1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

1st Commit 2016: 6' 4" QB Donovan Williams (Va)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Williams runs a 4.59

From QB Hit List, who ranks Williams as a 4-star:

http://www.qbhitlist.com/user-profile/?userid=7271

SIZE:
Donovan has ideal "college ready" size as a dual threat qb at 6-4, 210 lbs. His frame is still capable of adding another 10-15 lbs without losing much on agility. He displays elite mobility for a player of his size and his height allows him to easily see over the line while in the pocket.
ACCURACY:
He does a nice job getting the ball to his receivers on the short and intermediate routes. He's able to throw the ball in zone coverage with good velocity and shows good timing and anticipation on the pass routes. He can work to improve on his deep throws which tend to hang in the air just a bit too long.
ARM STRENGTH:
His arm is capable of getting the ball downfield vertically but can also lower the rpm's to add a nice touch on his shorter throws. He's able to throw the ball across his body to either side of the field and let's it rip on his throws while on the run.
RELEASE:
Donovan has very good throwing mechanics, holding the ball at the proper position (chest high) before set up and using a quick compact release to get the ball out with little wasted effort. He's able to get his legs and hips into his throws creating good torque and momentum.
THROW ON THE RUN:
He shows great footwork and smooth body movement as he gets outside, keeping his head up while out of the pocket, becoming a passer first and a runner second. He does a nice job rotating his body towards his intended target and steps into his throws, delivering a catchable ball with plenty of zip.
FOOTWORK:
Donovan has outstanding speed and agility for a quarterback and is a major threat to run with the ball. He demonstrates good footwork in and around the pocket, with nice rhythm as he looks for an open receiver.
POISE:
He stands in the pocket with lots of confidence and patience. Donovan is able to evade the pass rush while still being able to get his throws off. He shows great composure in the pocket and doesn't lose his focus on the play.
POCKET PRESENCE:
He has terrific pocket awareness and displays good instincts when feeling the pressure from the defensive front. He's able to climb the pocket to make a play but can also slide in either direction to create some space for himself and open up some passing lanes.
DECISION MAKING:
Donovan seems very comfortable in the pocket as he goes through his progressions, using his mental clock effectively before the pocket folds. He tries to throw high completion passes and doesn't take many chances on the field, except on a few of his deep throws.
Touch:
He has a very nice touch on his deep throws and can get the ball over a defender in zone coverage while taking a little bit off the velocity to place it just right. Donovan has plenty to work within his passing game. He can hurt a defense in any given situation. A pure dual threat.

Areas for improvement (Accuracy)(Decision Making)

Reaction Score
Kill me however you'd like.

Flipping a JMU recruit for your first verbal is pathetic.

Not killing ya because I don't think you are ever content but WTF...

Two nights ago you were moaning that we didn't have a commit. Now we have a consensus 3* QB commit from a talent rich state and your moaning again? Cripes Whaler.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sometimes, you even outdo yourself.
Not killing ya because I don't think you are ever content but WTF...

Two nights ago you were moaning that we didn't have a commit. Now we have a consensus 3* QB commit from a talent rich state and your moaning again? Cripes Whaler.

Like I said- you can kill me. Your bonus is a ton of likes.

This program is recruting at an FCS level.

Nobody wants to hear it but you can't win beating James Madison for players.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Confirmed- Flipped from James Madison

I love that a QB is the first to commit for 2017! It screams leadership.

Drive the bus, Donovan! Drive the bus!!

uconn-shuttle-bus.jpg

Reaction Score
More on his recruitment from 9/2014 via 247sports:

http:// /Bolt/Penn-State-close-to-offering-QB--31393683

WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Dual-threat quarterback Donovan Williams (Woodbridge, Va./CD Hylton) had an eye-opening visit to Penn State this summer.

Williams said he likes the facilities. He was especially impressed with his meeting with coach James Franklin.

“He’s a great coach,” Williams said of Franklin. “I like his mindset and the way he carries himself, the way he presents himself. He talked about Twitter and how young athlettes don’t think before they tweet and tweet stupid stuff. I thought that was very relatable.”

Since September 1, Williams has been in talks with Penn State, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Purdue, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Williams has talked to area recruiter Brent Pry and quarterbacks coach Ricky Rahne for the Nittany Lions.

“They’ve shown the most interest in me,” Williams said of Penn State. “They’ve been the most consistent.”

Williams went to Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland this summer.

He also attended “Friday Night Lights” in late July at Florida.

In the spring, Williams felt Virginia was showing the most interest. He attended their home opener August 30 against UCLA.

“I really like Virginia as a school and program,” Williams said. “I like what they do with their QBs. They’re showing me some interest. I really like their school, an offer would be great.”

Georgia Tech is selling Williams to possibly be a triple option quarterback.

He could visit Georgia Tech later this fall.

Williams will attend the Ohio State at Penn State game on October 25.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder with 4.6 speed in the 40-yard dash listed high interest in Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech.

On Friday, Williams hit 18-of-21 passes for 200 yards and rushed for a touchdown in one half of action in a 47-10 win over Manassas, Va./Osbourn Park.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
More on his recruitment from 9/2014 via 247sports:

http:// /Bolt/Penn-State-close-to-offering-QB--31393683

WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Dual-threat quarterback Donovan Williams (Woodbridge, Va./CD Hylton) had an eye-opening visit to Penn State this summer.

Williams said he likes the facilities. He was especially impressed with his meeting with coach James Franklin.

“He’s a great coach,” Williams said of Franklin. “I like his mindset and the way he carries himself, the way he presents himself. He talked about Twitter and how young athlettes don’t think before they tweet and tweet stupid stuff. I thought that was very relatable.”

Since September 1, Williams has been in talks with Penn State, Georgia Tech, Maryland , Purdue, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Williams has talked to area recruiter Brent Pry and quarterbacks coach Ricky Rahne for the Nittany Lions.

“They’ve shown the most interest in me,” Williams said of Penn State. “They’ve been the most consistent.”

Williams went to Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland this summer.

He also attended “Friday Night Lights” in late July at Florida.

In the spring, Williams felt Virginia was showing the most interest. He attended their home opener August 30 against UCLA.

“I really like Virginia as a school and program,” Williams said. “I like what they do with their QBs. They’re showing me some interest. I really like their school, an offer would be great.”

Georgia Tech is selling Williams to possibly be a triple option quarterback.

He could visit Georgia Tech later this fall.

Williams will attend the Ohio State at Penn State game on October 25.

The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder with 4.6 speed in the 40-yard dash listed high interest in Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech.

On Friday, Williams hit 18-of-21 passes for 200 yards and rushed for a touchdown in one half of action in a 47-10 win over Manassas, Va./Osbourn Park.

This is sad. Incredibly sad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have 14,000+ posts and each and every one of them has made me lose my UConn bone.

Par for the course. Ignore the thousands of posts being positive when the program was good. Highlight pointing out where it is.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Par for the course. Ignore the thousands of posts being positive when the program was good. Highlight pointing out where it is.

I spend a lot of time here but I don't pretend to know the intimate history of the BY and your thousands of positive posts from the past.

I'm cool with you voicing your displeasure but your act is growing old. Who wants a fan that is only positive when the program's good?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Cry me a mother- river.

I'm sick to death of hearing about offer lists. It is true that a player with offers/interest from higher-ranked schools coming out of high school has a higher likelihood of being a successful CFB player than a player with mid-major/1AA interest and offers.

But at this level, there's no certainty about it at all. It's just stupid to dig graves for these kids before they even see the field. Shows an awfully high amount of cockiness. This kid committing doesn't bother me. I don't find it sad or pathetic, and to do so I think you have to be so married to a particular narrative that you can't rationally apply nuance to a situation.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

No what is sad is your constantly complain about everything this team has done over the last year or so. If you are that miserable, why do you continue to make others around you feel as you do.

Thinking you should only follow the women's basketball because they win all the time or at least most of the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cry me a mother- river.

I'm sick to death of hearing about offer lists. It is true that a player with offers/interest from higher-ranked schools coming out of high school has a higher likelihood of being a successful CFB player than a player with mid-major/1AA interest and offers.

But at this level, there's no certainty about it at all. It's just stupid to dig graves for these kids before they even see the field. Shows an awfully high amount of cockiness. This kid committing doesn't bother me. I don't find it sad or pathetic, and to do so I think you have to be so married to a particular narrative that you can't rationally apply nuance to a situation.

Well when you get more tired of losing than hearing about offer lists maybe you'll make the connection.

I'll go away for a while because I'm not sorry that I hold the program to a higher standard than pathetic also-ran.

If 5-19 hasn't register yet for some of you - probably nothing will.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No what is sad is your constantly complain about everything this team has done over the last year or so. If you are that miserable, why do you continue to make others around you feel as you do.

Thinking you should only follow the women's basketball because they win all the time or at least most of the time.

The program owes people like you a huge debt. They are on life-support from a fan standpoint. Why not attempt to chase away the last few people who don't treat the team like it's a Pop Warner team.

Can't have anyone saying anything mean about our team.

Reaction Score
I, for one, am impressed that Coach Diaco & Co. could entice a player to Storrs that was in James Franklin's cross hairs. He's a star recruiter & motivator. So, if Donovan ends up in National Flag Blue (keeping fingers crossed until signing day is complete), I'm satisfied.

Reaction Score
Whaler are you seriously so blind in your mission that you can't look at that kids tape and see he is the type of kid we need on the path to get exactly where you want to be? He is a very good athlete, that much is clear, a play maker, something we are of short supply! But you only focus on who else offered damn the facts.
We all realize where we are, your not the only one who sees it, and you certainly are not anymore in the know than anyone else. Believe it or not we don't need to be reminded in every thread. Maybe when you start seeing that you...never mind you'll never see it, you like to complain for the sake of it.

Reaction Score
Williams ranked 3rd in DC Elite 11 finishing slightly behind 4 star and Maryland commit, Dwayne Haskins:

http://www.qbhitlist.com/dc-elite-11-complete-rankings/

Finally, Fox Sports describes Williams as a prospect with a 'big upside.'

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/blue-chip/east-recruiting-notebook-031115
not only that- but looks like he's a smart football player too.

I currently boast a 3.45 GPA, I take Honors Classes as well. Currently ranked 120 out of a class of 574. "Donovan has all the attributes of a big time D1 QB, Intelligence, Strong Arm and Brilliant Feet."

- Donovan Williams

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'm not sure that I want to get into this but in an earlier thread you were stating that until we start landing top recruits we won't get anywhere with the football program. In the above statement your gripe is that when a kid who we believe has verbally committed here was impressed with the facilities and head coach of top school from his home state.

Did you actually believe that it would be possible to accomplish the former without having to deal with the latter occasionally turning up?

Reaction Score
not only that- but looks like he's a smart football player too.

I currently boast a 3.45 GPA, I take Honors Classes as well. Currently ranked 120 out of a class of 574. "Donovan has all the attributes of a big time D1 QB, Intelligence, Strong Arm and Brilliant Feet."

- Donovan Williams
RKG and wants to major in Finance which isn't the easiest of subjects. Heck at Quinnipiac our freshman year, all business students had to attend a presentation on FINANCE 201 to make us aware of extra help groups, study groups, pass and fail rates etc of past classes. He sounds like a very intelligent young man with a lot of athletic talent to boot. While it is early in the recruiting process and it is a long way until Signing Day, it is great to have a recruit of his caliber on board.

Reaction Score
Forget the QB and sign the OL. Looking at most of the plays on the link they gave him more than enough time to do whatever he wanted with the ball.
At first I had the very same thought but later in the tape as a few plays broke down this kid made magic with his feet. We do have to remember these are highlight films and offer all the best plays leaving out any clunkers.
Having said that I welcome him and hope he brings along a few good linemen with him.

Kill me however you'd like.
Flipping a JMU recruit for your first verbal is pathetic.
Whale, no killing or spitting match here. I see you create enough of those. I will say though if you are really a fan of this team you have a most unique way of making a very competent, (three stars, high IQ) player and his family feel welcome to ours. Credit when due though your venom is second to none.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The program owes people like you a huge debt. They are on life-support from a fan standpoint. Why not attempt to chase away the last few people who don't treat the team like it's a Pop Warner team.

Can't have anyone saying anything mean about our team.
I'm sure spewing nothing but negativity about every bit of news won't drive away any remaining or potential fans. Lulz.

Reaction Score
Ok dude. We get it. You don't like the feel of this kid for our program.

BUT ... I think the fact that we have so much depth at QB right now, and the fact that this was always going to be a small class must have meant the staff was not going to cast as large of a net as they would have, say ... last year. Also, his tape is crazy. Call us all naive if you'd like, but I think we're all [not so irrationally] choosing to believe that Diaco actually does see something in this kid that you're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom