20 National Championships - 27th in the NCAA | The Boneyard

20 National Championships - 27th in the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
11 B1G schools on the list. 5 SEC schools. Pac-12 has 9. We're in an excellent position. People keep saying women's sports don't matter. We wouldn't be on that list if they didn't include women's sports.

Reaction Score
Interestingly...this list specifically excludes Div. I football championships (which have never been an NCAA awarded title).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Another opportunity for me to gripe about how the Capital One College Cup rankings are BS because they're split by gender. If you want to recognize excellence in athletic departments, you should combine men's and women's sports together and see who comes out on top.

Reaction Score
WVU racks up a lot of NC's with their Rifle Team. Sixteen NCAA Championships in Rifle.

If you shoot well, West Virginia seems to be the place to be.

Reaction Score
It appears they are leaving off the 1948 Soccer National Championship. UConn would be near the top of the list if that data was compiled using championships since 1980. Here's another interesting fact, over the past two decades, UConn mens basketball has won as many National Championships as the Big Ten, Pac, and Big 12. . .combined.

Edit: Adding the 1948 Soccer Team puts us tied for 25th with UVA and Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Interestingly...this list specifically excludes Div. I football championships (which have never been an NCAA awarded title).
What's interesting about a list of NCAA championships not counting stuff that doesn't meet the criteria. Interestingly, I guess, this list specifically excludes Big East championships. Holy cow! All my old high school's championships aren't included either.

Reaction Score
Another opportunity for me to gripe about how the Capital One College Cup rankings are BS because they're split by gender. If you want to recognize excellence in athletic departments, you should combine men's and women's sports together and see who comes out on top.
In Storrs, the women come out on top, which is nice.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
WVU racks up a lot of NC's with their Rifle Team. Sixteen NCAA Championships in Rifle.

If you shoot well, West Virginia seems to be the place to be.

If only the NCAA recognized polo as a sport. We'd top the list. :-D

Reaction Score
I think you're missing one.

Women's hoops - 10
Men's hoops - 4
Women's field hockey - 2 (4 total)
Men's soccer - 1 (3 total, 2 NCAA)

You are right. I forgot the 2000 soccer championship. Another sport that we are undefeated in championship games.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In Storrs, the women come out on top, which is nice.

Another reason why UConn would've been a perfect partner for UMD, which also has lots of women's championships, something most of the B1G doesn't have.

Unless your comment was sexual innuendo... in which case disregard.

Reaction Score
In Storrs, the women come on top, which is nice.
and they do it more frequantlyand louder than women at other schools.
(deleted the word "out" from your OP)

Reaction Score
That list is little behind - Minnesota now has 18 - but Women's Hockey doesn't move the needle for agenda driven Minny alum.

The Wiki list is sometimes more to date than NCAA.org. But the NCAA source is best when up to date because it's official, thus keep this resource handy. It also shows the recognized sports. They use to update this list every quarter.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/champs_records_book/Overall.pdf

Reaction Score
Another reason why UConn would've been a perfect partner for UMD, which also has lots of women's championships, something most of the B1G doesn't have.

Unless your comment was sexual innuendo... in which case disregard.

Jeez, if we only could have won the 1949 fencing title...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Jeez, if we only could have won the 1949 fencing title...

Then we would've been way ahead of the curve in teaching women to defend themselves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom