1-2 vs. Top 25 | The Boneyard

1-2 vs. Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Beat Michigan State, close losses to New Mexico and NC State. Not bad for a team that has a limited front court and its two best players are under 6'. Ollie is doing an incredible job. We can complain about substitutions, but he has to play the cards he is dealt. This is an amazing job by a very good coach.

Reaction Score
Agreed, the Germany trip and the trip to the Bahamas caught up with them against New Mexico, they looked dead tired, if we played them again I have no doubt we would win.

Reaction Score
NM game was a joke, definitely beat that team 9/10 times.

Reaction Score
Didn't see the 2H vs NCSt. Wha happened?

Their size and skill around the rim was the difference. The kid Howell had a double-double in the second half alone. We still hung in and tied it with under five minutes to go and then had a horrific 60 seconds of basketball - three bad possessions leading to three leakout lay-ups for NC State - that put us behind by six, and we never caught them after that.

With just under two minutes left, we got a stop down four, and as we were running out to head the other way, the rebound came loose from Boat's hands and Leslie picked it up and dunked it. Boat then hit a three, but NC State ran a good play with a dump down pass for an "and one" to Howell to go up five, missed the FT, but got the offensive rebound and killed a good chunk of clock.

Reaction Score
Their size and skill around the rim was the difference. The kid Howell had a double-double in the second half alone. We still hung in and tied it with under five minutes to go and then had a horrific 60 seconds of basketball - three bad possessions leading to three leakout lay-ups for NC State - that put us behind by six, and we never caught them after that.

With just under two minutes left, we got a stop down four, and as we were running out to head the other way, the rebound came loose from Boat's hands and Leslie picked it up and dunked it. Boat then hit a three, but NC State ran a good play with a dump down pass for an "and one" to Howell to go up five, missed the FT, but got the offensive rebound and killed a good chunk of clock.

A huge play too Gurley and all on Omar........one pet peeve I have is rebounding on foul shots. If everyone does their job by boxing out (and the ref's don't allow the 2nd in guys to push the low block guy in) the defense should get the rebound 90% of time........The ONLY way Howell get's that rebound is if someone is lazy and guess what, Omar was. NC State to my recollection had no one in on the FT to rebound and UConn 2 low and Omar's job to block out the shooter - he didn't get there and in turn all chances of a comeback are gone. Do your job please it's not tough, step in and keep the shooter out and you get the ball down just 4 and very much alive. Bad job by the frosh there.........

Reaction Score
Agreed, the Germany trip and the trip to the Bahamas caught up with them against New Mexico, they looked dead tired, if we played them again I have no doubt we would win.

I think fatigue cost us the NC State game as well (i.e. the players who played hard). No travel excuse this time but 3 players against 5 wore them team down.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I just look at the steals we in the NC State game that we failed to turn into points... that could have offset the size advantage that NC State clearly had.

I agree... anyone who is dissapointed overall with this team is looking for a reason to crap on Ollie.

Reaction Score
Size against NCS killed us, not only in rebounding but in altered shots. We got enough turnovers, but we didn't convert them into points. Boat and Bazz seem hell bent on challenging inside. Stop and pop guys.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A huge play too Gurley and all on Omar........one pet peeve I have is rebounding on foul shots. If everyone does their job by boxing out (and the ref's don't allow the 2nd in guys to push the low block guy in) the defense should get the rebound 90% of time........The ONLY way Howell get's that rebound is if someone is lazy and guess what, Omar was. NC State to my recollection had no one in on the FT to rebound and UConn 2 low and Omar's job to block out the shooter - he didn't get there and in turn all chances of a comeback are gone. Do your job please it's not tough, step in and keep the shooter out and you get the ball down just 4 and very much alive. Bad job by the frosh there.........
I was going to point this out. Glad you did. I agree. OC did not block out the shooter. Definitely a freshman learning curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom