and the heart of a lion. Until one of the other backs, can demonstrate that they're not a liability in pass protections, I don't expect to see much of anybody on the field other than McCombs, except in obvious passing situations where they're either going to be tested in pass blocking, or get a draw play. That kid McCombs is something else, and I love him. Mighty Mouse. He's shockingly little for a division 1-A back. 5'7? 165lbs? There are 12 year olds out there bigger than that. He gets the job done though. DeLorenzo, Williams, and Hyppolite will get their shots to get carries and game reps though, I think.

I can't wait for the first time that Joe Williams springs one and takes it to the house though. That kid is fast. Fast.

Reaction Score
I think LM had a very nice year last year as a RSF.

But, good in pass protection? Really? He went from abysmal to borderline as the season went on to my eye. Cauley, as a small back, was a very good blocker, and LM has a long way to go to get to that level........a long way.

Reaction Score
I think McCombs was doing very well in pass protections by the end of the season. In the beginning of the season, nobody, including the OL and the backs, knew what the heck they were doing in pass protections.

Reaction Score

But, good in pass protection? Really? He went from abysmal to borderline as the season went on to my eye. Cauley, as a small back, was a very good blocker, and LM has a long way to go to get to that level........a long way.

I think this is closer to the truth than Carl's position. Did he get better as the year went on? Yes. But he was still well below average. I can't imagine that Hyppolite, if nothing else, can't help us out by doing this.

Reaction Score
Hopes on Williams based on beat writers frequent observations in spring.
An apology for going a little OT, would Foxx go RS to learn this year?

Reaction Score
Hopes on Williams based on beat writers frequent observations in spring.
An apology for going a little OT, would Foxx go RS to learn this year?

I was going to discuss that when we get to WR, but based on the released depth chart to date, I'd be shocked if at least one of Abrams and Foxx didn't redshirt this year after playing as true frosh last year. Which one, I have no clue. But I doubt both will, as one of them will be on the two deep in a three WR formation.

Reaction Score

Cauley wasn't small, he was short. He probably had 25 lbs. on LM and, prior to his injury, hit like a truck.

Reaction Score
I could turn this into a go to the film argument, but I'll save that for when we have things to look at from this seaso, and just blather a bit. I think the perception that McCombs wasn't a good blocker, was because he's so damn small. It's tough to put a pancake down on the gridiron when you're 165 soaking wet and trying to stop 230+ coming at full speed. His progression went like this to me......no idea what to do.....and idea what to do, but physically unable to do anything about it.....an idea what to do, and learning how to use what leverage he's got in that body to actually block somebody (a lot of missed cut blocks coming up with air during this stage), and then finally reaching the stage of being able to be in the right spot, and slow the guy coming down.

McCombs is our guy, for the forseeable future. I love him. He's not the physically gifted kind of runner we've had in the past, and he;s got guys behind that are more gifted, and he wil lcontinue to have them behind him. It doesn't matter, becuase he's got every bit of the heart and attitude you want in a player. This kid reminds of our QB from way back , DeGennaro. DeGennaro was short, light, and not particularly strong armed. Kind of fell into the starting job early on in his career. But he was a player, and he had people behind him on the depth chart that wanted his job, that were much more talented and gifted, but never pushed him out until he graduated, because he produced and won games. I can see McCombs being a multiple year starter for this program, and putting up record book type numbers, simply because he's got all the intangibles of a player, and wants to be on the field, and nobody is going to take that job from him, now that he's got it. He is most definitely not the physical ideal that this staff wnats in a back, which are the players in line behind him.

If Todman doesn't go early to the draft, if Frey stays, if Shoemate isn't injured, McCombs most likely doesn't get the clear opportunity to be the featured back in this offense, for more than a season, if at all. But he's got a clear shot to be the feature back now, for a long time. I'm looking forward to seeing the little guy run the ball.

Reaction Score
Cauley wasn't small, he was short. He probably had 25 lbs. on LM and, prior to his injury, hit like a truck.
For old farts like me: Caulley= Don Nottingham with SPEED!

Reaction Score
I can't believe how little respect there is for McCombs though. I mean, for all his supposed limitations he still ran for over 1000 yards and was an All-conference back. Early in the season he was a look out blocker, but as the year went on, he got quite a bit better...though sometimes he was just over matched when he had to go head to head on some 6-3, 250 linebacker coming with a head of steam on the blitz. He could cut very quickly and made guys miss. He might not be Jordan Todman or Donald Brown, but he isn't a bad guy to have carrying the ball...

Reaction Score
I can't believe how little respect there is for McCombs though. I mean, for all his supposed limitations he still ran for over 1000 yards and was an All-conference back. Early in the season he was a look out blocker, but as the year went on, he got quite a bit better...though sometimes he was just over matched when he had to go head to head on some 6-3, 250 linebacker coming with a head of steam on the blitz. He could cut very quickly and made guys miss. He might not be Jordan Todman or Donald Brown, but he isn't a bad guy to have carrying the ball...

I was comparing size, only. How can one not respect LM? He performs by getting the maximum out of whatever gifts he was given. Given that LM was marked by every team he played, his accomplishments are more than remarkable.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the analysis as always, BL. Glad to know we're at the time of year when this is all relevant again. Ah, so close, so close.

I tend to agree on the analysis about McCombs. He did a bang-up job given how small he is and how trivially little the passing game helped him. I'm not entirely sure even Todman could've had a great year with absolutely no passing attack. That being said, I am a little concerned about Pasqualoni's "Jaguar" remarks in that he wants an every down back and it worries me that the guys behind McCombs aren't gonna get the kind of carries they need to develop.

I am optimistic that someone rises to the occasion, but I am a little concerned about McCombs as an every down back.

Reaction Score
That kid McCombs is something else, and I love him. Mighty Mouse. He's shockingly little for a division 1-A back. 5'7? 165lbs? There are 12 year olds out there bigger than that.

to be fair some 12 year olds are pretty huge. i was thinking of this the other day and you gave me a good reason to link it. if you haven't seen it it's pretty hilarious to see a 13 year old Andy Reid amongst his peers

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
to be fair some 12 year olds are pretty huge. i was thinking of this the other day and you gave me a good reason to link it. if you haven't seen it it's pretty hilarious to see a 13 year old Andy Reid amongst his peers

Wait, what? I mean....what?.......how does.....what?

Reaction Score
Caulley was 5'7 but a rock solid 185lbs... If we can LM to at least 180 I'd be a little happier.. I already have the utmost respect the Mario Van Peebles clone but I just hope he can get a tad more size...

Reaction Score
My concerns going into this season are (in this order):

1. The play of the OL. How do they respond to a below standard performance in 2011 when they replace our 2 best OLinemen.
2. We have to see improved play from Whitmer. He doesn't have to be all league, but competent play at the QB will go a long way.
3. The depth (or lack thereof) at the RB position. We know what we have in McCombs. We have no idea what we have behind him. We really need someone to step up.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Love McCombs. The funny thing about McCombs is that there were times last season when he hit the wrong hole, he couldn't break the tackle that DB/AD/JT(junior year) would have, he couldn't break away from the pack. Sometimes a kid just doesn't pass the eye test. He doesn't have the measureables. And then you put him on the field, and he delivers. And delivers. And delivers - to the tune of a freshman year comparable to TC and Tory Taylor(man I had high hopes for him). I think McCombs will continue to grow and he'll have another 1k season with his cohorts getting more yards this year. He's shiftier than some in this thread have stated - not TC shifty, but he's got some shake. Part of growing as a running back is learning how to use that wiggle in tight space or even in the open field. As a freshman, you're running to daylight and trying not to get smacked. As an upperclassman, you're setting up your blocks, letting your moves flow with what the defense gives you. You're waiting for a chance to spring a spin move on a safety. He'll be our go-to guy, and he'll be better in year two.

I am pretty excited about Osiecki. For lots of reasons - first because he was overshadowed at LB by some hugely talented kids, and this gives him a chance to get on the field and produce. Second because he's a CT kid. And third because he really does have some skills - he can put a hat on a defender and clear space, and he looks like a solid receiver out of the backfield. To me, FB is not the type of position you really need to grow into (a la Sherman as a freshman) - you get your blocking assignment and you pop the defender in the mouth. I think he can get in on around 40-50% of plays and will be a solid ST guy.

Reaction Score
As long as you can hold on to the rock and move the pile, put the best rb in. LM was great for a freshman. The comparisons to DB and JT are nonsense. We remember their final seasons not their first. Excited to see him run all over UMASS! 23 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom