1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va)

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This is sad. Incredibly sad.
You need to recalibrate your sad meter. You could say this is underwhelming, or unimpressive, or meh. But you can't call one high school kid committing to a football program "sad" without looking at least a little silly.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, when this was announced and I saw his offer list, the first thing I thought was, "whaler is going to hate this"

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok dude. We get it. You don't like the feel of this kid for our program.

BUT ... I think the fact that we have so much depth at QB right now, and the fact that this was always going to be a small class must have meant the staff was not going to cast as large of a net as they would have, say ... last year. Also, his tape is crazy. Call us all naive if you'd like, but I think we're all [not so irrationally] choosing to believe that Diaco actually does see something in this kid that you're not.

I don't understand why anyone should continue to be surprised and frankly disappointed. We are basically starting over and until we win on the field and manage to refill the Rent, it won't be pretty.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the saddest thing of this all is that UConn is actually using the hashtag #work2win

Good lord that is pathetic. Most have been concocted when brainstorming the Civil Conflict.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You need to recalibrate your sad meter. You could say this is underwhelming, or unimpressive, or meh. But you can't call one high school kid committing to a football program "sad" without looking at least a little silly.

For the record I was quoting UConn07 - and maybe if you aren't paying attention he doesn't strike you as a pathetic shill for this staff.

I'd guess you'd have to know his history of editing the lies off his blog to understand he has zero credibility?

Sorry I'll make it clearer when I'm calling out a poster and not a player - clearly people missed that.

As much as I like mets1090 - you really believe my posts have an impact on the fan base. It's not 15-31 and 5-19. It's ol whaler that is the problem.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cry me a mother- river.

I'm sick to death of hearing about offer lists. It is true that a player with offers/interest from higher-ranked schools coming out of high school has a higher likelihood of being a successful CFB player than a player with mid-major/1AA interest and offers.

But at this level, there's no certainty about it at all. It's just stupid to dig graves for these kids before they even see the field. Shows an awfully high amount of cockiness. This kid committing doesn't bother me. I don't find it sad or pathetic, and to do so I think you have to be so married to a particular narrative that you can't rationally apply nuance to a situation.

So you are saying that you agree with me about the macro point and the point doesn't apply to every individual player?

I hate to break the news but you agree with me even if you don't like how and when I say it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Well when you get more tired of losing than hearing about offer lists maybe you'll make the connection.

I'll go away for a while because I'm not sorry that I hold the program to a higher standard than pathetic also-ran.

If 5-19 hasn't register yet for some of you - probably nothing will.

So you are saying that you agree with me about the macro point and the point doesn't apply to every individual player?

I hate to break the news but you agree with me even if you don't like how and when I say it.

Good to know that "a while" is approximately two days.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Did you?

I'm pretty sure my first post in this thread was about liking our first recruit being a young QB who showed leadership skills by being the first to sign on.

What was you first post here about?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did you?

I'm pretty sure my first post in this thread was about liking our first recruit being a young QB who showed leadership skills by being the first to sign on.

What was you first post here about?

My first post was about how the staff is underachieving in recruiting.

Which seems to be about football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bump

Maybe we can get something productive out of this thread. I'll stop pointing out that UConn07/Malloy32 has zero credibility if he admits to editing his blog calling out the fanbase in the stadium while he watched on TV from 5 miles away.

I'll even spot him an admission. I was wrong about Casey Cochran. He played much better than I thought he would.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Whaler, I try and keep my posts here as light, funny and positive as possible. I understand that's not everyone's style or how they choose to express themselves here. But you have a sh^tload of posts, do you have no other outlet to vent that impossibly negative outlook you have?

My 1st instinct was to bait you into some sort of funny messageboard war. But then I realized how screwed up this world is because we don't try and understand one another.

PM me, I'll buy you a beer at the Villanova game and we can talk about how our approach as a UConn fan differs.

Reaction Score
For the record I was quoting UConn07 - and maybe if you aren't paying attention he doesn't strike you as a pathetic shill for this staff.

I'd guess you'd have to know his history of editing the lies off his blog to understand he has zero credibility?

Sorry I'll make it clearer when I'm calling out a poster and not a player - clearly people missed that.

As much as I like mets1090 - you really believe my posts have an impact on the fan base. It's not 15-31 and 5-19. It's ol whaler that is the problem.

Still on that changing the story stance? Maybe you actually misread that article the first time you read it. Not a big deal, but you seem to harp on it over and over. Your opinion is your opinion, that's fine, but the truth is what the truth is. I'm sure the article is still posted somewhere online if you want to go back and check.

The post you replied to was a direct quote from the 247 link about Donovan's recruitment, not mine. Just posting info that is out there, not my words.

As for the shill for the staff, you have your opinion, I have mine. Only time will tell if this staff and group of players will be a success or not. As a fan and obvious supporter of UConn, I would hope you actually root for their success and that of the program than the other way around.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Still on that changing the story stance? Maybe you actually misread that article the first time you read it. Not a big deal, but you seem to harp on it over and over. Your opinion is your opinion, that's fine, but the truth is what the truth is. I'm sure the article is still posted somewhere online if you want to go back and check.

The post you replied to was a direct quote from the 247 link about Donovan's recruitment, not mine. Just posting info that is out there, not my words.

As for the shill for the staff, you have your opinion, I have mine. Only time will tell if this staff and group of players will be a success or not. As a fan and obvious supporter of UConn, I would hope you actually root for their success and that of the program than the other way around.

Really you just won't admit that you edited your story?

Me and others who read it and have posted about it must have all misread the same thing. We all invented the passage where you bragged about the new TV your girlfriend bought you to watch the game on while you were critical on the size of the crowd.

If you don't want any credibility as a prospective writer that's your call.

At least we know if I'm wrong about Diaco I'll gladly admit it.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Maybe we can get something productive out of this thread. I'll stop pointing out that UConn07/Malloy32 has zero credibility if he admits to editing his blog calling out the fanbase in the stadium while he watched on TV from 5 miles away.

I'll even spot him an admission. I was wrong about Casey Cochran. He played much better than I thought he would.

That awkward moment when you find yourself balls deep in a Boneyard fight you might not understand the way you thought you understood when getting involved.

I'm going to keep throwing jabs at everyone until I figure out which fighter I want to get behind.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Really you just won't admit that you edited your story?

Me and others who read it and have posted about it must have all misread the same thing. We all invented the passage where you bragged about the new TV your girlfriend bought you to watch the game on while you were critical on the size of the crowd.

If you don't want any credibility as a prospective writer that's your call.

At least we know if I'm wrong about Diaco I'll gladly admit it.

Seriously, does The BY have an OnDemand function?

How the hell do I log on 3,000 times a day and not know what's going down here?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That awkward moment when you find yourself balls deep in a Boneyard fight you might not understand the way you thought you understood when getting involved.

I'm going to keep throwing jabs at everyone until I figure out which fighter I want to get behind.

Eh it's not that big of a deal.

UConn07 in his prior posting life wrote his own blog. I think it was the Towson game and he killed the fanbase for the lack of attendance while bragging about the new TV he watched the game on.

When he got called out he edited his post claiming to be at the game. For some bizarre reason he won't admit he rewrote it. A bunch of people totally misread it.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I think the saddest thing of this all is that UConn is actually using the hashtag #work2win

Good lord that is pathetic. Most have been concocted when brainstorming the Civil Conflict.

The Uconnfbfacts account isn't affiliated with UConn. It is run by Drew and few other posters on this board.

Reaction Score
I was yelling at Weist for Casey to be the starter at the Louisville game while he was on the field moving the offense down the field as Moses brought the tribe of Israel across the Red Sea when barely anyone was left. I know he heard and was paying attention to the idea. You guys own me season tickets for life. :D

Just kidding. Some of you have been kind and a blast to meet and hang with. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Uconnfbfacts account isn't affiliated with UConn. It is run by Drew and few other posters on this board.

That hashtag was on the top of the rent promo sent out by UConn.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I'm fairly confident nothing on here has any impact on the overall fan base. That was kind of my point. I thought your post was basically saying that people were ridiculous for trying not to say anything mean about the program etc. I was just flipping the script a bit because in reality the whalers and Confident Carls of the world really have no impact on the program.

The main difference is that the people that still frequent this board (yourself included) are here because they desperately want this program to turn around and really don't care to hear nothing but negativity because we all know the team is in the dumpster right now. It's been talked about. A lot. For like 3 years now. Literally 1,000 days of negativity. Just because most of the posters have moved on from posting negativity non stop doesn't mean they suddenly forgot that the program is in a lot of trouble. It's just that everything that can be said on the topic has been said.

There isn't a coach in this game that would both (1) be able to recruit players in high demand to this program and (2) actually sign on to coach this team right now so I don't even know how you can claim the staff is under achieving. That implies they are below expectations. What recruiting expectations (as they relate to stars and offer lists) can you even have for a team that is stuck in a bad conference and has had our record over the last 4 years? We have to expect the staff to be able to find diamonds in the rough but we literally have no way of knowing who those guys are until at least 2016. I'm not excited about any of these prospects for that same reason. You'll see tons of people venting about poor performances during the season, especially those that are the result of coaching decisions. Venting about not getting a ton of 3+ star players with P5 offers simply doesn't even make sense at this point. The 2 star commits will start rolling in throughout the summer just like they did last year and like they always did for Edsall.

I honestly don't give a damn if you want to post negative things. I just don't see how you can be so shocked that fans of a program that is 15-33 over the last 4 years are tired of hearing negative things and have turned their offseason attention towards anticipating seeing the players that are committed to trying to turn this program around.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

The difference between the two of us is that I'm not chomping at the bit to throw these kids under the bus already. Nobody knows whether this kid will pan out. The fact that he happened to be committed to JMU beforehand is not to be seen as solid proof of anything.

Also, your "playing the victim" shtick is just getting old. From what I gather, you're a guy with a nice job and enough money to afford season tickets. If anything, that makes me a tad bit envious, not sorry for you. So you feel attacked on an online message board; congratulations, welcome to the internet. I don't lose sleep over what goes on here and neither should you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom