2012 Big East OOC Battles | The Boneyard

2012 Big East OOC Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
In an attempt to talk about something that happens on the field rather than realignment or the Orange Bowl, I wanted to look at the Big East OOC games against "BCS conferences" and get everyone's take on how they think we will fare. When it comes right down to it, this is pretty much the biggest (and perhaps only) way we can boost the image of our conference. Here they are:

Cincy: Va. Tech
UConn: NCState, @Maryland
Louisville: Kentucky, UNC
Pitt: Va. Tech, @ND
Rutgers: @Arkansas
USF: Fla. State, @Miami
Syracuse: NW, USC, @Minn., @Mizzou
Temple: Maryland, @Penn State

I have colored the games in blue that I think the BE either should win or have a coin-flip chance of winning. I would love to pick up some wins against the teams in black, too; I'm hoping for a BCS OOC record of 10-6 or better. I think that I am most bothered by the conflicting feelings of rooting for Pitt and the Cuse, since even if they win, I'm not sure it boosts our image anyways. Love to hear what you all think...

Reaction Score
In an attempt to talk about something that happens on the field rather than realignment or the Orange Bowl, I wanted to look at the Big East OOC games against "BCS conferences" and get everyone's take on how they think we will fare. When it comes right down to it, this is pretty much the biggest (and perhaps only) way we can boost the image of our conference. Here they are:

Cincy: Va. Tech
UConn: NCState, @Maryland
Louisville: Kentucky, UNC
Pitt: Va. Tech, @ND
Rutgers: @Arkansas
USF: Fla. State, @Miami
Syracuse: NW, USC, @Minn., @Mizzou
Temple: Maryland, @Penn State

I have colored the games in blue that I think the BE either should win or have a coin-flip chance of winning. I would love to pick up some wins against the teams in black, too; I'm hoping for a BCS OOC record of 10-6 or better. I think that I am most bothered by the conflicting feelings of rooting for Pitt and the Cuse, since even if they win, I'm not sure it boosts our image anyways. Love to hear what you all think...
10-6 works. SU and Pitt take 6 losses, the rest win out.

Reaction Score
10-6 works. SU and Pitt take 6 losses, the rest win out.
Rutgers beating Arkansas would be the upset of the year. Won't happen but wish it would. Connecticut sweeping their out of conference schedule is do-able if the offense comes together early. The O-line has to stay healthy and that more than anything might determine our fate this year. The running game will pick up...so will tight end contribution but the line has to be there to make a run for a BCS bowl. I know it's an obvious statement but I will be watching the O-line closely this year, more than in the past. I really feel that's the biggest key to our success. If they move people we're good to go. If they get moved we're screwed. Coaches P & D must realize that too, hence Deleon concentrating on them more and Foley moving to tight ends.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I think 8-8 will be a solid OOC record. There are a lot of very solid programs in that group.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless the off season realignment talk has my prognostiglobe out of whack, I see about 6 wins there, 9 tops.
UConn and UofL: 4-0
USF: 1-1 (They always seem to beat one Fla. team)
Cuse: 2-2 (I have no explanation other than NW and Minn are horrible)
Temple: 1-1 (predicting a long autumn for Randy, and a short winter. Or, is it the other way around?)
Cincy: 0-1 (This would be the 9th win, but I have no read on VT this year)
Pitt: 0-2 (My master realignment plan requires they beat ND, No playoff berths => Sad leprechauns=> UConn salvation)
Rutgers: 0-1 (would be a nice win, but I don't see it happening)

For 6 wins I have us losing to NC State and USF losing both games, Cuse could continue to be Cuse. We need some people to step up. I'm looking at you Pitt.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Unless the off season realignment talk has my prognostiglobe out of whack, I see about 6 wins there, 9 tops.
UConn and UofL: 4-0
USF: 1-1 (They always seem to beat one Fla. team)
Cuse: 2-2 (I have no explanation other than NW and Minn are horrible)
Temple: 1-1 (predicting a long autumn for Randy, and a short winter. Or, is it the other way around?)
Cincy: 0-1 (This would be the 9th win, but I have no read on VT this year)
Pitt: 0-2 (My master realignment plan requires they beat ND, No playoff berths => Sad leprechauns=> UConn salvation)
Rutgers: 0-1 (would be a nice win, but I don't see it happening)

For 6 wins I have us losing to NC State and USF losing both games, Cuse could continue to be Cuse. We need some people to step up. I'm looking at you Pitt.

That's fair, and I can certainly see this scenario playing out. I'm thinking that reality might put us around where Huskypantz was thinking; about 8-8. My 10-6 prognostication was the more positive looking outcome. I'm not sure I can see it being any higher than 10-6, I'm afraid. But if it is higher than 10-6, that would be a nice shot in the arm for the conference. I think a lot of us are looking at that Rutgers - Arkansas game as one that might have a lot of "respect factor" tied to it, so I'm hoping that Jersey Shore can pull that one out...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let's look at this another way, by ranking the games.

Losses:

USC at Syracuse
Pitt at VTech
Syracuse at Missouri

Likely losses:

Pitt at Notre Dame - ND is still just a borderline Top 20 team, but Pitt looks like a 4 or 5 win squad.

Rutgers at Arkansas - Rutgers is good, but Arkansas is really, really good.

Northwestern at Syracuse - Syracuse is going to be terrible this year.

Temple at Penn State - Temple played them tough last year in Philly, but Temple lost a fair amount off that team.

Toss ups:

Florida State at USF - USF gets up for these games, and I think FSU is a little overrated. This is barely a tossup though, because I think FSU is still too much for USF.

Syracuse at Minnesota - Pillow fight.

Cincinnati at VTech - this game will be a great matchup between two teams that I think could be better than expected.

UNC at Louisville - I think Louisville will be a lot better, but UNC still has a lot of talent from Davis' cheating. I am surprised more guys haven't been tossed off the team.

Likely wins:

NC State at UConn - NC State has lost some talent, and UConn has a lot coming back plus should see a major upgrade at QB.

USF at Miami - USF is going to be good, and Miami looks like it could struggle. USF should win this game.

UConn at Maryland - Maryland looks pretty bad this year.

Maryland at Temple - Temple blew them out last year at Maryland.

Win:

Kentucky at Louisville

Realistically, the Big East is going 7-9.

Reaction Score
Other big games:

Boise @ Michigan State
SMU @Baylor, home vs Texas A&M and TCU
Houston @UCLA
San Diego State @Washington
Memphis @Duke (battle of the bottom feeders)
UCF @Ohio State, home vs Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak